Can South get the DB monkey off their backs?

DB was 30 points better than McMinn Co. last year, and they would have beaten them by 30 if the coaching staff would of come out of the restroom at halftime. Its a shame the players (all of them) had to experence that after working so hard all season.

Coaches don't miss tackles. Was the Tribe not ahead until the very end against McMinn? Parents and fans need to understand accountability for winning or losing begins with the PLAYERS. D-B folks need to quit blaming your EXCELLENT coaching staff and South fans need to quit blaming the referees. They are easy, lame excuses. Both teams lost tough games we should have won but that's why you play the games. Tackle a guy at the end or make a block on a 20 yard FG attempt and both teams win. Thats not coaching. So stop crying. Let's move on and bring a couple of gold balls back to Kingsport regardless of who wins at Pactolous in October! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coaches don't miss tackles. Was the Tribe not ahead until the very end against McMinn? Parents and fans need to understand accountability for winning or losing begins with the PLAYERS. D-B folks need to quit blaming your EXCELLENT coaching staff and South fans need to quit blaming the referees. They are easy, lame excuses. Both teams lost tough games we should have won but that's why you play the games. Tackle a guy at the end or make a block on a 20 yard FG attempt and both teams win. Thats not coaching. So stop crying. Let's move on and bring a couple of gold balls back to Kingsport regardless of who wins at Pactolous in October! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

My reason for bringing it up (over and over again) is that maybe, just maybe the coaching staff will read it enough times and maybe, just maybe will change their way of thinking come playoff time. Everybody that was at that game knows that in the first half DB built a comfortable lead, then sat on it the entire second half. The defense was on the field for most of the second half and they were wore out at the end of the game. IT WAS THE COACHES FAULT.

If DB was playing McMinn a week after the loss last year,I still wouldn't have took McMinn and three tochdowns.It was just a sad deal nomatter who you blame,unless you were on the other side.I'm from Greeneville and played for a hall of fame coach, but he never got to a state final at Greeneville.Matter of fact,how many coaches out of ten ever get there during their career. Clark has been to the the semi's three times and lost two of those to the state champs.Is he perfect ? NO ! and I'm not shy in pointing out things that I disagree with.Graham Clark will be the coach this year and many of our son's will be his players.The best thing as a dad that I can do right now is help my son with the weights and make sure he lights a fire under as many players as he can.It would be a much easier deal for me to just get a fake name and go negitive, but that wouldn't help this years team win a single game.I can't see the future,and don't no if this will be GC's best job of coaching or if this team will have luck like UT had in 1998.Some have talked about the teams we play out of conference .I don't think we could have got many harder games then the first two and Sevier county.It would be nice to play Maryville ,Alcoa and Oakland to see how far we need to go,but I think we got all we want with the three we have on the schedule. Don't forget that SH has allways had talent and now they may have all their ducks in a row.Tennessee High won back to back state championships in the early seventies against the states best and were voted national Champs in 1972.This years team has fine talent that I've seen for years.South has very good players and a coach that has put that program on the map.Folks,that makes six games against teams that are good and have circled DB as {one of},if not the team they would most like to beat this year.Now,I don't know if the boys from Boone and the other schools have noticed they play Dobyns-Bennett or not,but it probably wouldn't mean to much to them either.Right now,I would take getting into the playoffs and getting better as the year goes along,much like two years ago.Roll Tribe

You are correct, coaches don't miss tackles. The problem is the coaches shouldnt put kid's in the position of failure. That Mcminn County game was a complete blow out in the first half. The DB fans in my section at J Fred got up at halftime and looked around and said, " This game is over, let's go to Cheddars" And one by one the mass exidous began. What happened next was rediculous. I even heard coach Clark's halftime speech say, "well it looks like we are going to be able to get everbody in the game tonight. Wow! Does that ###### anybody else off? It sure did me. Is this the leadership on the football field we need? This is a lack of a killer instinct. We will never win the big one without it. Also, we have gotten away from the weight training program like it used to be in the 80's and 90's. Something has got to change. I will continue to follow the Indians every Friday both home and away but something's gotta give eventually. I hope Wagner gets to start calling some plays this year to prime him for the future. We need some new blood and fast.

You are correct, coaches don't miss tackles. The problem is the coaches shouldnt put kid's in the position of failure. That Mcminn County game was a complete blow out in the first half. The DB fans in my section at J Fred got up at halftime and looked around and said, " This game is over, let's go to Cheddars" And one by one the mass exidous began. What happened next was rediculous. I even heard coach Clark's halftime speech say, "well it looks like we are going to be able to get everbody in the game tonight. Wow! Does that ###### anybody else off? It sure did me. Is this the leadership on the football field we need? This is a lack of a killer instinct. We will never win the big one without it. Also, we have gotten away from the weight training program like it used to be in the 80's and 90's. Something has got to change. I will continue to follow the Indians every Friday both home and away but something's gotta give eventually. I hope Wagner gets to start calling some plays this year to prime him for the future. We need some new blood and fast.

Sounds to me like the fans,coaches, and players felt the game was won. If fans leave in mass exodus what message does that send to the players? The players have got to be the ones to finish it up. McMinn didn't think it was over apparently. South was better than Greenville but somehow Greeneville made the plays in OT and South didn't. Maybe McMinn was just better in the 2nd half. It might have been a blessing for Science Hill to make that play to beat D-B at the end instead of Steele saving the day. Maybe then the team would have put McMinn away and avoided another comeback by an opponent. Everyone wants to blame the coaches because its so easy. No parents want to say our kids got beat.

i would like to say to btaylor mom: you and your husband are a class act and best i remember of bobby at kbc he was also. i have a son starting for db and a nephew that starts for south. so, i'm excited for this game and hope both play a great game. as for this years db team, they will surprise. the comraderie is better and most players are already bustin' their butts. if you remember this time last year were worried about the experience of the '08 squad (only 1 returning lineman). i'm ready to play!!! can anyone save me a seat at the south game??

Sounds to me like the fans,coaches, and players felt the game was won. If fans leave in mass exodus what message does that send to the players? The players have got to be the ones to finish it up. McMinn didn't think it was over apparently. South was better than Greenville but somehow Greeneville made the plays in OT and South didn't. Maybe McMinn was just better in the 2nd half. It might have been a blessing for Science Hill to make that play to beat D-B at the end instead of Steele saving the day. Maybe then the team would have put McMinn away and avoided another comeback by an opponent. Everyone wants to blame the coaches because its so easy. No parents want to say our kids got beat.

The worst thing that could happen to us year after year is to go undefeated going into the playoffs. A team needs to be humbled along the way to keep them hungry. I have enjoyed the DB and Oak Ridge rivalry for a long time but i always new if we won in regular season the playoff game would be different. And it usually was. I don't have a kid playing and i can say our coaches have gotten us beat for several years now. I don't know who you pull for South or who but i've seen every game for several years and i know what has gotten us beat and it has not been the kids. Maybe that's what happens at South but not at DB. I agree with you that South dominated the game against Greenville because i went to that game also. It seems like year after year we have an early out and i have to go to death valley to keep watching football. Dude i'm telling you , if we had Stacey Carter at DB we would be dangerous. One thing i've noticed about Carter is that he will steal succesful plays from teams he plays and makes them apart of his offense. That is great coaching. I can think of one play that he took from the Maryville play book which is a pass play. I have seen Maryville a few times and that one pass play has been a TD everytime. I believe SS ran that play last year against Morr. and it was also a score. That is the coaching i think we need at DB.

i would like to say to btaylor mom: you and your husband are a class act and best i remember of bobby at kbc he was also. i have a son starting for db and a nephew that starts for south. so, i'm excited for this game and hope both play a great game. as for this years db team, they will surprise. the comraderie is better and most players are already bustin' their butts. if you remember this time last year were worried about the experience of the '08 squad (only 1 returning lineman). i'm ready to play!!! can anyone save me a seat at the south game??

