Move Evidence that TSSAA needs to change schedule

LeatherBalls

Well, after yesterday, today, and tomorrow we will have had 14 games rained out. We have only play 7 games. Again, evidence that the baseball season needs to be backed up two weeks. I also had a principal tell me that he agreed with backing the start dates two weeks. He gave me the academic side. He said that games playing at the beginning of the last grading period makes it hard on the school part. He said that the first two weeks of the grading period are the most important, especially in the last grading period. We all know that the last three weeks are getting people passed and graduated. If kids were just going to practice in the first two weeks, the students, according to this principal could get a great jump on the grading period. Plus, how about this weather? I know rain can hit but March is a rainy month no matter the year.

TSSAA says they want to be finished before graduation

Again, but for years I've watched USJ graduate players at home plate and when we played in the state in '06 we had already graduated. If spring fling was held after graduation was held then I believe the revenue would GO UP b/c kids wouldn't have to worry about finals, tests, graduation, homework, not missing school so they can get exempt from finals, plus many other things. I couldn't attend tournament last year b/c we were in school and I had finals plus student files to work on. It doesn't bother the Bluegrass State...................

It would only involve about 25% of all the schools involved b/c the post season is eliminating teams quickly.

Finally, I have to give my favorite TSSAA excuse.........Basketball post season: Don't want teams out on multiple school nights so we will take 5 nights between a district semi-final game and the district final BUT Baseball, you go out and hurry up, play Region semis, Finals, and Sub State all within 5 nights(Mon.-Fri).

Want Spring Fling attendance to go up.......................A little common sense goes a long way. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry about your games getting rained out, but no one can predict the weather in tn, and moving the schudules back 2 weeks isn't gonna make it stop raining. you have just as good a chance of getting those games in right now as you will in mid april and may. so saying that the rain will be gone if we wait two weeks more just isn't a good reason to push everything back. maybe u should invest in a tarp. they work wonders. we're playing tonight, and two games tomorrow after all that rain.

sorry about your games getting rained out, but no one can predict the weather in tn, and moving the schudules back 2 weeks isn't gonna make it stop raining. you have just as good a chance of getting those games in right now as you will in mid april and may. so saying that the rain will be gone if we wait two weeks more just isn't a good reason to push everything back. maybe u should invest in a tarp. they work wonders. we're playing tonight, and two games tomorrow after all that rain.

Never said it would stop the rain but the chances are better in April plus the average day temps in April are warmer. FYI we have a tarp and it was down yesterday but three inches in a few hours is too much. The weather stinks and you know it. Practice should be in March not secondweek in February. More people would come out if it wasn't rainy and 42 degrees. Are you telling me you think the current schedule is good? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

The original argument started with basketball going way too long with the new post season scheduling and that schools who have numerous kids playing basketball and baseball get no chance at getting their kids ready to play. Basketball players' arms hurt. Our basketball team lost in first round of region and seven baseball players got only three practices in. Not fair to them especially those freshmen.

NO BRO - Teams who can hit better, pitch better, defend better seperate themselves from other teams. There is no "Cold Weather Champion" or "Warm Weather Champion" I'll let your team be the cold weather champs. I want to be playing well in the end.....................which is warmer.

This is an unusual spring for everybody in terms of rain outs and if the long range forecasts are right it won't get much better for a couple weeks. However, this is unique. Let's not knee-jerk based on one year. Yes there are always some pretty darn cold games early in the season.

I'm just afraid if we dive in we'll get a result we hadn't aniticipated that will further harm the sport. I certainly don't want a shorter season of a lower cap on the number of games.

I have several friends that are high school coaches in Kentucky and they love the schedule they have. Their season is just getting underway right now. KY starts everything about two to three weeks after we do here in TN. Practice starts in the first week of March and the season starts around the last week of March or first week of April. The post season starts the third week of May and the state tourney starts around the second week of June. All of the post season starts after a majority of the schools have graduation. This schedule allows all the students to travel to follow their team without the worries of finals, graduation, etc. The players can actually walk the line with all their buddies on graduation night. No more home plate graduations. Plus more students will travel, more parents will travel, which means biggger gates and more money going to the state organization (KHSAA or T$$AA). It's a wonder why the T$$AA has not figured it out yet. The weather is much better, decreasing the chances for arm injuries for pitchers, the basketball players would get a couple of weeks of practice rather than a couple of days of practice and jumping into a game knowing that they are not ready yet.

The only thing that this schedule hurts is the summer teams and travel teams. Their seasons would be shorter but they can get enough games in before football starts.

Post season Basketball schedule is a joke...go back to district one week and region the next week, all in one gym and make some cash...play your finals on Friday and Saturday..not in the middle of the week...somebody has got to wake up. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />