Dyer County's Head Coach Resigns

N2Choctaws

Saint Knuts, Your memory is not very good. And what are U implying, here. Coach Hopkins won with DC players. Larue took over after Hopkins had already built the girls team. He got the Crockett County job, because he married the superintendent's daughter at Crockett County. He left Dyer Co. because, the talent was falling off at DC. It just so happened the talent was better at Crockett Co. He is not a very good coach, in my opinion, he's just too passive for me. DC girls needs a coach that will light a fire in their rear end, and I don't think Larue is that coach. I heard from a source that he may get the job at DC. I just don't think he would be the best choice.

As far as Coach Hopkins goes he had the 33-1 girls as freshman which his asst. coach them, then Coach Coffman had them as shophmores, then Coach LaRue had them as juniors and seniors. He asked the Administrion for the same thing that Coach McCord has now with control over the middle school program and they told him no. So now he is at Westview building teams for the High School that keeps kicking our tails regulary.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saint Knuts, Your memory is not very good. And what are U implying, here. Coach Hopkins won with DC players. Larue took over after Hopkins had already built the girls team. He got the Crockett County job, because he married the superintendent's daughter at Crockett County. He left Dyer Co. because, the talent was falling off at DC. It just so happened the talent was better at Crockett Co. He is not a very good coach, in my opinion, he's just too passive for me. DC girls needs a coach that will light a fire in their rear end, and I don't think Larue is that coach. I heard from a source that he may get the job at DC. I just don't think he would be the best choice.

what i am implying is that the guy that you want to get the job does not win with dc kids. what are you implying? that larue had to marry someone to get a job? as far as the talent being better at crockett if i remember correctly the team that larue took to the state tournament had two freshman starters on it that larue coached in middle school the year before after crockett gave him control of the middle school program like he wanted at dc. excuse me if i don't trust your opinion about larue's coaching ability, but aren't you the same guy that said casey prather was freed or bethel material? for a guy that can't coach it just seems to me that winning follows him around wherever he goes. why don't you just come out and say why you don't like larue instead of saying he can't coach?

late to the party here but here is what I have heard (DC fans probably not interested in my point-of-view but let's just say I know someone who is "in" on what's going on - in other words someone who has the ear of one of the decision-makers). Really don??™t care if you believe me or not I hope y??™all make a dumb hire, but my source is extremely legit. Also it is a bunch of he said/she said but again I don??™t care if you believe me or not, I??™ll eat crow on here if it doesn??™t happen like I say.

Oh, and why am I interested? I have some relatives who play (and played) in the Lady Trojan program and I kinda like how the Lady Choctaws get neglected by the admin and fans so we are the best local program. Ask yourself this, if this was the boys job, this thread would be a mile long but this one is 2 pages in 2 weeks. Fans/Admin just not as interested here. You can get mad at me for saying that but it is what it is from a rival's view.

First let me "fix" the errors from the above posters in the above posts (no offense guys but you are posting rumors that I know to be false so just clearing em up):

1) The rumor that Angie was "forced" to resign is not true. Nobody asked her anything (maybe they were going to who knows but no one had approached her and gave her an ultimatum). She had had enough. Rumors of immense pressure she was receiving were true. Rumors of a petition going around are true. Sad that a superintendent asks for a petition to be brought before him and not handle it himself but does that surprise anyone?

2) The job is McCord's if he wants it obviously. He has been offered. Rumors that he wants it but Hedge is thinking about it are not true. Now it was insinuated in a post above that he was contacted BEFORE Stafford resigned and I can not verify that one way or the other (my source didn't give that info LOL)

3) The post about DC girls not ever being any good is just a complete fabrication (sorry dude no offense you just may be too young to remember):

-> Henry Farrar had good teams in the 80??™s converting the girls from 6on6 to 5on5

-> Karen Griffin had some really good teams. DC girls sustained above average play for a long time under Griffin . Had a kid sign with Memphis (name?) They won a bunch of games and always placed well in district for several years in a row.

-> Butch Hopkins had good teams also, they always seemed to get beat too early in tournament time but they usually won 15-19 games. Built through fundamentals. He never scheduled us so didn't see his girls coaching "in action" to comment

-> Randy Coffman had a good season and went to Region Semis before he came to the Promised Land. Needless to say I was happy again that DC Admin didn't keep him. He gave DC Admin some ideas on how to change for the better and was rebuffed. That showed him that DC girls could not be a factor long-term without the backing of the Admin. He probably would still be there to this day if he??™d have gotten the right answers. Thankfully for the Lady Trojans he did not.

