Foul Ball question?

FridayMainEvent

I've always felt that fair territory extended from the rear point of the plate in a straight line to each of the foul polls. I was under the assumption that this included the portion of the batter's box which this line intersects. I've seen two instances this year where a batted ball came to rest in the batters box which placed it on the "fair" side of this line, but was ruled foul because it never left the box. I had what I consider a very good umpire in Chapel Hill tell me this was indeed a foul ball, because the foul line does not dissect the box. It would call for the umpire to make a judgment as to whether a ball was fair or not. I ask him if he considered the plate and the area immediately in front of plate between the two boxes to be fair and he correctly stated yes. This made sense to me so I decided he was likely correct.

Yesterday, a girl hit a ball up the first base line that never left the batter's box and umpire ruled it fair. Catcher picked up ball and threw her out. Seems to be about as many opinions on this ruling as any I've seen. Can someone site the rulebook on this one?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I Googled it, and there is a different answer just about everywhere you look.

This is a fair ball. Any ball hit between the lines is fair. The lines extend from the back of home plate to each foul pole. With no line in batter's box, the umpire is to line up with the back of the plate and the foul line to first or third base and make a judgement call of fair or foul.

This is a fair ball. Any ball hit between the lines is fair. The lines extend from the back of home plate to each foul pole. With no line in batter's box, the umpire is to line up with the back of the plate and the foul line to first or third base and make a judgement call of fair or foul.

That is exactly what I had always thought. Been playing or coaching for over 30 years and this season was the first time I had ever seen that particular call made. (batter's box is foul) I didn't know if a rule had been changed or what was going on. As I said, this guy is usually a very solid ump and the "field" ump agreed with his ruling. Thanks.

The ball is fair if it is inside the lines whether they are seen or not unless it touches the batter while still inside the box.

As I said, I totally agree, Owl. Amazing that more than one umpire has disagreed with that this season. I had never heard that the batters box was considered foul before this season. I didn't know if some rule change had been made that I was unaware of. Just shows the lack of quality umps I suppose.

If the ball lands any where between the lines and stays there it is a fair ball. I've seen some teams eliminate the front, plate side corners when lining off the fields. That is probably for just that reason. Another thing I've seen alot of in the last 10 years or so is an umpire calling a ball foul just because it bounced off of the plate. That is another call that has always driven me nuts.

the home plate is in fair territory; if the batted ball goes fair, the fact that it bounced off the plate doesn't change a thing; it is still fair. the fact that a ball lands in the batter's box does not make it foul. the location of the batter's box has nothing to do with whether a ball is fair or foul. i find it difficult to believe that an umpire told you that if a ball lands in any part of the batter's box it is a foul ball.

the home plate is in fair territory; if the batted ball goes fair, the fact that it bounced off the plate doesn't change a thing; it is still fair. the fact that a ball lands in the batter's box does not make it foul. the location of the batter's box has nothing to do with whether a ball is fair or foul. i find it difficult to believe that an umpire told you that if a ball lands in a certain part of the batter's box it is a foul ball.

I have not umpired for several years, but I do know that call can be hard to make sometimes, Things happen so fast at that time, The upm has to make his best judgement call. Also some upm do not set up behind the catcher in the right slot to really see. Plus some catcher get so close up under the batter it is hard to really see to make the call, It is really hard to argure a judgement call in this situation. As a coach , we do have a different view of things because we are sitting at a different angel.

Lets go play ball,, enjoy the day. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />