Nina Davenport to MTSU

Indian

I'm talking pitching more than batters with the current roster, specifically Waters (15-2, 1.65) at Southern Illinois and Thomas (2.90, leads the team in innings as a freshman) at Tennessee Tech. Thomas has better numbers than any Lady Moc pitcher except Loudermilk who missed a lot of the season. Those 3 on one team would be some staff. There are some like Kamri Chester who could have been helping at the plate, too. Were they and others offered, who knows. If they received comparable offers to what they eventually got and just wanted to go elsewhere for college, fine, there's not much else that can be done. The GPS players going to Knoxville, they should still be recruited by UTC in case things don't work out and they decide to transfer, but I give Reed a pass on losing out any to the Weekleys with what they have going.

I mentioned Baker (who went to Tennessee first), Stiles and Blevins, they were among the best in Chattanooga this decade. Those are the types the Lady Mocs need to keep if they want to make any more World Series appearances. Waters and Thomas have that type of talent, in the circle. Davenport, who knows yet but she's batting .560 against what I'd guess is a pretty tough schedule. She won't hit .560 in college but appears to have the potential to be a difference maker but it will be in Murfreesboro. The bottom line is even with some locals signed (and I admit I don't keep track of North Georgia ball) too many of the top level players from the county manage to slip away nowadays. Look at the teams with players like Reed, Alexander, Pickett, they could compete with nearly anybody. They didn't have completely local rosters either but for the most part they were keeping most every top player or only losing them to an Alabama type program (Jackie McClain for example).

How did they lose Blevins. I beleive she was starting for them but now I see she is gone.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think one of the reasons that UTC does not get more of the quality local players is they don't make an offer if they don't think you will take it. As far as I know, none of last years GPS grads even rec'd an offer from them (all signed D1 scholarships 2 with Memphis, 1 with Howard, and 1 with ETSU).

• 3 weeks later...

Like Tiffany Baker she took an indirect route to the Mocs but regardless this is a big deal for the program. You could make an argument she's the top pitcher to come out of Chattanooga. Beth Alexander won big at East Ridge but she probably had a stronger line-up supporting her and I'd say the competition Soddy-Daisy faced was better than East Ridge's at that time (though still in Class AAA).

When East Ridge won it the second time there had already been a split but GPS was just getting their program going strong and Baylor had dropped off quite a bit from their Class AAA state title days. The season East Ridge won it the first time GPS was Class AA anyway (and probably was even less a threat to win it) and I don't remember any in AAA other than maybe Father Ryan that would have put up a big fight. I remember Brentwood Academy having some good players around that time but they were playing Class AA until the split and East Ridge was AAA. When I said stronger competition now I meant what Soddy-Daisy had to see in the district and region, with teams like Bradley a lot better and Walker Valley starting since then, then the likes of Riverdale or Coffee County in the sectionals and onto stronger teams statewide in the AAA final 8. (I know they may not have played all of these teams in the 06 and 07 title years, just examples).