- > Lyle Larue built on Hopkins and Coffman and went to next level. Hopkins and Coffman did a great job building a foundation, but if you don??™t think there was a very obvious uptick, then you just don??™t know basketball. I was glad when Laru left too as DC whipped us every time in those 3 years, we haven??™t been beat but once or twice since. Sources say he left for same reasons Coffman did and as an assistant under Coffman he had a ringside seat for the Admin's antics so I??™m guessing that??™s right.

- > Angie Stafford had some good teams also. District 13AA is just that tough.

in other words, you've had good teams and good coaches throughout your history

4) One of the above poster's said the undefeated team lost in Memphis but I though Lexington beat em (can??™t remember ??“ getting old ??“ did they play at Lexington or DC)?

Breakdown of candidates and quenching rumors (note: these are the only names I have heard):

McCord: It is McCord's and McCord's decision alone. The TSSAA bulletin board job opening post was the clear giveaway here. The immediate firings of the middle school coaches was the other giveaway. And the last giveaway is that as far as my sources know, no other candidate has been contacted officially. The holdup may be whether he is deciding to do it or not or maybe they just want to wait. It is the easiest transition because new teaching positions aren't involved and it is a hire that the community would be behind. McCord would bring an exciting style and the fans may show up in the gym at 6:30 again instead of 8:00. I hope McCord decides to just remain with the boys because I don't want to lose anymore Dyersburg kids like we did the past few years.

Larue: I hope you guys don??™t get him. DC girls have never brought any hardware home under any other coach period. He regularly beat Russell, McMillan, Coffman, Decker, etc. I laugh above at DCfan74??™s posts. Coached middle school and high school at the two other 13AA schools he was at and both went to state tourneys. See the pattern? Crockett was bad, became good real quick, now bad again. If the admin gave to DC alums what they give to outsiders (Hopkins/McCord) he??™d still be there. My source said he really didn??™t want to leave but he could not stay and compete in 13AA without a hand in the middle schools. My sources say he will only be contacted if McCord declines the job, and admin has changed their ways, but I seriously doubt he leaves Westview.

Coffman Source said he said ???Don??™t even call, you??™d be wasting your quarter.???

Pope My sources say she declined to put her name in the running. Smart move and if either of the above two get the job it will be a great career decision as her resume gets an immediate boost and when they start winning again, gets stronger.

Poindexter In the running for the South Gibson job. If he gets that I doubt he would leave immediately to comeback here because he can build a program from ground up and he lives in Jackson. Could be wrong on this one he may come back

???Package Deal??? no comment on this as my source said: .. There may be a ???Package Deal???. I have no idea what that means and they gave no clue even when prodded for more info

man i knew something was wrong with LaRue just couldn't put my finger on it but now i know - he is tainted by being a former choctaw coach /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

i didn't know all this stuff but from what i read here you had your chance and blew it so just keep your filthy injun hands off our coach

heck y'all can't even spell his name right (capital "R") and he coached there

we are rollin right now and this boat don't need rockin

state final 4 and lose ONE player giddyup!, we have unfinished business here and LaRue is too heavily invested in helping to leave now

yall need to get mccord to do it anyways so he can win a coach of the year award

You can have Larue and the horse he road in on , for my part. Larue likes to ride coat tails. He goes where the talent is, you watch when the talent falls off at Westview, he will be gone to the next team with talent. He got credit for a team he didn't build at DC. He hasn't proved nothing to me. I don't understand why the radio station at Westview talks to him, when he is only an assistant coach. He is taking the thunder away from the head coach. But it doesn't surprise me. 3pointer, DC's 33-1 team lost to Cordova at Memphis. Saint Knuts, you don't know what ur talking about. I have nothing against Larue personally, I just don't think he is a good coach I personally don't like his coaching style. He's tooooo passive. My sources tell me that McCord and his assistant Beck are going to coach both the middle school and DC ( boys & girls). I could be wrong on this, just wait and see. I had rather this happen than Larue get the job.

