Can South get the DB monkey off their backs?

WOW! lots of early talk there statman. I remember a certain guy named JPAT55 that talked a big game in June 01... he went on a suicide watch when D-B spanked that hind end at their house. But I will give you this one, this might just be your year to back it up. I think we have the premier running back in the area again, but I dont know if we have the line(offense or defense) or the secondary to beat you guys. Its bound to happen sooner or later...just ask Greenville....havent heard from them since. I guess we'll see who lights a ceegar, and who smokes a White Owl in a couple of months. lol ! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

If I've been beat I'll stand and take it...not run and hide like some. You don't have to give me this one 'cause we will take it. And The premier RB in the area graduated. You might have a shot at it this year but that is yet to be seen. I won't wait until the day after to say, "I knew we would win." I'll say it now and let everyone pile it on me. If we lose good for you. If we win, you will know where you heard it. When in doubt...

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree on money and them not wanting South's football players, swimmers, softball players..etc. Not enough unis. They want the numbers and South's higher test scoring students................and they'll keep trying to get them whether they like it or not.

But, South looses 150-200 students, they are then Central.....no offense kitties. /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

Do you know what Central's numbers were up to in 1979?

If I've been beat I'll stand and take it...not run and hide like some. You don't have to give me this one 'cause we will take it. And The premier RB in the area graduated. You might have a shot at it this year but that is yet to be seen. I won't wait until the day after to say, "I knew we would win." I'll say it now and let everyone pile it on me. If we lose good for you. If we win, you will know where you heard it. When in doubt...

we love to hear when yall start talkin please by all means keep it up because that just motivates our boys

and ya know what tell the players to start makin quotes in the paper our boys will just cut out the quote and hang it in the locker room for good ole week six if yall really think you can beat Dobyns Bennett start talkin now and we will see what happens on gameday

I was told that when South opened it took 1/3 of Centrals population.

The Colonial Heights kids made up 40-50% of the student body at Central. Many upperclassmen chose to remain at Central through the remainder of their high school days. By the end of 1982 I would guess South had taken much more than 1/3 of Central's enrollment. Volman could confirm this I believe. I do know that the planning for Sullivan South was instrumental in Coach T. McFerrin's decision to return to Atlanta to resume his high school football coaching career. He believed both schools would flounder in athletics at the smaller sizes. He, along with John Cropp at Tn. High, were two of the better high school coaches of all time in NET.

The Colonial Heights kids made up 40-50% of the student body at Central. Many upperclassmen chose to remain at Central through the remainder of their high school days. By the end of 1982 I would guess South had taken much more than 1/3 of Central's enrollment. Volman could confirm this I believe. I do know that the planning for Sullivan South was instrumental in Coach T. McFerrin's decision to return to Atlanta to resume his high school football coaching career. He believed both schools would flounder in athletics at the smaller sizes. He, along with John Cropp at Tn. High, were two of the better high school coaches of all time in NET.

I had not thought about Coach McFerrin in years. How did his career go after he went back to Georgia? Is he still coaching? I think one of his biggest games at Central was when he knocked off DB in I think 1975, and went on to win the Big 9 Conference with an undefeated record. But if memory serves me correctly, they got drilled in the first round of the state playoffs.

I had not thought about Coach McFerrin in years. How did his career go after he went back to Georgia? Is he still coaching? I think one of his biggest games at Central was when he knocked off DB in I think 1975, and went on to win the Big 9 Conference with an undefeated record. But if memory serves me correctly, they got drilled in the first round of the state playoffs.

Palin, I was thinking that was in 1979. Am I wrong. Also, I believe Kaleb Kitzmiller's Father, Randy Kitzmiller, was Centrals workhorse RB that year. Anyone can confirm that?

Palin, I was thinking that was in 1979. Am I wrong. Also, I believe Kaleb Kitzmiller's Father, Randy Kitzmiller, was Centrals workhorse RB that year. Anyone can confirm that?

You are correct. Kitzmiller at RB,Joey Holt at QB, and Spencer Sandidge's dad, David was a standout DB/WR on that team. Oak Ridge 35- Central 0. Slow start and poor field position led to a Wildcat blow-out in the Atomic City. In those days a 1st round game was the quarterfinals of the top division AAA. That game was the fall of '75.

T. McFerrin had a very successful career in Atlanta and was twice called out of retirement to successfully resurrect floundering programs taking both to state play-offs in a very short time. I saw him and his charismatic side-kick, Coach Ray Allen ,when they were honored at Central with the '75 team on the 30th anniversary 4 years ago. Both were very energetic,passionate about the football history they helped create, and gave one the impression they could coach the Cougars to victory that night! No easy task as we all know. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

You are correct. Kitzmiller at RB,Joey Holt at QB, and Spencer Sandidge's dad, David was a standout DB/WR on that team. Oak Ridge 35- Central 0. Slow start and poor field position led to a Wildcat blow-out in the Atomic City. In those days a 1st round game was the quarterfinals of the top division AAA. That game was the fall of '75.

T. McFerrin had a very successful career in Atlanta and was twice called out of retirement to successfully resurrect floundering programs taking both to state play-offs in a very short time. I saw him and his charismatic side-kick, Coach Ray Allen ,when they were honored at Central with the '75 team on the 30th anniversary 4 years ago. Both were very energetic,passionate about the football history they helped create, and gave one the impression they could coach the Cougars to victory that night! No easy task as we all know. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Thanks for the info Crawdad. As best I remember Joey Holt was probably the best quarterback to play in the Big 9 during the 70's. Man that guy could execute the option play to perfection. But I don't think he was recruited by any big name colleges. I never could understand why because he was such an outstanding athlete. That really brings back memories.

Thanks for the info Crawdad. As best I remember Joey Holt was probably the best quarterback to play in the Big 9 during the 70's. Man that guy could execute the option play to perfection. But I don't think he was recruited by any big name colleges. I never could understand why because he was such an outstanding athlete. That really brings back memories.

He was special and very proficient with McFerrin's veer option as you mentioned. He only started his SR. year and as you know you need some momentum prior to that to break into the recruiting circles. He played 1 year at Itawamba Community College in Mississippi to the best of my memory. As good as he was ,I think it would be a stretch to say he was better than Tennessee High's David Bibee during the 70's. Bibee was the Viking QB for state championship runs in 71 and72 I believe. He was one of the best,throwing to TE Greg Jones and WR Larry Silcox while running the option and giving to FB George Heath or TB Gil Kyle who signed with Tennessee, ETSU, Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech respectively. Those were storybook seasons in the castle!

He was special and very proficient with McFerrin's veer option as you mentioned. He only started his SR. year and as you know you need some momentum prior to that to break into the recruiting circles. He played 1 year at Itawamba Community College in Mississippi to the best of my memory. As good as he was ,I think it would be a stretch to say he was better than Tennessee High's David Bibee during the 70's. Bibee was the Viking QB for state championship runs in 71 and72 I believe. He was one of the best,throwing to TE Greg Jones and WR Larry Silcox while running the option and giving to FB George Heath or TB Gil Kyle who signed with Tennessee, ETSU, Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech respectively. Those were storybook seasons in the castle!

I know a guy from Ketron by the name of J Bowen who went to UT on scholly never got much p/t except on the Meat Squad. Finally getting injured and Married to My Sister. Classic Years for me as a Kid Chillin on the sidelines of Neyland, Drinking Salt Water out of the Pump, Watching Condridge work his magic & S Morgan haulin the mail on the fly.If my memory serves me correctly Didn't Bibee have wreck in K-town down on Neyland Dr near the Bridge???

GBO Those were some good years but lean ones for B Battle & Big Orange