H.L. "Peanut Cummins Resigns

I learned late last night that effective May 1, 2009, Mr. Peanut Cummins, will resign his post as State Chair of TN AAU Girls Basketball. For those of you who know Peanut he's given his life to AAU. It's a tradgedy to see his time end like this. Ultimately, based on his statement, this was his decision. His main explanation was AAU, nationally, has become a dictatorship and the vision of this dictator is unlike the principles and rules established by AAU. We wish Mary Ann and Peanut all the best.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very sad day in Tennessee Girls Basketball for sure. Did anyone else get what I got out of the resignation letter that Peanut sent? I got that someone (apparently one of the big, "shoe in" teams) has bent the rules fo themselves and the National AAU has approved of this and let this happen. Possibly let a team that won a Super Regional Tournament get by without having to compete in a District qualifying tournament? Does anyone else get this vibe, and anyone know exactly who this was pointed at?

Regardless, TN AAU has lost the only person that fights for the small (one or two teams) organizations, and that is very sad. Looks like the rich may get richer and the strong, stronger in Tennessee Girl's Basketball AAU....

Good luck to Peanut and his family from this point on..you will be missed.

They are allowing people "teams" to go to nationals without having to play in the State tournament or sub-states, if offered for that age group. AAU is supposed to be about kids getting better and learning,Not winning the National Championship. It has moved away from that ,starting several years ago. In the course of playing and learning,if you become a great team and win your state and Nationals then so be it, Thats great. It's also become about making money. Why do you think we have so many 9u to jr's clubs? It isnt about loving b-ball, its about team fee's, working tournaments for free and the people running the things sticking Cash in there front pocket. That doesnt apply to all, but the ones that it Does apply to know who they are.

Allot of teams start the year with the sole purpose of trying to be National Champions. Due to ego's of organizations, parents and some coaches. AAU has lost its focus and it probably wont ever be the same again. A small group of teams and the board are responsible for this. We can all guess who they are without mentioning names.

Thank you for your years of service Peanut, you will be sadly missed. The basketball Mafia has taken over AAU and I for one dont blame you in not wanting to be associated with it any longer. It has become a joke.

Tennessee has the best girls program in the nation due to Peanut and Mary Ann Cummins and Bill and Ann Tipps. AAU loses an advocate for the girl players when Peanut leaves. No one in organized sports has been more fair and more responsive to all players and coaches than Peanut. We will miss his leadership, wisdom and honesty. Truly a sad day for girls basketball...

It's a sad time for AAU in Tennessee. Peanut was a friend and mentor. He was always available to answer questions and an advocate for doing things the "right way". It was never about the clubs or the coaches, it was always about the girls. He led from the heart.

Those are shoes that can't be filled. He put in a life time of effort into AAU and went the extra mile. With the amount of "equity" Peanut has earned, it's a shame AAU wouldn't allow him to enforce rules there to protect the integrity of the organization.

A club wanted to take their 13U team to a showcase rather than play in there substate. The only college coach looking at 13U just lost his job at Kentucky! Peanut was doing the parents of the team a favor and absolutely saving them money as well.

Hopefully, AAU will see the error of it's ways and take the swoosh........oops I mean the blinders off and try to get a man of integrity back where he belongs, helping girls basketball.

Since this brings up the shoe vs AAU issue I have a question there is a board member maybe 2 who doesnt even play his shoe teams in AAU. Why sit on the board of AAU and not support it with your teams? Seems like a power grab or conflict of interest to me.

There is no reason they couldn't co-exist, as long as they could agree on what came first, the chicken

or the egg? AAU has set the foundation and the shoe group has proven it doesn't need AAU .Why does AAU,

at least indirectly act as if it needs the shoe group? $$$$$$$$$!

Since this brings up the shoe vs AAU issue I have a question there is a board member maybe 2 who doesnt even play his shoe teams in AAU. Why sit on the board of AAU and not support it with your teams? Seems like a power grab or conflict of interest to me.

$$$$$$$$..........AAU keps them a job working and paying the bills. Shoe Companies pad their pockets. As long as they can promote AAU just enough to keep them eating, that's all they care about. AAU doesnt mean what it used too. Not room for both, either one or the other.

Sounds like a raw deal for only one group of people and that is the people that are a part of small teams and clubs. Sounds like the big dogs won again in this case. I agree with the person earlier that maybe AAU will see what a mistake they are making and get Peanut to come back or not leave. Tragedy that a few people can ruin a really great thing for alot of girls in this state. Sad day!

I have worked with Peanut for almost 10 years now. As a fledgling basketball club mom, member of AAU, Coach's wife and and as their current web designer. My step daughter played AAU from age 9 until 17. Peanut made time for people when they needed help. He fought for the small clubs who could easily get overshadowed by the powerhouse teams. He gave his heart to an organization that should be thankful for his contributions. The commitment he and his wife have shown is unsurpassed and a rare thing in this day and time. He found joy in watching all of our Tennessee girls succeed.

I have the utmost respect for Peanut.

It is a shame that it has come to this.

These will be very big shoes to fill.