SHOWDOWN THURSDAY

akula21

Comment on the Bearden and Farragut game:

Chapel and Compton are by far my two favorite referess; therefore, I am only comfortable admonishing them because I think they are the best, but I thought the Bearden and Farragut game was a little chippy last night. In my opinion, not one, but TWO PK's were missed last night. Early in the first half, Ryan Campbell abused his defender, and he was blatantly tripped in the box--not only was a PK not called, but there was not even a foul called. Furthermore, in the second half, a Farragut player was on a breakaway, and a Bearden player clearly and egregiously made no attempt on a ball and hacked the Farragut player in the box--it was almost like he was LOOKING for a card.

I am a huge fan of a ref who lets the game flow and lets players play, but I thought that if Ryan Campbell's PK was called in the first half that it might have helped Bearden come alive. Although who is to say that Culbreth wouldn't have kept his studs in for the entire game if Campbell gets his PK? Overall, I think both of the twins (Chapel and Compton) do an OUTSTANDING job at becoming invisible and letting the game be played out--there are numerous referees in this area who call it WAY too tight--but I thought there was a lot missed last night.

Growing concern/pet peeve of mine--When refs refuse or are scared to call a PK.

Dins, I remember both plays and you have a very good point. Though I was too far away to see if the foul on Ryan was in the box or not, it definitely was close and the Farragut fans in stands were breathing a sigh of relief with the no-PK, no-call even muttering about how we can't believe that wasn't called. I think the 2nd foul you described was also in the 1st half, closer to the fans, but didn??™t think that was in the box (I could be mistaken and thinking of another play). BUT I do agree about the preponderance of no PK calls, if I??™m not mistaken, we??™ve only seen 2 all year (made one missed one) and none called against Farragut (which I am VERY surprised). Not sure if PKs are down this year or not, or if trend is declining, but could be an interesting topic to see how many are actually called.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone got a Farragut/middle tn fire score?

edit: nevermind, just refreshed the euro page and Farragut won 3-0.

It's nice to see that Farragut had all their defenders there. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

As a parent and fan, I've done my share of complaining about calls...its part of the sport. The good refs ignore it, the poor ones engage the players or fans and show they aren't really focused on the game. A ref should be invisible and not try to be the star of the show. Weathermen and Refs...they get paid regardless of their accuracy!!!

Regarding the comment about the District Player of the Year being denied that title because of his constant whining about calls? I agree with this approach. Yes, it may be a character flaw, but so is "diving", overly criticizing teammates instead of leading them on the field, disrespect to your coach, complaining about being subbed out, being (in your own mind) you are infallible and anything bad (including calls) is someone else's fault....all these character attributes add up to make the whole player.

Prima Donnas should be awarded the Prima Donna title, otherwise, the players with the best talent, best work ethic, best leadership skills on the field + the least amount of character flaws affecting their and their teams' game are the top players in my book.

I can agree with your above statement- however, I replied to soccerdevil about this and his only statement about the kid was that he whined about calls- not all of the things you stated above: direspect, complaining, criticizing, etc, etc.....

I do not know who the kid was- still I agree with most of what you said above!

Pseudo- Mark signed to play for Memphis. I'd be interested in hearing your opinion of their program.

Today's the big day! Good luck to all teams involved! I wish it was a Friday and not a Thursday so I could catch one of them.

Mark Sherrod signed with Memphis? It would be hard to come up with an opinion....I haven't seen him play, but after doing some research- it appears Memphis needs some offensive fire power. Cody McCoy from Knoxville plays there and played in 15 games out of 19- so they must be in need of players. The two of them might make a good pair! They won 6 games out of 19....so the team is not that impressive. I have seen 2 of the teams they played last year and they didn't beat either one of them. My opinion is that they were probably a weak team. It changes every year! I just have not been that impressed with div 1 schools- terrible soccer most of the time. Someone posted on here about the NAIA schools- it's true that they have different rules for players- I went to pick up a freshman for Coach Neto at Univ of the Cumberlands- he flew in from Germany- landed in Knoxville. I was expecting a young kid- this guy was 24 years old, 6' 4" tall- he was a man. He was an amazing defender! It is not uncommon to see guys 26, 28 etc....so it is a different situation. To be a good player and compete against these guys takes guts!!! Still, some of these schools are amazing- worth a young talented player looking at!!!

Mark Sherrod signed with Memphis? It would be hard to come up with an opinion....I haven't seen him play, but after doing some research- it appears Memphis needs some offensive fire power. Cody McCoy from Knoxville plays there and played in 15 games out of 19- so they must be in need of players. The two of them might make a good pair! They won 6 games out of 19....so the team is not that impressive. I have seen 2 of the teams they played last year and they didn't beat either one of them. My opinion is that they were probably a weak team. It changes every year! I just have not been that impressed with div 1 schools- terrible soccer most of the time. Someone posted on here about the NAIA schools- it's true that they have different rules for players- I went to pick up a freshman for Coach Neto at Univ of the Cumberlands- he flew in from Germany- landed in Knoxville. I was expecting a young kid- this guy was 24 years old, 6' 4" tall- he was a man. He was an amazing defender! It is not uncommon to see guys 26, 28 etc....so it is a different situation. To be a good player and compete against these guys takes guts!!! Still, some of these schools are amazing- worth a young talented player looking at!!!

I am not sure to whom or to what this actually addresses. Are you blasting Mark, Cody, D1? How can you say that Memphis is a weak team without even seeing them play? Are you saying that Memphis is down because Cody plays there? It certainly sounds like you are saying that! Both Cody and Mark are great players and will be great assets to Memphis. Maybe I am missing something (and I very often am), but shouldn't you give these two boys and the Memphis program a little more credit? If I misread your post, I apologize.

I am not sure to whom or to what this actually addresses. Are you blasting Mark, Cody, D1? How can you say that Memphis is a weak team without even seeing them play? Are you saying that Memphis is down because Cody plays there? It certainly sounds like you are saying that! Both Cody and Mark are great players and will be great assets to Memphis. Maybe I am missing something (and I very often am), but shouldn't you give these two boys and the Memphis program a little more credit? If I misread your post, I apologize.

Hey Dins8, I was addressing cnpitbull- he asked for my opinion about Memphis. I gave him the best reply I could- I admit that having not seen them play I could only guess based on their record and the teams I have seen play. As far as the question about blasting Cody or Mark- that was NOT the intent. I have always felt that Cody was a great player. My own sons played against him- one of them a defender for Bearden, who came home and stated that Cody was for real and one of the better players he faced while in high school! Thats quit a compliment- they rarely say such a thing about anyone that isn't a teammate! So I am certainly not trying to say something negative about him- as far as Sherrod goes, I haven't had the pleasure to watch him play- but will soon! I would blast most any of the D1 schools because they generally play very poor soccer! While it is sometimes effective, simply because they have more physical talent, seeing them kick a ball 60 yards back and forth ........well, watching them is painful! Just watch the D1 championship game between Maryland and North Carolina- it is sickening....a giant game of kick ball! I dare say that there were 5 teams in the NAIA that would beat them or at least teach them how to make a string of 6 passes together! Something that rarely happened in that game.

I just wish players quit putting so much into going to a D1 school, just because it is a D1 school. That alone does not make them better and so many people go to one of them, only to be disappointed. I think having McCoy and Sherrod is a step in the right direction for Memphis!!