We only have two returning starters on the line this year,but they are the real deal.Patrick is{ big and mean }and if he plays center,that will help both sides.Cody Fuller is the overall strongest man on the team at left guard and does a great job.Add in Cory {who looks very good this year} and the other guys,and you can see why I told Chris he should sleep well.It will all play off of Roop and the year he has in making the offense go,and I hope it is wide open so us defensive watchers can rest easy if we give up a few points.Roll Tribe

DB was 30 points better than McMinn Co. last year, and they would have beaten them by 30 if the coaching staff would of come out of the restroom at halftime. Its a shame the players (all of them) had to experence that after working so hard all season.

I don't think it was because the staff didn't come out of the restroom at halftime. I think the coaching staff was guilty of the same thing I have witnessed at every level from high school to pro. They came out with the strategy of playing not to lose instead of playing to win. Prevent defense almost never works. Think of how many times we saw Phillip Fulmer try that strategy only to see defeat snatched from the hands of victory. Think of how many times you have seen basketball teams get a big lead and try to sit on it, only to get beaten in a dramatic finish. Coaches at every level and every sport seem to get suckered into it and it's hard to understand why. Why can't they learn from it? It backfires more than it succeeds.

I don't think it was because the staff didn't come out of the restroom at halftime. I think the coaching staff was guilty of the same thing I have witnessed at every level from high school to pro. They came out with the strategy of playing not to lose instead of playing to win. Prevent defense almost never works. Think of how many times we saw Phillip Fulmer try that strategy only to see defeat snatched from the hands of victory. Think of how many times you have seen basketball teams get a big lead and try to sit on it, only to get beaten in a dramatic finish. Coaches at every level and every sport seem to get suckered into it and it's hard to understand why. Why can't they learn from it? It backfires more than it succeeds.

I feel there is much truth to this line of thinking. Colonial Heights Middle School's girls basketball coach takes a lot of heat for thinking this way. She's up by 30 and is still gun running and full court pressing. Her expalnation is that she got beat once after being up by 30 and will never let it happen again. I have heard much flak come to her for this position...both from parents and fellow coaches. As well, Stacy took much heat last year for running up the score. Much of that heat came from DB fans on DB and South boards. Even though the All Staters by and large didn't play after halftime Stacy still took heat. Had he left #15, #4, #11, #72,and #50 in after halftime their numbers would have been competitive for national records instead of impressive local records. In trying to be gracious Clark lost a key game.

In the past couple of years South has been down by as much as 28 points to Elizabethton and 21 to both MoEast and MoWest only to comeback and win by 20-30 points. I did not see the McMinn County game or do any research on their team. Could it be that they were actually good? Was the common consensus among DB fans that McMinn was an inferior club to the Indians? How bad did they lose in the 2nd round?

I feel there is much truth to this line of thinking. Colonial Heights Middle School's girls basketball coach takes a lot of heat for thinking this way. She's up by 30 and is still gun running and full court pressing. Her expalnation is that she got beat once after being up by 30 and will never let it happen again. I have heard much flak come to her for this position...both from parents and fellow coaches. As well, Stacy took much heat last year for running up the score. Much of that heat came from DB fans on DB and South boards. Even though the All Staters by and large didn't play after halftime Stacy still took heat. Had he left #15, #4, #11, #72,and #50 in after halftime their numbers would have been competitive for national records instead of impressive local records. In trying to be gracious Clark lost a key game.

In the past couple of years South has been down by as much as 28 points to Elizabethton and 21 to both MoEast and MoWest only to comeback and win by 20-30 points. I did not see the McMinn County game or do any research on their team. Could it be that they were actually good? Was the common consensus among DB fans that McMinn was an inferior club to the Indians? How bad did they lose in the 2nd round?

Speaking of great comebacks, Comp, did you happen to see the 2004 game between East and South?

I think they lost by about 14 points, but that was to a loaded Faragut Admiral team. I watched the game from start to finish. DB had far more speed and better athletes at nearly all positions as was evident in the first half. I truly believe the coaching staff thought the game was over at halftime and the team bought into it hook, line, and sinker. They thought there was no way McMinn could come back and outscore them in the second half, especially in the rain. To be frank, I didn't think it was possible either. But give the McMinn coaches and players credit for their "never say die" mentality. I do think you may be on to something about GC. Graham is by nature a very gracious gentleman. Unfortunately sometimes nice guys do finish last.