Halls High School

My two cents:

- After watching the spring game, #3 (Gibson) still seems to be the real deal. Last years almost ten yards per carry and TD every 7.5 times he touched the ball will set the stage for this years running game. By far the fastest of the running backs. Homerun threat anywhere on the field.

- #6 O'Laughlin seems improved (last year 6 yards per carry, TD every 23 times he touched the ball), but still needs to learn how to run north and south instead of east to west. Speaking of north to south runners, how about the white teams #7 Long? He will push O'Laughlin for playing time, seems like a throw back to the hard nosed, turn it upfield runners of the old days. I was impressed with this kid. I thought he and Gibson looked good together, blocking and running. Also liked the white teams fullback, Woods I think. Someone told me the starting front four where all on the red team. If so, these RBs really looked good.

- Line will be OK. McFalls has gotten noticiably bigger. This group needs to hit the wieghts hard this summer, or it will be a tough year on this group. I believe they will.

- Excited about the pasing league. Timing is crucial for the passing game, which could have been the difference between 4-6 last year or 8-2. Look for Gresham and Bright to have good years at reciever if given a chance.

- This years team is much faster and more athletic than last years. Defensive team speed will be much faster, as last years was one of the slowest I've seen. Offense will have to pass more, which will be a good thing.

- Overall observation, still too many question marks to make a prediction on next year. Easier schedule should help (no more Bearden, West, Maryville). Wins should come aaginst Hardin Valley, Cambell County, and Karns.( Powell, Central, Sevier County, Webb, and Anderson County are all winnable, but I'd list these as toss ups). Clinton is the toghest challenge, and Oak Ridge should be better than last year. My guess is best case 8-2, worst case 3-7, probably 7-3 or 6-4 and back into the playoffs.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My two cents:

- After watching the spring game, #3 (Gibson) still seems to be the real deal. Last years almost ten yards per carry and TD every 7.5 times he touched the ball will set the stage for this years running game. By far the fastest of the running backs. Homerun threat anywhere on the field.

- #6 O'Laughlin seems improved (last year 6 yards per carry, TD every 23 times he touched the ball), but still needs to learn how to run north and south instead of east to west. Speaking of north to south runners, how about the white teams #7 Long? He will push O'Laughlin for playing time, seems like a throw back to the hard nosed, turn it upfield runners of the old days. I was impressed with this kid. I thought he and Gibson looked good together, blocking and running. Also liked the white teams fullback, Woods I think. Someone told me the starting front four where all on the red team. If so, these RBs really looked good.

- Line will be OK. McFalls has gotten noticiably bigger. This group needs to hit the wieghts hard this summer, or it will be a tough year on this group. I believe they will.

- Excited about the pasing league. Timing is crucial for the passing game, which could have been the difference between 4-6 last year or 8-2. Look for Gresham and Bright to have good years at reciever if given a chance.

- This years team is much faster and more athletic than last years. Defensive team speed will be much faster, as last years was one of the slowest I've seen. Offense will have to pass more, which will be a good thing.

- Overall observation, still too many question marks to make a prediction on next year. Easier schedule should help (no more Bearden, West, Maryville). Wins should come aaginst Hardin Valley, Cambell County, and Karns.( Powell, Central, Sevier County, Webb, and Anderson County are all winnable, but I'd list these as toss ups). Clinton is the toghest challenge, and Oak Ridge should be better than last year. My guess is best case 8-2, worst case 3-7, probably 7-3 or 6-4 and back into the playoffs.

Aug 21st.....Week Zero! Clinton @ Halls......sounds like a great game to kick the season off with!

Halls definitely has a challenging schedule this season (as does the majority of the teams in this district). Hardin Valley is a total unknown, and I don't really know how competitive they will be this season. The remaining 9 games could all go either way, considering how improved Campbell County was last season and the number of close games Karns had last year. I think this entire district is wide open, despite the talent that we'll see at Clinton this year. Clinton must avoid anointing themselves as the team to beat - "great" expectations can really hurt a team, especially when things start to go south.

Do you really think Halls will WIN at HV, CC, Karns, Powell, Central, Sevier County, Web and Anderson County? I would love to hear why there is so much optimism. Heck, throw in Clinton and Oak Ridge and you will have a clean sweep.

FBUBET, I didn't read it that way at all. I thought Ironman said 3 games were more likely wins and then five games were toss-ups. The post said 3-7 was possible. That does not reak of optimism.

I think HV is an unknown. They might be better than a first year varsity team. Some of their sports have done well in their first year and some have struggled. I expect Karns and C.C. both to be tough. They are both 6A schools that have given pretty good teams great games in the last couple of years. I think Halls will have to fight hard for any wins they get. I don't see the Halls reserves getting much playing time due to big safe leads this year.

Ironman did call this an easier schedule but I am not so sure about that. Powell, Central, Seveir County and Clinton are still on the schedule and they are all very good teams. The strongest teams gone are Maryville, Bearden and West. They are replaced by Oak Ridge, Webb and Anderson County, which are always very tough. Still, that might be slightly easier, but not by much. On the other hand, gone also are three of the weaker teams off of last year's schedule. I would say that HV, CC, and Karns are equal to or slightly better than Gibbs, LC and SD most of the time. Top to bottom, this schedule may be tougher.

What do you all think?

If I may interlope on your thread: I think you guys are spot on. Powell is in the same boat Halls is with the potential of a really good season (8-2, 7-3) or one exactly the opposite. I think Halls, Central, Powell, Anderson County, Campbell County and Karns all look fairly even going into the season. I've grown up with Oak Ridge being a powerhouse so I elevate them a bit and Clinton does appear to be loaded, so I think the Dragons are the team to beat. Outside of Clinton because of talent and Oak Ridge because of history and a new coach coming off a state title, I have a hard time picking which teams from this district will make the playoffs. I will now float back down Beaver Creek.

Halls definitely has a challenging schedule this season (as does the majority of the teams in this district). Hardin Valley is a total unknown, and I don't really know how competitive they will be this season. The remaining 9 games could all go either way, considering how improved Campbell County was last season and the number of close games Karns had last year. I think this entire district is wide open, despite the talent that we'll see at Clinton this year. Clinton must avoid anointing themselves as the team to beat - "great" expectations can really hurt a team, especially when things start to go south.

If i remember correctly, Halls had high expectations last season also, but things didnt go the way they expected. So i hope Clinton doesnt let all this talk about them being the team to beat go to their heads. You still have to show up and play the game....anything can happen on game night!

If i remember correctly, Halls had high expectations last season also, but things didnt go the way they expected. So i hope Clinton doesnt let all this talk about them being the team to beat go to their heads. You still have to show up and play the game....anything can happen on game night!

What could possibly happen?? With all of that talent, if clinton doesn't win a state title, they should find a whole new staff. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

What could possibly happen?? With all of that talent, if clinton doesn't win a state title, they should find a whole new staff. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

LOL....I have heard alot of people talking about the pressure on Shattuck this year to have a very good season or he might not be there much longer. Personally, i dont have a problem with our coaching staff, but if we cant finish at least 8-2 or better with the talent we have coming back......maybe it should be blamed on the coaching staff. I think there is alot more than just winning games when it comes to rebuilding a program! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />