overton

shadow

Sorry guy, but I have been in and around Metro athletics for a LONG time (not as long as shadow, though). I have seen and experienced a lot. I hope Mr. Reed does well. But he needs to take care of the classroom situation first. If you don't think race has been involved in Metro hires for awhile, then you are very blind. You are still a relative newcomer to the system, but I still like you. I had heard that you applied for the job yourself. Good luck this season.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The word on the street is that the guy has not passed his NTE after a couple of years of teaching and coaching. Does this make him a bad coach or selection for the job? Of course not. But I'm sure that Metro will make sure that he passes the NTE. Oh, by the way, I heard that Charles Hathaway's tutor is available if he needs any further remediation.

Coach F, I feel for you, be thankful you have a head coaching job, I'm sure that if you would have failed yours a couple of times your butt would have been outta there quicker than you can say Scott Brunette!

THIS IS SO METRO !

I've been out to dinner with my wife so I just got to see your responses. I really needed the laugh that some of your comments gave me.

To start with I think Coach Reed did just what he was supposed to do, apply. From all indications he interviewed well. If he hadn't gotten the job, I don't think anyone would have noticed (Reed Included)!

I have a good job. I wasn't trying to run away from anything or abandon ship. To me Overton was the best job in Nashville. I even asked Coach Fuller about it two years ago. Of course he didn't tell me he would only be there two more years. The timing wasn't great for me but I wasn't going to pass it up. Whether you like me or not you can't argue the fact that I work hard, know the game and support my kids. I have paid my dues! I have applied for other jobs in the system mainly for the experience interviewing. I was ready for this job.

Reed and Sewell combined did not have the experience as assistant coaches that I have as a head coach. I'm just curious when experience no longer becomes a factor.

I won't say where, but I heard Reed "could not get the job because he had not passed the test and no Principal could take that chance".

I have heard that Dr. Dillard spent a lot of time dealing with Human Resources on this teaching position. I'm sure it was with Dr. Williams the same person that hired Sewell at Hunters Lane. Interesting. By placing the final decision with the principal Metro has opened up a can of worms with the buddy system.

Somewhere these Principals think they have to check the black white ratio with coaches. It's a good thing the same mentality wasn't used at UCLA when hiring John Wooden.

It hasn't just happened to me or white coaches. The same thing happened to Mike Trabue at McGavock. Milton Harris was in position for basketball so they went out and got Charles Bozeman (a white coach).

There were no black coaches at Overton.

Anyone that says I was treated fairly is either a liar or just plain stupid!

;);):x:x:x

I'm sure you are right about the control issue shadow but that's not the entire picture. I know what you are saying about Coach Fuller and I thought about that. The thing is that with all of Principal moves you never know who will be in charge. I don't think Dillard will be there long. I could have toughed it out. Maybe I am lucky, but right now I feel like I've been raped! :D

Metroman, talking to you the other day you seem like a pretty good guy. I think a lot of the time you have to watch what you say on here. If you can answer this please do. I just got a call from another coach in Metro that wanted to know why I wasn't digging into Romey's lack of certification. My question is this. How could Dr. Dillard possibly hire someone to coach that might not have a teaching job next year? :confused:

I was told I was a finalist by the Metro Athletic Director. I also checked on things from the get go. I have a very good idea about all of the people that interviewed. I believe that I was the best qualified for the position. The only grey area to me was Doc Shelton. I don't know for sure but he was rumored to have applied for the job, been offered and turned it down. He would have been hands down the only coach in metro that might have applied for the job, that should have gotten it. I don't know if he really did because I didn't hear about him interviewing the same day.

I'm pretty realistic. I usually have a good about coaches and their abilities. :D

To tell you the truth, I have no idea about Coach Reed's certification. I have spoken to all of the principals about the hiring process, but nothing specific to anyone but me (what I need to work on, what I should do before the next time I interview I have, what kind of things they felt were my strengths and weaknesses). At no point did I press any of them to find out about any other candidates. I think sometimes a choice like this comes down to a gut feeling, and their guts told them to go with Coach Reed.

Let me also say this, I think Coach Reed is an excellent fit for our school. I am not saying that Coach Fey, or any of the other candidates wouldn't have done a good job. I just know that there has already been a change in the program for the better. I anticipate Overton to have a pretty good year.