Coaching change at Temple?

silverdalefan

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/ap...g-south/?sports

The coach can't seem to help himself, even in an article about Sexton signing he puts in a recruiting pitch for players to transfer to Temple:

???Jeremy??™s one of the many kids to go on from here,??? Marcum said. ???It says that kids want to come here and want to win. Jeremy said one of the reasons he came here was to win a state championship and he did. It??™s a testament to the school, our academics, our administration and the people who paved the way.???

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/ap...g-south/?sports

The coach can't seem to help himself, even in an article about Sexton signing he puts in a recruiting pitch for players to transfer to Temple:

???Jeremy??™s one of the many kids to go on from here,??? Marcum said. ???It says that kids want to come here and want to win. Jeremy said one of the reasons he came here was to win a state championship and he did. It??™s a testament to the school, our academics, our administration and the people who paved the way.???

You must think there's something wrong with that statement.

Nothing wrong if it was a statement by itself, but including it in Sexton's signing article is in poor taste. You don't think he's spelling out to everyone, "Come to Temple, we'll win big and you're likely to sign a scholarship?"

He probably could have praised Sexton a little more, and made it less of a commercial for Temple, but that's just my opinion.

You can interpret his statement any way you want to, and even if you interpret it the way you did, there's nothing wrong with that. Private schools, unlike publics, aren't going to get kids enrolled by virtue of where they live. They've got to promote the school and make it sound like a better option than others, and worth the several thousand $ it takes to got there.

He probably could have praised Sexton a little more, and made it less of a commercial for Temple, but that's just my opinion.

You can interpret his statement any way you want to, and even if you interpret it the way you did, there's nothing wrong with that. Private schools, unlike publics, aren't going to get kids enrolled by virtue of where they live. They've got to promote the school and make it sound like a better option than others, and worth the several thousand $ it takes to got there.

which in an article about one of their star players signing a basketball scholarship is bordering on recruiting

Well said Indian! I was wondering if I was the only one who noticed that tid bit of info in the article that was nothing more than a plug for Temple.... I don't remember such a big article when the kid from Grace committed/signed with the same school earlier in the year? And I guarantee it had nothing promoting "why everyone should want to come here"! It seems that a lot of posts lately point fingers at Temple doing things that could be considered not above board. I can only imagine that the previous years infractions (something that will take a long time, if ever, to go away) at Temple have made people lose respect for anything that is associated with them? I know in a previous post I made (baseball), somebody said you "gain respect by winning".. that is true, but you gain respect by winning AND doing it the RIGHT way! South Pitt has respect in football, correct? They win, garner respect, get articles in the paper about their players, but I never see somebody bashing them about doing it the wrong way....Other than the 'true' privates (McCallie, Baylor) around here, the other privates just take what does come through their door and deal with it, good or bad, or at least that's been my experience for the last 7 years at DB.

DB02, Your quote "Other than the 'true' privates (McCallie, Baylor) around here, the other privates just take what does come through their door and deal with it, good or bad, or at least that's been my experience for the last 7 years at DB." is untrue. All the private schools, DB included, actively pursue new students through advertising. If they didn't they wouldn't succeed.

The same logic that asks "what is wrong with a couple of kids enrolled at other school practicing and and being instructed by our coaches at Temple Academys spring football practices"!!!

What a non-answer that was.

The answer to the question, "What is wrong with "bordering on recruiting" is, nothing. If you are doing 55 mph in a 55 mph zone, you're bordering on speeding, but you're not doing anything illegal.

That said, Coach Marcum's statements in the paper weren't "bordering on recruiting." Recruiting is the process of trying to convince specific athletes to come to your school. Had Marcum said, "Temple produces D1 players, that's why you, John Doe, need to come here", you might have a argument.

DB is talking about Temple luring athletes, that's a lot different than advertising to get the overall enrollment up. If things are so bad they have to push their athletic reputation above their academics maybe they need to reevaluate having the school at all.

Do you think Sexton would have signed Division I had he not transferred in, wasn't he at Ooltewah previously? The coach isn't talking to specific athletes and their families at least in the article but stunts like this would leave me unsurprised if Temple gets nailed again. The TFP could have also cut that paragraph out and let the Sexton signing speak for itself. As for other schools, Grace has benefited from some transfers, I think one from this year Chattanooga Central and Shaughnessy I want to say was playing non-TSSAA, but I've never seen a coach come out with comments approaching these, plus the "dynasty will continue" comments.

Do you have any idea on specific new players yet who will keep the dynasty going?