What REALLY is the difference between D I & DII?

Private schools can take any kid from any area thats close enough to commute to their campus. All of these are benefits that public schools do not enjoy.

Your above statement has more leaks in it than the Titanic. You fail to mention the public schools and systems that have open zoning or even allow kids who live in another county to go to school and play for them as long as a parent has a job at that particular school.

Right now in Jackson, Freshman that is 40th(+) on waiting list /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> is practicing on a Magnet School team and has been told that they have already made team and not to worry, they would get into the school. There's another "recruiting war" won by the magnets...same kid has applied to private school and is a heck of an athlete. Other kids that are not athletes that are 20th on list will not know until the first day of school if they "made it" into the magnet school or not.

Magnets are not public! Magnets and privates BOTH have the upper hand over plain ole hometown community public schools , and your crazy and blind if you can't see that.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Magnets are not public! Magnets and privates BOTH have the upper hand over plain ole hometown community public schools , and your crazy and blind if you can't see that.

I totally agree with you. Came from community public school system, kids in privates (going DivII) so see both sides. The magnets not being multiplied and other publics that continually have "transfers" are the ones that stick in my craw.

• 2 weeks later...

Man I can't wait till the private supporters get up and see this! They will jump all over this one with how somehow THEY are the ones at the disadvantage , and THEY are the ones who are getting dominated.

Private schools SHOULD play in their own division....Period. They have more money to build and sustain better fascilities , which leads to more and better athletes attending their school. Private schools advertise better and safer education , whether thats true or not thats yet one more thing that draws students to their school. Private schools can take any kid from any area thats close enough to commute to their campus. All of these are benefits that public schools do not enjoy.

Now get ready for the barage of "publics get tax dollars" and "Prvates are going broke because of the economy" and " I sacrifice so much to send my kids to private my Lexus is 5 years old".

movinonup:

(By the way, dude---your grammar and spelling is horrible. I have been at work since 6:00, my 7 year old Malibu started fine, and my kids are at private school, my spouse is at work---and you are beating a dead horse to death)

old24eagle:

What did I spell wrong? besides the typo on privates.

ChaunceyGardiner:

Here is your answer (corrections in blue) including the typo on privates. I wouldn't say the spelling and grammar in this post is any more horrible than the average post on this site.

Man I can't wait till the private supporters get up and see this! They will jump all over this one with how somehow THEY are the ones at the disadvantage , and THEY are the ones who are getting dominated.

Private schools SHOULD play in their own division....Period. They have more money to build and sustain better facilities, which leads to more and better athletes attending their school. Private schools advertise better and safer education , whether that's true or not that's yet one more thing that draws students to their school. Private schools can take any kid from any area that's close enough to commute to their campus. All of these are benefits that public schools do not enjoy.

Now get ready for the barrage of "publics get tax dollars" and "Privates are going broke because of the economy" and " I sacrifice so much to send my kids to private my Lexus is 5 years old".

movinonup:

(By the way, dude---your grammar and spelling is horrible. I have been at work since 6:00, my 7 year old Malibu started fine, and my kids are at private school, my spouse is at work---and you are beating a dead horse to death)

old24eagle:

What did I spell wrong? besides the typo on privates.

ChaunceyGardiner:

Here is your answer (corrections in blue) including the typo on privates. I wouldn't say the spelling and grammar in this post is any more horrible than the average post on this site.

Private schools SHOULD play in their own division....Period. They have more money to build and sustain better facilities, which leads to more and better athletes attending their school. Private schools advertise better and safer education , whether that's true or not that's yet one more thing that draws students to their school. Private schools can take any kid from any area that's close enough to commute to their campus. All of these are benefits that public schools do not enjoy.

Now get ready for the barrage of "publics get tax dollars" and "Privates are going broke because of the economy" and " I sacrifice so much to send my kids to private my Lexus is 5 years old".

You've been at work since 6? Your post is time stamped at 10:53 pm. Did you get in at 6 am or 6 pm? If it's 6 am, you've had a long day and should go home. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Your only arguement is that some on this board can't spell? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

You've been at work since 6? Your post is time stamped at 10:53 pm. Did you get in at 6 am or 6 pm? If it's 6 am, you've had a long day and should go home. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Your only arguement is that some on this board can't spell? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Dear 66in74,

You are addressing the wrong person. ChaunceyGardiner (me) is the person who posted on June 18 at 10:53 pm. I just included an excerpt from an earlier post by movinonup trashing old24eagle's spelling and grammar and two excerpts from posts by old24eagle.

The second of these posts was a copy of old24eagle's message with corrections to his spelling and grammar.

movinonup's post (May 19 2009 - 10:35 AM) says he had been at work since 6:00 AM that morning. My question for movinonup is why he is posting on CoachT while on the clock at his workplace, probably using a company PC for personal activities. Maybe we should give him the benefit of the doubt and acknowledge he might have been on break using his own laptop.

My argument was not that old24eagle's post is filled with spelling and grammatical errors. It was that posts with errors are common on CoachT.

By the way, remember next time that "argument" has only one "e". /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

movinonup's post (May 19 2009 - 10:35 AM) says he had been at work since 6:00 AM that morning. My question for movinonup is why he is posting on CoachT while on the clock at his workplace, probably using a company PC for personal activities. Maybe we should give him the benefit of the doubt and acknowledge he might have been on break using his own laptop.

Just one of the MANY reasons we do not use our real names on here !!!!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Just one of the MANY reasons we do not use our real names on here !!!!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Amen.

He is owner of the business.

uh, no, but thanks for playing.

Well, that's okay. If you regularly start work at 6:00 AM, I suspect you end up working way more than 40 hour weeks, so a little break for CoachT posting is a good thing for stress relief.

Sorry for getting the thread off track. Back to the original topic, I am in favor of reuniting the publics and privates in all sports. Having eight classifications in football in a state the size of Tennessee greatly devalues winning a state championship. I would be in favor of no more than four classifications in any sport with all schools included. The multiplier should be reviewed to determine if one should be applied, and if so, how.

I am a graduate and supporter of a public school in the eastern part of the state, where there are fewer private schools than in metropolitan Nashville and Memphis. From my perspective, it is the responsibility of each school (public or private) to do its best to field competitive teams and let the chips fall where they may. Maybe, if I lived in Nashville, Jackson, or Memphis, my opinion would be different, but I don't think so.

Even when Brentwood Academy football was at its best, the school did not dominate its competition the way public schools Maryville and Alcoa have in the 2000's. Cleveland, Marion County, Maryville, Alcoa, and Austin East are among the public schools that defeated them in championship games over the years. It can be done.

If there were only three or four classifications rather than eight, it's very unlikely that Maryville would have 7 championships and Alcoa 6 since 2000. Going back to four classifications will get rid of the "grade inflation" and make championships more meaningful again.

Well, that's okay. If you regularly start work at 6:00 AM, I suspect you end up working way more than 40 hour weeks, so a little break for CoachT posting is a good thing for stress relief.

Sorry for getting the thread off track. Back to the original topic, I am in favor of reuniting the publics and privates in all sports. Having eight classifications in football in a state the size of Tennessee greatly devalues winning a state championship. I would be in favor of no more than four classifications in any sport with all schools included. The multiplier should be reviewed to determine if one should be applied, and if so, how.

I am a graduate and supporter of a public school in the eastern part of the state, where there are fewer private schools than in metropolitan Nashville and Memphis. From my perspective, it is the responsibility of each school (public or private) to do its best to field competitive teams and let the chips fall where they may. Maybe, if I lived in Nashville, Jackson, or Memphis, my opinion would be different, but I don't think so.

Even when Brentwood Academy football was at its best, the school did not dominate its competition the way public schools Maryville and Alcoa have in the 2000's. Cleveland, Marion County, Maryville, Alcoa, and Austin East are among the public schools that defeated them in championship games over the years. It can be done.

If there were only three or four classifications rather than eight, it's very unlikely that Maryville would have 7 championships and Alcoa 6 since 2000. Going back to four classifications will get rid of the "grade inflation" and make championships more meaningful again.

CG, your post almost agrees with my thoughts but for different reasons. Every time you have a different classification it costs somebody something. If a school wants to emphasize something let the patrons or the community pay for it in their booster. Aide is not an issue if the school plays for it. You are right, the multiplier should be reviewed but tied in to the way aide is provided to student athletes and the amount. it is verifiable. Zoning should be worked out and applied in privates as is the reason for so much contention. Middle School recruiting for students should be tightened up and zones adherred to. Schools were put in an area to start with because publics found a population need and privates thought they could make money. It is unbelievable a school can be built in a metropolitan area and in thier plan, run busses in a 30 mile radius of their school and expect it not to be disruptive. If there are numerous schools, how can either plan and at what cost. One might say let the market take care of it and I would say if it drasticly effects the cost of the product and the quality that is put out, change it. As did the public school system, allow only so many privates in an area in High School and zone them accordingly. MBA did it for a long time and only when the model changed did the social issues change.

You might say this is too tight restrictions and I would say no one likes restrictions in any way but the way this is being handled is worse than what should be expected.

CJ I agree with cutting down the divisions with you and many are now seeing but don't realize the additional cost. Loud voices always say it can't be done and sometimes make good points. The other side of it is a bunch of small schools whose optimistic approach is growth and need and thats what we heard with public schools and publics had to change locations and build larger schools and small privates just close them down and move the students around and expect everything to revolve around it. Bad planning is bad planning and why should the taxpayer pay for all of that in addition to the extra public schools being built. Thats not the answer but I'm unsure this society has the will to operate its public schools as they should but someday they will find out they can and we will all be better.

By the way, didn't know Mr Haney had a brother. Good picture