Richland Football

velocity

You know, I bet if the Wallace kid would have stayed, you guys would probably be getting ready for the Class 1A state championship????????? He could have worn number 22 and it could have been like a classic movie, only 22 years later. If he would have played up there, it wouldn't have mattered who the coach is/was. Would it?

Whadda you think?

You know what? I honestly believe that if Peyton Manning played for Richland they wouldn't have a winning season. I think the Wallace kid is a great player, but when you have a coach who can't call a decent offensive play, then you can't win. Taylor doesn't know what to call--has no clue. Unless Wallace decided to "buck" the called play, he couldn't win under Richland's coach. It really DOES matter who the coach is unfortunately. we see it all the time with the college and pro ball. Teams with all kinds of money recruit the big money players, but still can't win because there is no organization or lack of coaching, or no team unitiy. Point: someone mentioned at the beginning of this blog that Richland has won in the weight room over the past few yrs. Yeah, that is something coach can do-have the boys get bigger and stronger.-that doesn't require football knowledge. they still can't win because he doesn't know how to coach on Fri. night.

It is such a sad situation over there. Is there something we don't know about--some kind of secret contract that keeps the man there? He should have been fired so long ago.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know much about Richland and don't have a dog in this race, but it seems to me that getting on here and bashing your coach is not helping anybody. Just my opinion.

I can understand why you wouldn't know much about Richland. They are never in the news cause they are terrible. I believe the message boards are designed to let people talk about teams, including coaches, and that is what we are doing. It is so sad that the same coach has been there for so long, with really good players, but losing seasons. He has very little knowledge of the game and it is a mystery as to why Giles Co. continues to keep this man. Just an opinion-no bashing.

Is it baskeball? Just wondering, because according to the basketball coach, that's all that counts in Perry County. /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" /> Thought Giles Co. might be the same way.

Its the other schools team in giles co they have two schools in giles co

Its the other schools team in giles co they have two schools in giles co

You know, it shouldn't matter what sport it is. All sports should count as number one because to a kid their sport is important to them. It seems that Giles Co. would want all of their teams to succeed whether they be at Richland or at GCHS.

I just think there is "something" that we dont know about why the board continues to keep the head football coach at Richland. Honestly people-how many coaches do you know who have been around for 10 yrs. or more with a losing record overall? I think that for 2 consecutive yrs. ( back around 1999 or so) they only won 2 games overall and the third season in that row was about as bad. What is the deal with that? I have heard that new coaches have come and gone and left because of him and said that they would never come back as long as he was there. People are afraid to speak up and the poor kids suffer. I feel sorry for them!

You know, it shouldn't matter what sport it is. All sports should count as number one because to a kid their sport is important to them. It seems that Giles Co. would want all of their teams to succeed whether they be at Richland or at GCHS.

I just think there is "something" that we dont know about why the board continues to keep the head football coach at Richland. Honestly people-how many coaches do you know who have been around for 10 yrs. or more with a losing record overall? I think that for 2 consecutive yrs. ( back around 1999 or so) they only won 2 games overall and the third season in that row was about as bad. What is the deal with that? I have heard that new coaches have come and gone and left because of him and said that they would never come back as long as he was there. People are afraid to speak up and the poor kids suffer. I feel sorry for them!

you are right there needs to be a change and i dont know why it has not happen a long time ago anywhere else something would have changed

So, does anyone have an idea about what should be done to get a new coach out there? Seems so many people are unhappy but for some reason are afraid to go public with it. I have- but one person can't get it done. Anybody out there have some "pull" with the 'blind" people who are in charge?

• 4 weeks later...

I have been away for awhile but see there is nothing new about Richland on here. I guess you posters are correct in that no one cares about Richland. It sure is a shame. I wish more for the players and students and parents there-maybe one day someone will come in and take charge. /sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

• 1 month later...

It is a well known fact that most people in Giles County look down upon Richland. They always have. I remember back in the ole' days when Richland was winning everything; Football and Basketball. Giles Countians used to laugh and say they played and practiced in a corn field. The largest problem is that Richland doesn't have a town like Giles County does with Pulaski. For the most part, most of the commissioners and school board are representing Giles County. So, no, they don't care. I remember back in the late 80's and early 90's when you couldn't get a seat at Richland Football and Basketball games. Until 1991, Richland only had one season in which they didn't have a winning season. That was their first. I remember watching the 82 Walking Horse Bowl and thinking they've come a long way in a short amount of time........

The problem is political. Just think back when they got rid of Smith the first time at G.C. Of course, when you fight parents of athletes out side of the school, that doesn't help.

Richland doesn't have the top caliber athletes. For years G.C. players would transfer to Richland, start and lead them to winning seasons. For local kids who come through who are originally zoned to Richland, if they go on and coach, they are usually busts. Look at the Hannah boy.

Iron man is close but not quit rite, there has been some players since the "heyday" alround 1991 is when the "heyday" ended and since then there has been some talent but poor coaching and poor coaching choices have hurt the program. RICHLAND can win but it will take some drastic changes. Not all the richland products are coaching bust some just move next door and start coaching there.

Iron man is close but not quit rite, there has been some players since the "heyday" alround 1991 is when the "heyday" ended and since then there has been some talent but poor coaching and poor coaching choices have hurt the program. RICHLAND can win but it will take some drastic changes. Not all the richland products are coaching bust some just move next door and start coaching there.

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> you hit the nail on the head