Another Coach Gone

raynoch

Well my boy stix has been at AE and Knoxville College. He might be the right fit for the job.

That's Coach Duncan's decision to make now isn't it? How about this for a rumor, I heard that Rodney Nelson is interested in the job. South Knoxville guy, great record at Maryville, outstanding teacher of the game. However his name is also linked to Webb, CAK and Grace Christian.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"He took a Senior laden team at GP last year and led them to a 4th place finish in the regular season. They had more talent from players 1-7 than anyone inthe district. They did finish 2nd in the tournament, but laid an egg in the regionals at home. Not taking anything away from him, but you may be giving him to much credit. He hasn't really won that much so far. Next year will be a real test for him."

In response to that comment, you are giving too much credit to it being a senior leaden team. The young man took on a program who had been in the dumps. Gatlinburg Pittman had not been to the regional playoffs in awhile from what I understand and they have gone in back to back seasons. District 2AA was pretty competitive this year with Union,Grainger,and Claiborne. I agree that next year will be a definite test but don't agree with the fact that he had the best talent 1-7 in the district.Had two good post players and an adequate wing. Most of those seniors were average at best. He beat us on the biggest stage!! We beat them twice in regular season by a couple of points but they managed to beat us on our home floor to go to the District Championship? When was the last time they did that?

You know what a couple months ago South Doyle was looking for a head football coach and I posted on their thread about who I thought would get the job, I was just joking around when I said Duncan would take the job however, lord and behold he it took. So I'm going to go out on the limb with this is and say, Coach Jersey (SD Middle School Coach) will be in the running to get the head coaching job at the high school. What do you all think? Will I be 2 for 2 or did I just make a fool out of myself with that? /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

In all honesty, I think Coach Stixx will land him a middle school job in Knox County next year.. I think most high School AD's want you to have coaching experience in the school system before giving you a high school program to to turn around.. That's just my opinion.. I mean, Stixx may get the job and if he does I know he'll do an excellent job however, I think Middle School is where he may end up at..

You know what a couple months ago South Doyle was looking for a coach and I posted on their thread about who I thought would get the job, I was just joking around with when I said Duncan would take the job and lord and behold he took. So I'm going to go on the limb with this is say, Coach Jersey (SD Middle School Coach) will be in the run to get the head coaching job at the high school. What do you all think? Will I make it 2 for 2 or i just made a fool of myself with that? /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

In all honesty, I think Coach Stixx will land him a middle school job in Knox County next year.. I think most high School AD's want you to have coaching experience in the school system before giving you a program to try to turn around.. That's just my opinion.. I mean, Stixx may get the job and if he does I know he'll do an excellent job however, I think Middle School is where he may end up at..

Is Stixx a teacher in Knox County? The reason I ask is this; with all of the number crunching, in regard to money, Knox County is going to hire someone teaching in the system. Someone replied he's certified in Biology so I'm assuming he's teaching at West or some other Knox Co. school. If he's not, he's going to have a tough time getting the position. I think the guy (not sure what his name is) that coached S-D jv team may get the job. He's already a teacher at the school and he was helping Coach Barnes. Gary had the program going in the right direction so why not give the kids some continuity. In the past most jv coaches have been promoted, Jason Webster replaced Stan Jones at Halls, Lee Henson replaced Brian Hartsell at Karns, Sara Brengle replaced Amy Carlyle at Karns, Eric Brabson replaced John Anderson at A-E, Wes Edmonds replaced Mike Driver at Farragut, JD Lambert replaced Chad Turner at Halls (I remember when Chad was JD's assistant at Central) even at West Chris Kessler moved over from the girls team and a teacher in the building took over the girls, anyone notice a theme?

Yes stix is a teacher at Austin East High School. He teachers biology there and South Doyle has 2 openings in the science field there, but you do make a good point about assistants being moved up to head coaches. I wished some of Coach Marie's old players could say something about on here to let people really know how much he knows the game and is passionate about his players. By the way i have seen him get a kid into college who never played high school basketball. He left the college coaching world because of 2 things. One is that he has been our youth pastor for over a year now and the money is not that great in college. But i know there are qualified people out there that have a great background, but i still say that STIX is the man for the job! This is just my thought!

Yes stix is a teacher at Austin East High School. He teachers biology there and South Doyle has 2 openings in the science field there, but you do make a good point about assistants being moved up to head coaches. I wished some of Coach Marie's old players could say something about on here to let people really know how much he knows the game and is passionate about his players. By the way i have seen him get a kid into college who never played high school basketball. He left the college coaching world because of 2 things. One is that he has been our youth pastor for over a year now and the money is not that great in college. But i know there are qualified people out there that have a great background, but i still say that STIX is the man for the job! This is just my thought!

I'm not doubting his ability as a coach. I've gone head to head with him in AAU his teams were very athletic and huge. I did not know he was a teacher. Since he's in the system he has a great shot at the job as well as any other coach. A lot depends on what South-Doyle is looking for and how long he can and will stay. As long as I've been in Knoxville South-Doyle and West have been considered sleeping giants in athletics.