You can have Larue and the horse he road in on , for my part. Larue likes to ride coat tails. He goes where the talent is, you watch when the talent falls off at Westview, he will be gone to the next team with talent. He got credit for a team he didn't build at DC. He hasn't proved nothing to me. I don't understand why the radio station at Westview talks to him, when he is only an assistant coach. He is taking the thunder away from the head coach. But it doesn't surprise me. 3pointer, DC's 33-1 team lost to Cordova at Memphis. Saint Knuts, you don't know what ur talking about. I have nothing against Larue personally, I just don't think he is a good coach I personally don't like his coaching style. He's tooooo passive. My sources tell me that McCord and his assistant Beck are going to coach both the middle school and DC ( boys & girls). I could be wrong on this, just wait and see. I had rather this happen than Larue get the job.

are you serious? can you honestly tell me that the dc faithful was expecting a district championship, a regional championship and a 33-1 record with that group of girls when larue took over? i doubt it. that means the coach got the most out of the players. again at crockett he took a team that started two freshmen (who were in the 6th grade when he took the job and the two best players on that team) to the state tournament. i guess he is a good judge of talent if he can tell that 6th graders will lead him to the state tournament in three years. then he left the year after that when those freshmen had three years left to go help mcmillan at westview. so there goes your chasing talent theory. he left talent at crockett. the talent at westview will never fall off because he is the one building the talent and getting them ready for high school and that is probably why the radio station talks to him because he knows everything about the girls on the team because he has been with them since the 6th grade. you dont like his coaching style? what two seasons at dc with two trips to the region, a district championship and a region championship and none of this since he left and he probably left the best player dc has ever had in peggy mccain when he left. and by the way you are a dc fan that does not even know the history because dc lost to lexington in cordova in the 33-1 season. if you respond to this you are an idiot because you obviously don't know what you are talking about.

Can't wait for the first Coffman/McCord battle....I guarantee this, Coffman won't let McCord steal any girls from Dyersburg without a "all holds bar brawl"

For the record....DC lost to Lexington in that 33-1 year....I thought you were a Dyer Co fan???

LaRue chasing talent??? He has only been 3 places...and all 3 he has done well at, he does send the Wizard a Christmas card every year....HHHHHAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDD!!!!!

Today's Trivia:

When was the last time Dyer Co or Crockett Co (also known as the cellar dwellars of 13AA) had a successfull run and who was the coach?

As far as Coach Hopkins goes he had the 33-1 girls as freshman which his asst. coach them, then Coach Coffman had them as shophmores, then Coach LaRue had them as juniors and seniors. He asked the Administrion for the same thing that Coach McCord has now with control over the middle school program and they told him no. So now he is at Westview building teams for the High School that keeps kicking our tails regulary.

I am beginning to think some of you are getting the picture. Some of adminstration did not care what the coaches wanted until McCord came and started winning then administration, fans, etc. started paying more attention and backing him. It looks like he got the attention of the right people. So if I understand this right each coach that took over the girls asked for the same thing including Angie Stafford but all got the same answer until McCord managed to get the attention of the right person or persons. All I hear is that some of the previous coaches couldn't get it done but I think some did pretty well with what they were given. I also know from a fairly reliable source that Angie Stafford started several programs to build the program since she could not get into the middle schools so I think it is hard to judge all these coaches if they were not given the proper help and resources when they were coaching. Whether you liked the coach or not it still is not fair to judge them without all the facts. And without a doubt--talent of the girls does have alittle to do with it and how fast they can learn since they did not get all they needed in middle schools. It is like sending a kid to college and he only has had basic math. And of course, every coach you mentioned wants the job now that they are getting the middle schools and now that they have moved into a weaker district and are almost a Sure win( from everyone I talk to. ) Now that all the AAU, Junior basketball program and now middle school is all set up and ready for whoever to walk in and pick up the wins. And next year, whoever takes it will get all the praise of how they turned the program around. Well, I have nothing against McCord cause I really don't know him and I think he is a good coach from what I have seen but you can believe it or not he did not turn the program around all by himself and I believe adminstration worked with him. No man stands alone. I think the fans surely are smart enough to know one person can't do it all by themself no matter how good he may seem to be. My personal opinion is Angie Stafford fought a battle that she finally decided she could not win and with someone new coming in she knew they could get more done to help the program and that is why she resigned. I feel she added to the foundation of the program just as past coaches have. So we can beat all these coaches up but the bottom line is they all have one thing in common and that was to get the program at DC going and I think adminstration is starting to really listen. I am not beating adminstration, coaches or anyone up but I think finally people are starting to understand that you have to have a strong program. You have to start training these kids from early age if you want a winning team unless they are just athlete and have it in them.(which are very few) and that in my opinion is why DC has been good but could not reach great. We have had some athletes with built-in talent come through but we need a full team to make a difference. So, once again, that is my opinion to add to the collection.

I am beginning to think some of you are getting the picture. Some of adminstration did not care what the coaches wanted until McCord came and started winning then administration, fans, etc. started paying more attention and backing him. It looks like he got the attention of the right people. So if I understand this right each coach that took over the girls asked for the same thing including Angie Stafford but all got the same answer until McCord managed to get the attention of the right person or persons. All I hear is that some of the previous coaches couldn't get it done but I think some did pretty well with what they were given. I also know from a fairly reliable source that Angie Stafford started several programs to build the program since she could not get into the middle schools so I think it is hard to judge all these coaches if they were not given the proper help and resources when they were coaching. Whether you liked the coach or not it still is not fair to judge them without all the facts. And without a doubt--talent of the girls does have alittle to do with it and how fast they can learn since they did not get all they needed in middle schools. It is like sending a kid to college and he only has had basic math. And of course, every coach you mentioned wants the job now that they are getting the middle schools and now that they have moved into a weaker district and are almost a Sure win( from everyone I talk to. ) Now that all the AAU, Junior basketball program and now middle school is all set up and ready for whoever to walk in and pick up the wins. And next year, whoever takes it will get all the praise of how they turned the program around. Well, I have nothing against McCord cause I really don't know him and I think he is a good coach from what I have seen but you can believe it or not he did not turn the program around all by himself and I believe adminstration worked with him. No man stands alone. I think the fans surely are smart enough to know one person can't do it all by themself no matter how good he may seem to be. My personal opinion is Angie Stafford fought a battle that she finally decided she could not win and with someone new coming in she knew they could get more done to help the program and that is why she resigned. I feel she added to the foundation of the program just as past coaches have. So we can beat all these coaches up but the bottom line is they all have one thing in common and that was to get the program at DC going and I think adminstration is starting to really listen. I am not beating adminstration, coaches or anyone up but I think finally people are starting to understand that you have to have a strong program. You have to start training these kids from early age if you want a winning team unless they are just athlete and have it in them.(which are very few) and that in my opinion is why DC has been good but could not reach great. We have had some athletes with built-in talent come through but we need a full team to make a difference. So, once again, that is my opinion to add to the collection.

I would have to say the junior class is pretty talented especially without a post. At Northview they beat everything in Gibson County, beat all in obion by Hillcrest who had 2 good post players and won the middle school state championship. So to say they always have not got what was needed in middle school is not true.

I would have to say the junior class is pretty talented especially without a post. At Northview they beat everything in Gibson County, beat all in obion by Hillcrest who had 2 good post players and won the middle school state championship. So to say they always have not got what was needed in middle school is not true.

Maybe, I used the word always too freely but I know there has been several coaches come and go in some of the middle schools. I know there was a time that there was a Three Oaks coach that encouraged the good players to go to Dyersburg and not DC. I am not taking away from any kid because they all try hard but I am saying that we need continual feeding from our middle schools that are on the same page as high school so we won't just have one class that is pretty good but every class that moves up. I am also sure that some of those players on Northview that you are talking about may have played on AAU teams that Angie set up and got some additional training. I am not taking away from any coaches that tried their best at these middle schools, I am just saying that for some reason someone is listening to McCord and letting him take control over the middle schools as I also think Coffman was given in Dyersburg and as the coaches in Obion, Gibson Co. etc. were. I was saying it is about time that someone listened. I don't think they had to let the coaches go that were at the middle school to accomplish that task but they have a plan in mind I am sure. I am not trying to argue any facts, I am just stating things I have heard over the years. Yes, the junior class is pretty good and were improving and I believe without a doubt that Angie could have won next year if she would have choose to stay or whoever takes over can win in the new district .

I am not from Dyersburg but know Coach Coffman. Im very confused after reading this. Is he still at Dyersburg or where is he at now?

He's still at Dyersburg!

Whoever coaches Dyer Co this coming year will have a good season..After that..Run for the Hills !