Anderson County Football

I spoke of Randy McKamey before the last selection process, due to his local ties. I never heard his name mentioned before or after the process. Don't know if he even applied. Still have not heard his name mentioned. I know someone who knows him pretty well and he has not mentioned him in relation to the job.

He would be a good one though. Who can argued against what he has done with Grace.

What he did at Grace was to take the kids from Clinton that got tired of sitting behind Stone and Hazelhurst and had them join him in a school in a lower classification. Was that a true test of his "coaching ability"? Probably not. That was after his one year stint at AC and he was not invited back. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get you, Oppressed. Coaching a class A team, private at that, does not even come close in comparison to coaching a class AAA team (relativley speaking by the old classification). How does a school like Anderson County compare to a 5A a team like Oak Ridge or Farragut (coaching that is)?

How many kids left Clinton and went to Grace with McKamey to make that big of a difference? I know the Little kid went, who else? Some of them that went with McKamey, won the middle school championship under him at Clinton. Wasn't that where he went after AC.

Debate really doesn't matter though, my bet is Gillium. I've met him and like him. His coaching history is sound. He loves AC and wants to come home. Really, I guess without George Quarles applying, its all a roll of the dice.

Go AC!

Gillium would be the best choice for the AC football program. This is a Great Christian guy who does things the right way and more importantly its not about him its about the kids. Same cant always be said about past coach's. The guy from Grace will not be hired. Guy has been at 5 different jobs in last 7 years and is happy scoring 65 points a game against Jellico. Everyone that loves Anderson County football will be happy with Gillium as football coach and proud that he is coaching his or her young man.

I get you, Oppressed. Coaching a class A team, private at that, does not even come close in comparison to coaching a class AAA team (relativley speaking by the old classification). How does a school like Anderson County compare to a 5A a team like Oak Ridge or Farragut (coaching that is)?

How many kids left Clinton and went to Grace with McKamey to make that big of a difference? I know the Little kid went, who else? Some of them that went with McKamey, won the middle school championship under him at Clinton. Wasn't that where he went after AC.

Debate really doesn't matter though, my bet is Gillium. I've met him and like him. His coaching history is sound. He loves AC and wants to come home. Really, I guess without George Quarles applying, its all a roll of the dice.

Go AC!

The only ones i know for sure were Little and Hester. But those two kids were a big part of Grace's offence. Brandon Davis transferred to Coalfield from Clinton a few years back, and look at what he did for Coalfield.

The only ones i know for sure were Little and Hester. But those two kids were a big part of Grace's offence. Brandon Davis transferred to Coalfield from Clinton a few years back, and look at what he did for Coalfield.

Don't mistake what I'm saying about the kids that followed McKamey to Grace. All good football players.Had every right to do that if that's what they thought was the best move for them at the time. Free country, you know. But, 92D that's a discussion for a different thread.

Yes colonel, you do get me. Coaching 1A football comes NO WHERE close to region 2-3AA. Now you could make the arguement that Lambert came from 1A, (someone from Oneida correct me if I'm wrong), but Lambert had plenty experience in 2-3AA when he left AC. How does it compare? I don't know what the future holds for AC but I do know this. AC beat Oak Ridge on several occasions. Farragut stopped scrimmaging AC around 2006 (?). McKamey came from the middle school to AC for one year.

Don't mistake what I'm saying about the kids that followed McKamey to Grace. All good football players.Had every right to do that if that's what they thought was the best move for them at the time. Free country, you know. But, 92D that's a discussion for a different thread.

Yes colonel, you do get me. Coaching 1A football comes NO WHERE close to region 2-3AA. Now you could make the arguement that Lambert came from 1A, (someone from Oneida correct me if I'm wrong), but Lambert had plenty experience in 2-3AA when he left AC. How does it compare? I don't know what the future holds for AC but I do know this. AC beat Oak Ridge on several occasions. Farragut stopped scrimmaging AC around 2006 (?). McKamey came from the middle school to AC for one year.

I agree 100%. I was just answering Colonel's question.

Oppressed, I agree in the differences in classifications (even recognizing specificly 2-3A). More team speed, team size, and depth. But winning coaches can't be over looked just because of the classification difference. Didn't Knoxville Halls give a single A coach out in the cow pastures named Larry Kerr a chance and he lead them to a state title several years afterward. I know that example is about 35 years old, but the size/speed difference that is relative today was relative back then as well, respectfully. It is a crap shoot who ever is brought in, my example to that is Stanton Stevens. Who would question the record he took (from 2-3A) to OR, but he couldn't continue the dynesty.

