When last did Smyrna have a winning record?

nrgrizzlies

Hicks put on a show in the district and region held at Mt.Juliet in 2001. He could and would pull up from anywhere inside 25 feet. Caldwell was a good set shooter. True, he benefitted from Swader and Warner, but he still knocked the shots down. Didn't Sage go to Tusculum for like a semester? I remember him being back around after Christmas. The 2002 team was decent, but couldn't touch the Hicks teams.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Billy Mooney is no longer the coach at Smyrna. Lonnie Drayton took over this past year. I have been following SHS sports for a long time. Mooney had some really good teams and some teams that were dreadful. Boys Basketball has been down but with the coaching change has sparked life into the program. Lonnie will do a great job at Smyrna. After doing some research these are records i have...

1998-99 12-16

1999-00 19-15 (District Tourney Champs, went to sectionals, lost to Antioch)

2000-01 22-8 (This team should have won the gold ball. District Champions, Lost in the region semis)

2001-02 14-17 (Lost to i believe Hendersonville in district championship)

2002-03 18-11 (STarted out 12 and 0, dont really know what happened)

2003-04 3-22

2004-05 6-23

2005-06 7-20

2006-07 8-20

2007-08 5-21

2008-09 9-18 (Draytons first year)

On a side note Hicks is playing ball overseas and is doing really well. I think he plays in the las vegas summer league with an nba team in hopes of making it one day. Sage did go to tusculum, but did not stay long. Warner went to UNC Ashville and played for 4 years, Swader went to a junior college then played at ETSU. He was trying get on a team overseas but im not really sure if that worked out.

As big chief stated Caldwell was a great set shooter. He did benefit from having both swader and warner but they also benefited from him. Its hard to say that someone who was all district, all region, and owns a 3 point record at smyrna is terrible. Im sure all these guys wish they had it to do over again as everyone knew how talented they were.That 2000-2001 team was loaded and fun to watch and they should have went further.

Billy Mooney is no longer the coach at Smyrna. Lonnie Drayton took over this past year. I have been following SHS sports for a long time. Mooney had some really good teams and some teams that were dreadful. Boys Basketball has been down but with the coaching change has sparked life into the program. Lonnie will do a great job at Smyrna. After doing some research these are records i have...

1998-99 12-16

1999-00 19-15 (District Tourney Champs, went to sectionals, lost to Antioch)

2000-01 22-8 (This team should have won the gold ball. District Champions, Lost in the region semis)

2001-02 14-17 (Lost to i believe Hendersonville in district championship)

2002-03 18-11 (STarted out 12 and 0, dont really know what happened)

2003-04 3-22

2004-05 6-23

2005-06 7-20

2006-07 8-20

2007-08 5-21

2008-09 9-18 (Draytons first year)

On a side note Hicks is playing ball overseas and is doing really well. I think he plays in the las vegas summer league with an nba team in hopes of making it one day. Sage did go to tusculum, but did not stay long. Warner went to UNC Ashville and played for 4 years, Swader went to a junior college then played at ETSU. He was trying get on a team overseas but im not really sure if that worked out.

As big chief stated Caldwell was a great set shooter. He did benefit from having both swader and warner but they also benefited from him. Its hard to say that someone who was all district, all region, and owns a 3 point record at smyrna is terrible. Im sure all these guys wish they had it to do over again as everyone knew how talented they were.That 2000-2001 team was loaded and fun to watch and they should have went further.

02-03 with the almightty caldwell, swader, and warner lost in the 1st round of the district. caldwell was a good shooter, not a good basketball player. he never went inside the 3 point line, never rebounded, and couldnt play a lick of defense. funny no one has mentioned heath hardin's name.

Congrats nrgrizzlies for turning this thread into a rip session of former Bulldog players and coaches. Nice try on shifting your post into a rant on the "horrible situation" our schools are in when really by simply reading your wonderfully inciteful posts, we all know 1) you DO hate Smyrna HS and 2) the school you support is the school with the most academic and discipline problems in the whole county!

Coach Mooney, Chad Caldwell, and all the other Bulldogs have moved on. They didnt win the state 7 or 8 years ago...you think they should have. Great. Go do something productive today...maybe work on the "horrible" academic problems of our schools as you stated.....or just go ahead and start another Smyrna is no good thread....that seems to be your favorite past time.

Congrats nrgrizzlies for turning this thread into a rip session of former Bulldog players and coaches. Nice try on shifting your post into a rant on the "horrible situation" our schools are in when really by simply reading your wonderfully inciteful posts, we all know 1) you DO hate Smyrna HS and 2) the school you support is the school with the most academic and discipline problems in the whole county!

