Can South get the DB monkey off their backs?

He was special and very proficient with McFerrin's veer option as you mentioned. He only started his SR. year and as you know you need some momentum prior to that to break into the recruiting circles. He played 1 year at Itawamba Community College in Mississippi to the best of my memory. As good as he was ,I think it would be a stretch to say he was better than Tennessee High's David Bibee during the 70's. Bibee was the Viking QB for state championship runs in 71 and72 I believe. He was one of the best,throwing to TE Greg Jones and WR Larry Silcox while running the option and giving to FB George Heath or TB Gil Kyle who signed with Tennessee, ETSU, Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech respectively. Those were storybook seasons in the castle!

You're probably right about Bibee, but unfortunately I was too young to remember him.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're probably right about Bibee, but unfortunately I was too young to remember him.

Bibee, Heath, Silcox, Kile, and Jones were a revered bunch. Their coach was revered also. Not just because they won back to back uncontested state titles but because they were good. I only got to scrimmage them...they made even Gate City look like boys. And in the early 70's Harry Frye's Gate City boys were phenomonal. I remember the starters running wind sprints after the 2's took over. They ran on the oposite end of the field from the action and they ran until the 2's gave way to the 3's and then the 2's ran. My teammates couldn't believe it. We couldn't walk after the scrimmage we got pounded so hard much less run wind sprints for 45. As good as Bibee was and yes he may compare to Curt but a little known QB from Ketron's '74 class was probably better than both of them. They called him Oz. Oh yeah...some are remembering! Osborne...I think it was David Osborne...it's been too long ago, but not so long that I don't remember how awsome he was. Surely someone from that vintage of Ketron football can tell his story. I remember he almost made it to the NFL. If I recall he was 6'4" and about 240. They ran the triple option and he could throw it 70 yards in the air. On the dive I could touch his hand (playing nose) as he would pull it out of the RB's pocket and follow up the hole. No body could stop this guy. When all the talk about Curt being the best since Spurrier was going around I think everyone forgot about Oz. Curt was probably the all around better athlete than Oz but he was just a click behind. But as far as running the option...he was better than Bibee. Bibee just had extreme talent all around him. Oz was a bad boy from Bloomingdale and that was his downfall...or maybe his claim to fame. I think he actually made an NFL team but didn't last long due to lifestyle. Probably no one from that era from Ketron is on here. Maybe Joey Bowen or Robbie Wilhelm...I'm trying to think of who has children playing ball curently. But Chris Morelock who was a scholarship athlete from Sullivan will definately remember the "Oz". How about it Chris...was he better than Bibee and Curt? I doubt Volman played against the "Oz" but maybe did in his Junior year. Chime in Volman. Sorry to give your age your Highness! /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

Bibee, Heath, Silcox, Kile, and Jones were a revered bunch. Their coach was revered also. Not just because they won back to back uncontested state titles but because they were good. I only got to scrimmage them...they made even Gate City look like boys. And in the early 70's Harry Frye's Gate City boys were phenomonal. I remember the starters running wind sprints after the 2's took over. They ran on the oposite end of the field from the action and they ran until the 2's gave way to the 3's and then the 2's ran. My teammates couldn't believe it. We couldn't walk after the scrimmage we got pounded so hard much less run wind sprints for 45. As good as Bibee was and yes he may compare to Curt but a little known QB from Ketron's '74 class was probably better than both of them. They called him Oz. Oh yeah...some are remembering! Osborne...I think it was David Osborne...it's been too long ago, but not so long that I don't remember how awsome he was. Surely someone from that vintage of Ketron football can tell his story. I remember he almost made it to the NFL. If I recall he was 6'4" and about 240. They ran the triple option and he could throw it 70 yards in the air. On the dive I could touch his hand (playing nose) as he would pull it out of the RB's pocket and follow up the hole. No body could stop this guy. When all the talk about Curt being the best since Spurrier was going around I think everyone forgot about Oz. Curt was probably the all around better athlete than Oz but he was just a click behind. But as far as running the option...he was better than Bibee. Bibee just had extreme talent all around him. Oz was a bad boy from Bloomingdale and that was his downfall...or maybe his claim to fame. I think he actually made an NFL team but didn't last long due to lifestyle. Probably no one from that era from Ketron is on here. Maybe Joey Bowen or Robbie Wilhelm...I'm trying to think of who has children playing ball curently. But Chris Morelock who was a scholarship athlete from Sullivan will definately remember the "Oz". How about it Chris...was he better than Bibee and Curt? I doubt Volman played against the "Oz" but maybe did in his Junior year. Chime in Volman. Sorry to give your age your Highness! /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

Rick Osborne. He lives in Mt. Juliet now. An excellent player but not in the same league with Phillips or Bibee IMHO. Much slower.

Rick was a good one. He graduated in '74. Knew him but never played against him. But, what I did see of him, he was no Curt. They had a good little RB too then that reminded me a little of #15 named Freddie Hicks. Got to see them play Gate City in '73 I think it was. Thanks Comp for making me feel old! /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

The Mom with the most OM reporting

Day 3 of Hard Core 8 AM YOGA workouts with the REBS... I detect STEALTH WARRIORS with fine tuned focus, core strength, & balance busting out for the fall season! YOGA Day #4 tomorrow on the field--- I'll give some homework for the weekend, then we'll start back on Monday through Thursday 8:00 am. Parents are welcome to join us!

If the effort I see in YOGA reflects the season ahead, just give us the state and save time. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

Hey.....Isn't it about time for "Judo Jaw" to chime in ? /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

I beginning to think you actually like me, Waco....stalkin' the T for me to kick in and all. I responded to your fear of conflict on the South Rebels thread- and the invitation still stands, my sweet. Try not to screw this up with your smart mouth and mindless keyboard.

The Mom with the most OM reporting

Day 3 of Hard Core 8 AM YOGA workouts with the REBS... I detect STEALTH WARRIORS with fine tuned focus, core strength, & balance busting out for the fall season! YOGA Day #4 tomorrow on the field--- I'll give some homework for the weekend, then we'll start back on Monday through Thursday 8:00 am. Parents are welcome to join us!

If the effort I see in YOGA reflects the season ahead, just give us the state and save time. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

/laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />