District 8-AAA Tournament

sportsguy22

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was told that according to the district by-laws, that to be able to host a district tourney, you have to have lights and a tarp. TSSAA requires that for schools hosting state tournement games and I'm fairly certain, it's a requirement for Region and Sectional or sub-state games.

i would like to see that in writing... brings to mind the good old days when we played at 4pm or 4:30 after the time change and we could get home and see the family before bed... not the next morning after getting home at 11pm from a wednesday night district game...

unless that is changed the home team just needs to have a field that works - you know - 90 ft bases, a backstop and some type of lawn furniture for bleachers...

also - hosting is too much to fool with - i'd rather just play, not have to worry about field prep, especially since we are in the beginning of the 40 day flood... fishing anyone?

Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but everyone in District 8-AAA better prepare for a strange tournament this year. With the weather forecast for the next several days and no lights in Columbia, this tournament is likely headed for a Friday, Saturday or even a Sunday finish with the region set to begin on that Monday. Not to mention, the possibility of changing it to a single-elimination format (which I'm sure would be the very last resort). None of us would be happy with that I'm sure. This could get really hairy. In my humble opinion, two sites may need to be used for a couple days in order to get back on some sort of schedule. Otherwise, we're looking at a long and stressful week for everyone involved.

Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but everyone in District 8-AAA better prepare for a strange tournament this year. With the weather forecast for the next several days and no lights in Columbia, this tournament is likely headed for a Friday, Saturday or even a Sunday finish with the region set to begin on that Monday. Not to mention, the possibility of changing it to a single-elimination format (which I'm sure would be the very last resort). None of us would be happy with that I'm sure. This could get really hairy. In my humble opinion, two sites may need to be used for a couple days in order to get back on some sort of schedule. Otherwise, we're looking at a long and stressful week for everyone involved.

I agree, lets hold it at your site , I'm tired of slinging Mule Mix. I'll sit back and criticize.

No the very last resort I was told is in the bylaws: Top two teams in reg season advance. By the way I may change my log on ID to DEAD HORSE. I've (Columbia) been beaten on so much. /sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Right now lights are not the problem. IT'S WATER. I was told that the Bass Master Classic is Scouting Columbia. I've have had 5.33 inches of rain at my house today.

I was told that according to the district by-laws, that to be able to host a district tourney, you have to have lights and a tarp. TSSAA requires that for schools hosting state tournement games and I'm fairly certain, it's a requirement for Region and Sectional or sub-state games.

This is where I would like to actually see a copy of the by-laws, because you hear this and I have heard different, and I'm sure everyone else has heard some different variation lol. But from my understanding it was checked and it was nowhere in the by-laws that you did have to have lights, that is why the tournament was going to stay put. And Columbia has hosted region games before without lights. Coffee County didnt' have a tarp until this year and hosted the district last year and in 2003. I would like to see a copy though, be interesting as to what is actually in there and what isn't.

This is where I would like to actually see a copy of the by-laws, because you hear this and I have heard different, and I'm sure everyone else has heard some different variation lol. But from my understanding it was checked and it was nowhere in the by-laws that you did have to have lights, that is why the tournament was going to stay put. And Columbia has hosted region games before without lights. Coffee County didnt' have a tarp until this year and hosted the district last year and in 2003. I would like to see a copy though, be interesting as to what is actually in there and what isn't.

My guess is someone is referring to the TSSAA handbook, but that is pretty vague:

www.tssaa.org/handbook/baseball.pdf

Page 2

Adequate baseball facilities may include but are not limited to: ... information?

I have a hunch several district tournaments across the state, baseball and softball, are being held at fields without lights???