Morristown East High

1hoopsfan

AD Calvin Decker (great basketball coach Cherokee & Mo East)

& Prin. Gary Johnson both want a coach that will be there for 10 years or more.

They do not want to go through this hiring process every couple of years.

That has happened too often @ East.

Whoever is hired will have to prove they are going to stay.

Mr. Johnson wants this to be the last basketball coach that he has to hire.

The question is do you want a proven head coach with a long track record

or a young up and coming coach.

If you look TSSAA the request is for :

EXPERIENCE, MATURITY, knowledge of the game,

high morals, leadership ability, disciplinarian and a desire to win.

Does not sound like they are looking for a young coach.

Sounds like when they wrote the job description they had

Coach Billy Ray Duncan in mind.

If they can not find the right man for the job

look for coach Decker to take the job back for a year or 2.

He is not going to allow this program that he built to fall apart.

Does anybody remember where this program was after the Morrisson era.

1 Bill Duncan

2 Rick Sinard

3 Jeremy Parrott

4 Tony Scott (yes I do rememeber when he helped Stomper)

Maturity, high morals, discipline? You CANNOT be talking about the head coach at GP! Rowl, Rauel, Raoul, whatever his name is. I can't believe a grandparent from Rutledge/Grainger would say what was said after the poor show of sportsmanship he showed at Grainger this past season. You can be sure none of my kids would play for him. I want them to LEARN to be a mature player with discipline, and high morals for play on the court. He does not exhibit this himself and is a poor example for his team. There is no way on this green earth that the powers that be at Morristown East would even consider him for an assistant's position, let alone the head position. We sure don't like him over in Dog/Panther country and are always glad to see the game end, whatever the outcome, and see him go back to the hills of GP. Give me a break!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if he would leave but from what I have seen the past two seasons at GP he can turn a program around. "Boxn1"Didn't they finish tied for 1st in the District last year and lost their best player to an injury at the start of the district tournament if not would have played in a district championship? They also made it to the championship this year, they beat us in the semi-finals with average talent team. Boxn1 they had those two bigs inside but guards were average at best!! Not better than Union,Cumberland Gap, or Claiborne and definitely not better than us. No one was better than McBee, his post player was a wash with Humph and Framer was better than any wing they had.

You are kidding right? Please tell me your post is sarcastic and you don't really think he turned anything around!

We as parents and grandparents didn't see anything of that sort. Well played game and they won. You must know something we don't. They were all very cordial and saw his interaction with our Coach, Mr.Combs didn't see anything wrong.His kids love playing for him and Coach McBee and Combs have nothing but good things to say. You must be a parent who is upset at the fact they beat you. We all don't have to agree but I think he carries himself in a very good way.

Would have to agree with Hsfansince78. If you look back at what they did from 2002-2006 it has been a turnaround. I counted a total of 24 wins in those years they have won 32 games in just 2 years, Tied for 1st place in the District in 2008 and went to the district championship this past year. Looking at it you maybe upset they have beat you 4 straight times from what it says here on Coacht.

Don't know if he has changed since his playing days but from what I hear everyone is really high on him.

We as parents and grandparents didn't see anything of that sort. Well played game and they won. You must know something we don't. They were all very cordial and saw his interaction with our Coach, Mr.Combs didn't see anything wrong.His kids love playing for him and Coach McBee and Combs have nothing but good things to say. You must be a parent who is upset at the fact they beat you. We all don't have to agree but I think he carries himself in a very good way.

Unfortunately, those sitting in the bleachers rarely see the true side of anyone on the court. You need to attend more games and watch things a little more closely. If you think you've heard him "praised", then you need to get to the doctor real quick and have your ears washed out because you definately have a hearing problem. I'm speaking from first hand experience. No kids playing for anyone, just a very observant participant.

Would have to agree with Hsfansince78. If you look back at what they did from 2002-2006 it has been a turnaround. I counted a total of 24 wins in those years they have won 32 games in just 2 years, Tied for 1st place in the District in 2008 and went to the district championship this past year. Looking at it you maybe upset they have beat you 4 straight times from what it says here on Coacht.

Don't know if he has changed since his playing days but from what I hear everyone is really high on him.

Only people really "high" on him are from GP. I've not heard anyone in the district who likes the guy like some have posted.

Was he not the Coach of the Year in the District in his first year? If his peers don't like him I don't think they would have voted for him. I know Coach Combs and Coach Harville like the young man.

Things do change. First season he had a lot of people to impress. Things change. You may not know as much as you think you do about him. From the experiences I've had/seen from him, he would not coach one of my kids if they played. Learning to win isn't everything. Attitudes and how you get things done are as important. The game is to teach young men and women, and I for one don't like what I see him instilling in the young people he is being paid to influence. How easy it is to blind parents, fans, and powers that be with the scoreboard. I hope you can live with what the kids are being taught by mouth and by example. I'd sure hate to have to live with it.

Things do change. First season he had a lot of people to impress. Things change. You may not know as much as you think you do about him. From the experiences I've had/seen from him, he would not coach one of my kids if they played. Learning to win isn't everything. Attitudes and how you get things done are as important. The game is to teach young men and women, and I for one don't like what I see him instilling in the young people he is being paid to influence. How easy it is to blind parents, fans, and powers that be with the scoreboard. I hope you can live with what the kids are being taught by mouth and by example. I'd sure hate to have to live with it.

You my friend are an idiot with a chip on your shoulder. PRobably from the friendly confines of Cumberland Gap High School, with a chip on your shoulder because he BEAT YOUR @55. Do I smell sour grapes???

I would have to agree that Coach Scott Eggleston would be an excellent choice for any program looking to get to a championship level. He took his West Orange team to the final 4 in Florida and then opened a new school to build a program. he moved to Cumberland Co. because it was a better situation for his family. He inherited a program with 0 players with varsity experience. In his 3 seasons CCHS went to the region tournament twice. The school had only been to the region once in the previous nine seasons, and those teams were from one large school. Coach Egg did it with half the student enrollment due to Stone memorial opening across town. He has coached at the college level, and knows what it takes to get there.

I would have to agree that Coach Scott Eggleston would be an excellent choice for any program looking to get to a championship level. He took his West Orange team to the final 4 in Florida and then opened a new school to build a program. he moved to Cumberland Co. because it was a better situation for his family. He inherited a program with 0 players with varsity experience. In his 3 seasons CCHS went to the region tournament twice. The school had only been to the region once in the previous nine seasons, and those teams were from one large school. Coach Egg did it with half the student enrollment due to Stone memorial opening across town. He has coached at the college level, and knows what it takes to get there.

I wold say he didn't do his homework on the type school and community he was moving into. Many times these transplants from Florida or any other area come into a setting like this and just don't "fit". Crossville can be a closed community in many ways even though there are many retirees there. Sounds like he got caught up in the good old boys system of the ruling elite of Cumberland Co. You should have stayed in Florida lad. Sounds like he got a lesson in small town Tennessee politics. Let me guess some local yokal just graduated from Tech and needs a job.

You my friend are an idiot with a chip on your shoulder. PRobably from the friendly confines of Cumberland Gap High School, with a chip on your shoulder because he BEAT YOUR @55. Do I smell sour grapes???

No chip, just the plain old truth. Sorry you are blind and can't see it. No sour grapes here.

With East giving young coaches a chance in baseball (Chris Gillies) and girls' basketball (Tracy Cloninger), why not give Derek Creech a shot at the boys' job? He's coached some of these young men at one poiint in time and has learned a great deal about the game while being an assistant under Bill Carlyle at WSCC.

Plus, he would be the coach that would be most likely the one to stay for an extended period of time as his family and his wife's family are both located here in Morristown.