what team from the mid state produces the most college players?

potatolauncher

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Riverdale has had a lot of their players go on to college this year for example we have 4 SRs and 3 of them are going to play in college and last year we had 4 and 2 went on to college so we are getting kids that want to go to the next level

Over the last 10 yrs, its been Oakland by a landslide. The talent that has run through there has been amazing. For a small private school, Goodpasture has had alot of their players go on to become college players.

Over the last 10 yrs, its been Oakland by a landslide. The talent that has run through there has been amazing. For a small private school, Goodpasture has had alot of their players go on to become college players.

Oakland by a landslide?

Since when? Since 2000 it is not a landslide by any means

Lets just go from 2003 on for a small sample and lets go with Riverdale and Hendersonville in game #2 of Spring Fling in Memphis

http://www.tssaa.org/2002Champions/StateBa...ssAAA/game2.htm

For Riverdale:

Nicky Luper, RF - UT Martin

Wayne Kendrick, 2B - Single Season hit record holder at MTSU (100 hits, Bryce Brentz has 84 now with 5 games and the post season to go)

Alex Watson, C - MTSU

Clint Alexander, 3B - Tennessee Tech and Cumberland

Justin Humphrey, 1B - MTSU

Justin Jones, LF - MTSU

Jason Lenard, CF - Columbia State

Kyle Smith, P - Western Kentucky

Hendersonville had several kids play at the next level off that team as well

Later you get Chad Hunter and Will Skinner from Riverdale going to Walters

Chason Choate and Trice Powers to Tennessee Tech

Coty Wood (who just set MTSU single-season save record) to Walters and MTSU

We have Ben Jones and Chase Johnson down at Motlow and Jeff Lanning and Austin Hurt at Dyersburg.

I know I am leaving some out and I know Oakland has had their share from Doug Birkhoffer, Nathan Hines, Tyler Burnett, Steven Watson and Brett Wilson at MTSU and Tennyson Dodd at Belmont(?) and PJ Polk at UT and Drew Fann at Vandy and ??? but definely no landslide - agreed

Oakland by a landslide?

Since when? Since 2000 it is not a landslide by any means

Lets just go from 2003 on for a small sample and lets go with Riverdale and Hendersonville in game #2 of Spring Fling in Memphis

http://www.tssaa.org/2002Champions/StateBa...ssAAA/game2.htm

For Riverdale:

Nicky Luper, RF - UT Martin

Wayne Kendrick, 2B - Single Season hit record holder at MTSU (100 hits, Bryce Brentz has 84 now with 5 games and the post season to go)

Alex Watson, C - MTSU

Clint Alexander, 3B - Tennessee Tech and Cumberland

Justin Humphrey, 1B - MTSU

Justin Jones, LF - MTSU

Jason Lenard, CF - Columbia State

Kyle Smith, P - Western Kentucky

Hendersonville had several kids play at the next level off that team as well

Later you get Chad Hunter and Will Skinner from Riverdale going to Walters

Chason Choate and Trice Powers to Tennessee Tech

Coty Wood (who just set MTSU single-season save record) to Walters and MTSU

We have Ben Jones and Chase Johnson down at Motlow and Jeff Lanning and Austin Hurt at Dyersburg.

I know I am leaving some out and I know Oakland has had their share from Doug Birkhoffer, Nathan Hines, Tyler Burnett, Steven Watson and Brett Wilson at MTSU and Tennyson Dodd at Belmont(?) and PJ Polk at UT and Drew Fann at Vandy and ??? but definely no landslide - agreed

DL, I understand the rivalry between Riverdale and Oakland. And I respect the rise in the level of the Riverdale program now where it is on par, at least, with any in the state. However I said "the last ten years". The 1999 Oakland team was the best Ive seen in Tennessee in many years. They had at least 8 players drafted off that team. About 10 went on to play college ball off that team alone, close to all signed by D1 schools, like Miss St, Vandy, Tennessee, MTSU, Ga. Tech. Kids who couldnt start for that high school team went on to college to start. Amazing!

They backed it up again with another state championship the next season and another group went on to play college ball in years immediately following the back to back state championships. Oakland has consistently had a top level program although no state championships in recent years.

Again, the Riverdale program has come a long way since 1999 and today is among the best around but I'll still say 'over the last 10 years, its Oakland by a landslide"

DL, I understand the rivalry between Riverdale and Oakland. And I respect the rise in the level of the Riverdale program now where it is on par, at least, with any in the state. However I said "the last ten years". The 1999 Oakland team was the best Ive seen in Tennessee in many years. They had at least 8 players drafted off that team. About 10 went on to play college ball off that team alone, close to all signed by D1 schools, like Miss St, Vandy, Tennessee, MTSU, Ga. Tech. Kids who couldnt start for that high school team went on to college to start. Amazing!

They backed it up again with another state championship the next season and another group went on to play college ball in years immediately following the back to back state championships. Oakland has consistently had a top level program although no state championships in recent years.

Again, the Riverdale program has come a long way since 1999 and today is among the best around but I'll still say 'over the last 10 years, its Oakland by a landslide"

I would have to agree with this post....Oakland has more than Riverdale by a landslide....from 1994 to 2009, I can think of at least 50 kids that have left Oakland and played college ball at some level or played minor league ball at some level.

Scotter James Steve Kline

Joe McHenry Jeremy Slayden

Aaron Olita Tommy Smith

Ryan Boyer Jake Birkofer

Kyle Thomas John Peterson

Tj Allen Nick Jones

Brennan King Caleb Barrett

Casey Rauchenberger Dougie Birkofer

Jerry Knox Nathan Hines

John Williams Brett Wilson

Jason Sharber Tyler Burnett

Patrick Hicklen PJ Polk

Chuck Akers T. Dodd

That's just the 26 I thought of right away, but there are MANY more

Oakland=Baseball Factory

Just to be clear, Oakland and Riverdale have done a remarkable job producing college level baseball players for a long time. Both schools have sent players to numerous Division 1 schools, juco, Naia, etc....that is a credit to the players and coaches that have worked at those schools.

Coach Peterson at MTSU has made it a point to recruit Murfreesboro since we have some of the best talent in the state.

22 Oakland-Riverdale players have played for Coach Peterson in the last 10 years

Oakland (13 players)

Kyle Thomas

Chuck Akers

John Williams

Stevie Kline

Jerry Knox

Nick Jones

Brad Todd

Dougie Birkofer

Brad Robinson

Nathan Hines* (currently playing)

Steven Watson* (currently playing)