The crowd was terrible this year (Is it just me?)

nebuntyn

Actually, the sectional-tournament plan did not end up in a final 4 at state, at least not as played--it just added a fourth game you could lose in the tournament series and still end up winning state. I never heard anything about a plan to take only section winners. (The biggest complaints I heard were over the byes given to the region winners.)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well really, who's showing up for an afternoon game on a work/school day except for the kids that are getting out of school and will pay any amount to watch a basketball game rather than sit in a classroom and the parents of the players and the TSSAA guys that have to be there?

16 district tournaments send 4 teams to region. One week.

8 regions send 2 teams to Super Sectional. One week.

4 Super Sectionals play on Monday and Tuesday. Final Four on Friday and Saturday. One week

Actually, the sectional-tournament plan did not end up in a final 4 at state, at least not as played--it just added a fourth game you could lose in the tournament series and still end up winning state. I never heard anything about a plan to take only section winners. (The biggest complaints I heard were over the byes given to the region winners.)

The original plan was to only take the sectional winners. Of that I am sure. Then they decided to do the crazy regional consolation game and have 6 teams in the sectionals wit hthe top 2 going to state. I think the plan was for 4 team sectionals originally and then it was changed because too many schools complained.

ks -

I'm game with that too. The only other thing I might do is take the top four from each district and divy it up to 4 16 team sectionals and skip the regional tournament alltogether. Play first two rounds at higher seeded schools and then play the sectional semis and finals at the same location. It'll never happen, but it would be nice.

That's fine by me, but you won't see as many regular season basketball games affected by football playoffs as baseball teams affected by basketball post season. Look at the freakin' calendar dude. It's on TSSAA.org. Still, week zero could be week 1, play 10 and cut the playoff field in half in football would be fine by me. The reality is that basketball has a 167 day season from start of practice to end of state. That's almost 24 weeks, 5 1/2 months, 46% of the whole year and 65% of the school year. It takes 5 of those 24 weeks to play the post season when it could easily be done in 3.

On top of all that, the dang thing isn't making money to boot. If you're competing against the NCAA's, sitting outside on a warm day to watch a baseball game or just plain burned out from a season that lasts half the year, then it seems to me that the problem has been identified. If you're solution oriented, like I am, then you address what you need to do to correct the problem instead of thinking that the status quo is working just fine.

Where do you think the money comes from to play your precious baseball games? Let me answer that for you, basketball and football. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

/huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> You don't have a clue what you're talking about. The funds for baseball are derived through the baseball booster club, baseball fundraisers and baseball concession and gate. Same for football and basketball. I'm in all 3 clubs. President of two. I know how the money is raised, believe me.

Ask anybody in Cheatham County. We don't get a dime for athletics. Each program raises all of their money themselves.

All that I'm asking for is to shorten a post season that drags on forever by scheduling the same number of games in a shorter time frame. I can't for the life of me see what's so hard for you to understand about the concept.

/huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> You don't have a clue what you're talking about. The funds for baseball are derived through the baseball booster club, baseball fundraisers and baseball concession and gate. Same for football and basketball. I'm in all 3 clubs. President of two. I know how the money is raised, believe me.

Ask anybody in Cheatham County. We don't get a dime for athletics. Each program raises all of their money themselves.

All that I'm asking for is to shorten a post season that drags on forever by scheduling the same number of games in a shorter time frame. I can't for the life of me see what's so hard for you to understand about the concept.

Not trying to understand it. I'm a basketball fan and I have played on school teams from 4th grade all the way through college. The length of the basketball season is a none issue to me and most other basketball fans and players. Apparently you don't get the concept that football overlaps basketball and basketball overlaps baseball it happens in every state at every level of competition [ high school, nba, mlb, nfl ]. The main reason things are not going to change is because they don't need to. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Guess I wasn't the only one that skipped the State Tournement....LOL Until something changes I won't be going back....EVER. Before people start bashing me just remember your not only bashing me your bashing everybody in every corner of the state....including your own area. If the State Tournement continues as is attendance will continue to drop....this wasn't the first year this event has had terrible attendance and wont be the last.

BTW, I go to plenty of games to. Probably more than most. This is just one event I have chosen to skip. I'm sticking with AAU and the highschool season up to substate and that's it for me.

Don't go head-to-head with the NCAA Tournament. You could do it before Tennessee was in it but not now.

Just move it out a week then because as far as anybody is ever going to see UT in the NCAA tournement is the sweet 16..and that's considered a deep run too...LOL forget anything beyond the sweet 16 with UT...just aint gonna happen.

There were complaints back then that having the two-day sectional made a lot of families have to choose whether to go to it (which most would since there is no guarantee that your team moves on) or wait and go to the state. Many of them could not afford the expenses of two overnight tournaments or to miss that many days of work.

Also, there have been years when the SEC tourney being in Nashville also impacted attendance. If you were to play both boys and girls the same week it would be best to do so the week before the SEC plays. That would make next year's state, for example, the week of Monday March 1 thru Saturday March 6.

Guest iamoz

16 district tournaments send 4 teams to region. One week.

8 regions send 2 teams to Super Sectional. One week.

4 Super Sectionals play on Monday and Tuesday. Final Four on Friday and Saturday. One week

Is there a reason I don't hear anyone suggesting to only advance the top two teams from each district?

In that case, a "super regional" could be held among four districts. Opposing districts would play two rounds to decide a traditional region champion then the region champs would play in a super-regional/substate/sectional final with the winner going to a four-team state tournament.

The first round of the super regional could be played at home sites then the region final and super-regional/substate/sectional final games could be played at larger, neutral venues.

Is there a reason I don't hear anyone suggesting to only advance the top two teams from each district?

In that case, a "super regional" could be held among four districts. Opposing districts would play two rounds to decide a traditional region champion then the region champs would play in a super-regional/substate/sectional final with the winner going to a four-team state tournament.

The first round of the super regional could be played at home sites then the region final and super-regional/substate/sectional final games could be played at larger, neutral venues.

My only thing is bring the top three from the district, make a team win the consolation to advance. That way teams don't try to play for seeding against the other district as much. Give the district champ a bye, let the 2's and 3's battle to play a district champ.

Other thing, just have a Memphis championship and the rest of the state, let the two play it out in Memphis for a state title and you will have big numbers at the Memphis City Championship and the State Championship to see them take on the rest of the state.

I also think Lipscomb might be a better location for all basketball championships games.