Coach Mooney, Chad Caldwell, and all the other Bulldogs have moved on. They didnt win the state 7 or 8 years ago...you think they should have. Great. Go do something productive today...maybe work on the "horrible" academic problems of our schools as you stated.....or just go ahead and start another Smyrna is no good thread....that seems to be your favorite past time.

Maybe you should consider adult literacy classes in the near future (even though it would obviously be a stretch to think you might be an adult)...because if you go back and READ and actually COMPREHEND "who wrote what" - you will find that it was NOT ME who...

#1 - called Smyrna's coach "lazy" (in bold caps)

#2 - made the implication of a choke job by not winning the state with a twin towers low post situation

#3 - made an accusation of drug use against a former student-athlete

Go back and you will see that the biggest Smyrna hoops haters in this thread are their own "supporters."

In the big picture, all thing considered - the school closest to getting high marks from me at this point (combination of academics, sports, faculty, etc.) - would be Blackman. If they have "the most academic and conduct issues" in the county, please let us all know about them soon.

Maybe you should consider adult literacy classes in the near future (even though it would obviously be a stretch to think you might be an adult)...because if you go back and READ and actually COMPREHEND "who wrote what" - you will find that it was NOT ME who...

#2 - made the implication of a choke job by not winning the state with a twin towers low post situation

Go back and you will see that the biggest Smyrna hoops haters in this thread are their own "supporters."

In the big picture, all thing considered - the school closest to getting high marks from me at this point (combination of academics, sports, faculty, etc.) - would be Blackman. If they have "the most academic and conduct issues" in the county, please let us all know about them soon.

what a joke. have you ever heard of a school called siegel??? from an athletic prospective blackman stinks at everything with the exception of girls basketball. and dont come back with "oh we won the district in this and that" who cares about districts? maybe someone from blackman. i want to know who goes to state tournaments and makes some noise in the state...not in the county.

from an academic standpoint, siegel is in the top 3 in the STATE in their test scores and way above the rest in the county. the same can be said with siegel's graduation rate.

and since this is on a basketball thread, when is teh last time blackman wasnt in the bottom half of the district? wasnt it siegel who was beating blackman 41-9 at half time last year AT BLACKMAN and beat them 25+ twice this season???

NOW YOU GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT SON!!!

Fact- Mooney is lazy

Fact-Sage smoked to much pot after high school

and by the way...Raikes made a bad hire... coach young should have received the head job at smyrna. lonnie wont do anything there because he has 0 discipline. those kids will play when the going is good, get them down a little and they fold like tents. as evident in the 77-25 thrashing siegel gave them. that was with siegel's jv team playing about half of the game. and i believe hammonds only played the 1st quarter.

what a joke. have you ever heard of a school called siegel??? from an athletic prospective blackman stinks at everything with the exception of girls basketball. and dont come back with "oh we won the district in this and that" who cares about districts? maybe someone from blackman. i want to know who goes to state tournaments and makes some noise in the state...not in the county.

from an academic standpoint, siegel is in the top 3 in the STATE in their test scores and way above the rest in the county. the same can be said with siegel's graduation rate.

and since this is on a basketball thread, when is teh last time blackman wasnt in the bottom half of the district? wasnt it siegel who was beating blackman 41-9 at half time last year AT BLACKMAN and beat them 25+ twice this season???

NOW YOU GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT SON!!!

When you get to handpick your own kids like Nolan got to, you better test well.

hand pick your kids???? i have read tons of your posts and you usually make pretty good sense. that one was way off though. you know just as well as i do that a principal doesnt "pick" their students.

When Nolan resigned at Oakland to take the Siegel job, he first became a Interim Superintendent. From that position, he was able to manipulate the zoning lines and systematically gut anything good from Oakland.

hand pick your kids???? i have read tons of your posts and you usually make pretty good sense. that one was way off though. you know just as well as i do that a principal doesnt "pick" their students.

Even though those comment don't involve me, I will chime in.

If Siegel got to pick and choose 100% of the student body they would not have quite a few kids "from the other side of the tracks" which they do that people never hear about. You hear about the ones who are smart or athletic or musically talented or nice looking or have lots of money or popular or whatever else positive. You don't hear about the non-conformist/outcast ones they have with green and purple hair and pierced everythings that people say are more concerned with "high" than "school." They may not live in the immediate area of the school (maybe they are from the outter reaches of the school zone) - but those in the know say many standard classes at Siegel are full of the same unmotivated misfit underachievers as any other school. On that basis, I give a slight nod to Blackman at this time in my own subjective view of where I would send a kid if the zones were totally open. Nobody is required to agree or disagree.

(I would put Siegel a close 2nd on the list - so, I am not slamming them totally)