Now, stepping beyond this debate you and I have gotten into, I do not see McKamey ever leaving Grace (at least in the near future). That is as long as his kids get a private education with him there close by. He also no doubt makes a good living down there, probably more than at a public school. I wouldn't blame him.

What he did at Grace was to take the kids from Clinton that got tired of sitting behind Stone and Hazelhurst and had them join him in a school in a lower classification. Was that a true test of his "coaching ability"? Probably not. That was after his one year stint at AC and he was not invited back. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

McKamey didn't TAKE kids from Clinton, they left because of Shattuck..and don't knock 1A...Onieda was 1A and they could beat Clinton easily last year...give McKamey some credit for being a good coach, that's why kids followed him to Grace and they went on to become Region Champs and went far into the playoffs...

I'm interested in your thoughts on this. Are you referring to the ability to draw better athletes, the vast enrollment difference, or something else?

Not knocking the Mckamie guy at all...don't know him or his abilities. Just saying expectations at AC, sitting next to OR and Clinton, are much different than they are at Grace...as well as the level of competition. However, if you can coach you can coach and he has 'coached 'em up' pretty good at Grace!

McKamey didn't TAKE kids from Clinton, they left because of Shattuck..and don't knock 1A...Onieda was 1A and they could beat Clinton easily last year...give McKamey some credit for being a good coach, that's why kids followed him to Grace and they went on to become Region Champs and went far into the playoffs...

Give me a break!! Not to take anything away from a great Oneida team, but they would not have beaten Clinton. It's a different level of play. I think there are some 5A schools that Oneida could have beaten but not one that was as good as Clinton. I'm sure it would have been a good game for a while but Oneida was too one dimensional & would not have been able to contain the Clinton QB. They have classifications for a reason.

Now as for the middle school team beating Clinton, once again thats a completely different level. I believe once they hit high school Clinton would pick up more players from South Clinton & Claxton while Oneida would still have the same players. Not to mention that most of Oneida's players would play 1 or 2 other sports (because of it being a small school)& not committ to football for the entire 12 months of the year. At a school the size of Clinton a lot, not all, but a lot of the players would play football only & therefore get better by training for one specific sport year round.

I think that is where the difference takes place at a large school there are so many athletes that most committ to one sport the entire year & by specializing in one area become better than someone that plays 2 or 3 sports. I know this isn't always the case as there are some special athletes that can do anything.

Once again Oneida has a great team & a great tradition so I mean no disrespect & on some years yeah they could pull an upset. Not this past year though Clinton was good & would have won state if they were a single A team. Of course it would be unfair to play a school the size of Clinton in single A. Classifications for a reason.

Dude...Nobody is knocking 1A. The point is 1A IS NOT 2-3A. No, I think you are dreaming when you say Oneida could have beat Clinton...easily. Blame it on what you want with the Clinton kids leaving....Shattuck, recruited, (Oh, my bad...) I mean "talked into", etc. The fact still remains the kids left Clinton and "FOLLOWED" McKamey to Grace. Think of it this way....you're taking good (and I mean good) talent from Clinton (4A-larger school, larger talent pool)moving them down to 1A( smaller school, smaller talent pool). 1A is a whole different ballgame than 4A. Different speed, different pace. And please don't anyone be insulted by the observation just made comparing 1A to 4A. If you know football, you know what I mean. No disrespect meant to anyone. McKamey has not coached anywhere long enough to know how good a coach he really is. Sometimes when a coach is blessed with exceptional talent, well.....they don't have to coach. The players make him look good.

Dude...Nobody is knocking 1A. The point is 1A IS NOT 2-3A. No, I think you are dreaming when you say Oneida could have beat Clinton...easily. Blame it on what you want with the Clinton kids leaving....Shattuck, recruited, (Oh, my bad...) I mean "talked into", etc. The fact still remains the kids left Clinton and "FOLLOWED" McKamey to Grace. Think of it this way....you're taking good (and I mean good) talent from Clinton (4A-larger school, larger talent pool)moving them down to 1A( smaller school, smaller talent pool). 1A is a whole different ballgame than 4A. Different speed, different pace. And please don't anyone be insulted by the observation just made comparing 1A to 4A. If you know football, you know what I mean. No disrespect meant to anyone. McKamey has not coached anywhere long enough to know how good a coach he really is. Sometimes when a coach is blessed with exceptional talent, well.....they don't have to coach. The players make him look good.

McKamey is a good coach and with Lambert, Oneida would have beat Clinton for sure last year..may be a smaller school, but the players are just as good..