Nina Davenport to MTSU

Indian

From Baylor. She signed with MTSU, there's a story about it in this morning's paper. Yet another Chattanooga player UTC can't keep and/or doesn't offer (Waters at Southern Illinois, Thomas at Tennessee Tech, GPS signings/verbals going to Knoxville, etc).

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Baylor. She signed with MTSU, there's a story about it in this morning's paper. Yet another Chattanooga player UTC can't keep and/or doesn't offer (Waters at Southern Illinois, Thomas at Tennessee Tech, GPS signings/verbals going to Knoxville, etc).

Whats up with UTC not keeping Chatt. players. Is there something to be said about the UTC program?

Just curious, I am not from the Chatt. area.

MTSU's best hitter this year is from Red Bank if I'm not mistaken. I don't want to turn this into a college topic completely but maybe it's not publicized well enough when UTC offers these players, maybe they're not offering a high enough portion or sometimes the players just want to leave home. It does seem like at times they have a grass is greener attitude and bring in a player from elsewhere. UTC does have a couple of good players from in-town, Stiles from Soddy-Daisy and Baker from East Ridge (though she originally signed with UT-Knoxville). They had Blevins from SD for one year. I just think they could have a top 25 type program, every year, with more of the local players. It's hard to recruit against the Weekleys but against other programs in the midmajor category, even when they're ranked like Southern Illinois has been, they shouldn't lose too many.

I may be wrong and I apologize in advance if I am and/or offend anybody but... isn't UTC basically a glorified junior college? It may be that UTC offers a lot of these girls and tries to keep them local but they want more options education-wise, more degree programs. Doesn't MTSU have the largest undergrad enrolment in TN? Maybe they're looking to get away from home or prefer a larger campus and student body? As long as UTC has a few Chatt. area players on their roster each year I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

I may be wrong and I apologize in advance if I am and/or offend anybody but... isn't UTC basically a glorified junior college? It may be that UTC offers a lot of these girls and tries to keep them local but they want more options education-wise, more degree programs. Doesn't MTSU have the largest undergrad enrolment in TN? Maybe they're looking to get away from home or prefer a larger campus and student body? As long as UTC has a few Chatt. area players on their roster each year I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

From experience let me inform you that UTC is not a "glorified junior college". However, it is always concerning when a local institution of great learning seems to overlook the local talent.

Let's all hope that in the future our local institutions will pay more attention to local players.

We have many to choose from...and they are "flying the coop" !! /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

From experience let me inform you that UTC is not a "glorified junior college". However, it is always concerning when a local institution of great learning seems to overlook the local talent.

Let's all hope that in the future our local institutions will pay more attention to local players.

We have many to choose from...and they are "flying the coop" !! /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

And yes, Mr. Noitall...I am a "Newbie". /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

And yes, Mr. Noitall...I am a "Newbie". /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Welcome "SenorNewbie" I agree with my best friend the mid state has a few players head up to the Ky area instead of stayin at home. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

15 out of 18 players are from TN or Ga (10&5), you can't sign them all. Just won 3rd conf championship in a row, not bad for a JC.

With its location, winning tradition and the stadium this program has the potential to do more than just win its mid-major conference. The last time I checked they've won 2 games the entire season against teams with winning records.

Memphis and ETSU are a couple more benefiting from area talent this year. That's not exactly losing out to UCLA.

With its location, winning tradition and the stadium this program has the potential to do more than just win its mid-major conference. The last time I checked they've won 2 games the entire season against teams with winning records.

Memphis and ETSU are a couple more benefiting from area talent this year. That's not exactly losing out to UCLA.

Indian, look at their roster. You are WAY OFF on this one. They have a very high number of players from the Chattanooga Area.

Baker (East Ridge), Eason (Boyd Buchanon), Kelley (Boyd Buchanon), Martin (Ringgold), Stiles (Soddy Daisy), Flores (L-FO), Holloway (GPS), and Holloway (Gordon Lee). That is eight from the area. Six of them start, in softball you start nine or ten, so that is over half of their starters that are locals. I believe you would be hard pressed to find many universities with that kind of "local ratio".

I'm talking pitching more than batters with the current roster, specifically Waters (15-2, 1.65) at Southern Illinois and Thomas (2.90, leads the team in innings as a freshman) at Tennessee Tech. Thomas has better numbers than any Lady Moc pitcher except Loudermilk who missed a lot of the season. Those 3 on one team would be some staff. There are some like Kamri Chester who could have been helping at the plate, too. Were they and others offered, who knows. If they received comparable offers to what they eventually got and just wanted to go elsewhere for college, fine, there's not much else that can be done. The GPS players going to Knoxville, they should still be recruited by UTC in case things don't work out and they decide to transfer, but I give Reed a pass on losing out any to the Weekleys with what they have going.

I mentioned Baker (who went to Tennessee first), Stiles and Blevins, they were among the best in Chattanooga this decade. Those are the types the Lady Mocs need to keep if they want to make any more World Series appearances. Waters and Thomas have that type of talent, in the circle. Davenport, who knows yet but she's batting .560 against what I'd guess is a pretty tough schedule. She won't hit .560 in college but appears to have the potential to be a difference maker but it will be in Murfreesboro. The bottom line is even with some locals signed (and I admit I don't keep track of North Georgia ball) too many of the top level players from the county manage to slip away nowadays. Look at the teams with players like Reed, Alexander, Pickett, they could compete with nearly anybody. They didn't have completely local rosters either but for the most part they were keeping most every top player or only losing them to an Alabama type program (Jackie McClain for example).