Coaching change at Temple?

silverdalefan

DB is talking about Temple luring athletes, that's a lot different than advertising to get the overall enrollment up. If things are so bad they have to push their athletic reputation above their academics maybe they need to reevaluate having the school at all.

Do you think Sexton would have signed Division I had he not transferred in, wasn't he at Ooltewah previously? The coach isn't talking to specific athletes and their families at least in the article but stunts like this would leave me unsurprised if Temple gets nailed again. The TFP could have also cut that paragraph out and let the Sexton signing speak for itself. As for other schools, Grace has benefited from some transfers, I think one from this year Chattanooga Central and Shaughnessy I want to say was playing non-TSSAA, but I've never seen a coach come out with comments approaching these, plus the "dynasty will continue" comments.

Do you have any idea on specific new players yet who will keep the dynasty going?

Indian, For someone so articulate you really say some dumb stuff. My feeling is you know better, you're just trying to force your point. Who says Temple's trying to push athletics above academics? Do you really expect to see academic achievements discussed in the sports pages?

You'll have to wait and see on the new players.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/ap...g-south/?sports

The coach can't seem to help himself, even in an article about Sexton signing he puts in a recruiting pitch for players to transfer to Temple:

???Jeremy??™s one of the many kids to go on from here,??? Marcum said. ???It says that kids want to come here and want to win. Jeremy said one of the reasons he came here was to win a state championship and he did. It??™s a testament to the school, our academics, our administration and the people who paved the way.???

You know, I bet the Marcum also sends subliminal messages over the radion waves, might be worth looking into... /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> There are mountains and there are mole hills, you seem to be getting them confused.

You know, I bet the Marcum also sends subliminal messages over the radion waves, might be worth looking into... /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> There are mountains and there are mole hills, you seem to be getting them confused.

When a school has been found guilty and is continually suspected of cheating by schools in their community and around the state, everything they do is a mountain.

Indian, For someone so articulate you really say some dumb stuff. My feeling is you know better, you're just trying to force your point. Who says Temple's trying to push athletics above academics? Do you really expect to see academic achievements discussed in the sports pages?

You'll have to wait and see on the new players.

The school president wrote something similar about getting in athletes, in a letter to the editor. Do you plan on having these athletes (plural) eligible right away? If they're enrolled, there shouldn't be such secrecy about it. If they're not enrolled, they're not supposed to be discussing basketball with anyone respresenting Temple anyway. The TSSAA clarified that after some problems with one of the Murfreesboro schools in girls' basketball.

When a school has been found guilty and is continually suspected of cheating by schools in their community and around the state, everything they do is a mountain.

Man you are so right, man I look foolish... with such issues you would think that the school should replace the coach or the administration or something. Ooh, wait they aready did.

The school president wrote something similar about getting in athletes, in a letter to the editor. Do you plan on having these athletes (plural) eligible right away? If they're enrolled, there shouldn't be such secrecy about it. If they're not enrolled, they're not supposed to be discussing basketball with anyone respresenting Temple anyway. The TSSAA clarified that after some problems with one of the Murfreesboro schools in girls' basketball.

I have no idea who's going to play on the b-ball team next year. When I said a bunch of newcomers would be on the team next year, I did so expecting a bunch of you to get your panties in a wad, thoughtlessly accusing Temple of recruiting. You didn't let me down. Fact is, every b-ball team on the planet has newcomers each year.

Only in the eyes of the beholder. And some beholders just don't matter.

I have no idea who's going to play on the b-ball team next year. When I said a bunch of newcomers would be on the team next year, I did so expecting a bunch of you to get your panties in a wad, thoughtlessly accusing Temple of recruiting. You didn't let me down. Fact is, every b-ball team on the planet has newcomers each year.

So basically you were just blowing smoke and have no clue. Unless you're talking about entering freshmen, no, not every team on the planet has newcomers every year. If you're including the freshmen in the discussion, few if any are good enough to help "continue the dynasty" since most sit the bench if they make the varsity at all.

Maybe you could ask Debbie Hamilton, author of this:

"Concerning athletics, every year we're written off yet the Lord sends players to help us be competitive. We believe next year will be the same."

The coach mentioned Sexton coming to Temple paved the way for him to play NCAA Division I, do you think remaining at his former school would have prevented it?

So basically you were just blowing smoke and have no clue. Unless you're talking about entering freshmen, no, not every team on the planet has newcomers every year. If you're including the freshmen in the discussion, few if any are good enough to help "continue the dynasty" since most sit the bench if they make the varsity at all.

Maybe you could ask Debbie Hamilton, author of this:

"Concerning athletics, every year we're written off yet the Lord sends players to help us be competitive. We believe next year will be the same."

The coach mentioned Sexton coming to Temple paved the way for him to play NCAA Division I, do you think remaining at his former school would have prevented it?

I'm not sure what Sexton would have learned from his Ooltewah coaches, other than bigotry. Temple teaches kids how to be respectable people, and how to play the game of basketball correctly. So, Sexton moving to Temple his freshman year was probably a very wise decision.

Ron Baker is a bigot? Please explain why you think so.

I didn't say that. Geez Indian, you're a pain. I was referring to the incident in the last couple years at OHS where the coach called some of his players the "n" word at halftime. I shouldn't have brought that up though. My apologies to everyone.

Back to your question of whether or not Sexton could have made it to a D1 through OHS. Who knows? But, I like a players chances much better if he goes to a "b-ball school" like Temple, Red Bank, or Walker Valley where he's going to get solid coaching. If your kid's a football player, where would you rather he go to school, Copper Basin or Boyd Buchanan?

You said he would have learned bigotry from the coaches, I don't know what else you could have meant. You're talking about Ron Baker in the incident. He didn't call the Ooltewah players anything. It was after the game against Red Bank, not halftime, and some of Red Bank's players were acting in a manner Baker didn't appreciate. He made the very dumb comment to his team how he never wanted to see them "act like a bunch of n...." (not an exact quote but close), like the Red Bank players had been doing in the game in his opinion. I've been told he meant he didn't want his players ever acting in a manner that would validate some peoples' low expectations but he chose a very poor way of getting that across. He could have said a bunch of idiots or nearly any other negative, just not that one or any other related term. I really do not think that one incident makes him a bigot.

Scholarships signees come from all levels. Copper Basin, your example, is struggling right now but a really strong pair of linemen a few years ago. One signed with UTC, played four years and the other played and did well at a Tusculum type school., if not Tusculum. I am pretty sure every 1A team in the area except S Mountain has had at least one sign in football this decade, though not all of them lasted. Ooltewah had a pretty good basketball team this past season, who knows, with Sexton maybe they could have gotten past Walker Valley and made it to the state tournament. I don't think he'd have gotten any fewer looks or that the instruction would have been noticeably different at Ooltewah.

I'm not sure what Sexton would have learned from his Ooltewah coaches, other than bigotry. Temple teaches kids how to be respectable people, and how to play the game of basketball correctly. So, Sexton moving to Temple his freshman year was probably a very wise decision.

Has anyone ever sat behind the Temple bench at a basketball game? If you had, you would find it hard to see any difference between what the coaches say and how they act than many other schools that dont claim to STAND for anything. That goes for all of the coaches Sexton had at Temple, and certainly his most recent coach.