What REALLY is the difference between D I & DII?

They pretty much do now-----it is called Magnet Schools.

Magnet schools should be in DII as well. What a bunch of garbage to use your specialized basket weaving classes to be able to recruit kids.

Most public schools have to simply take what they get and run with it. Sure you have your Maryvilles and Alcoas who can flash half a dozen championship rings at kids to get them to come to their school but small publics can't compete with the privates pretty new uniforms , state of the art fascilities , 10 coaches per staff , and top notch education. I don't see anything wrong with having all of that it's just advantages that MOST publics don't have.

In the football region we play in 1 out of 6 teams has a practice field. Tell me a private school without one of those. 0 of 6 has an actual visitors locker room. None of them has a weight ROOM , they all have weights somewhere. (back of the locker room , etc.) Most of the teams in our region will only staff 3-5 coaches as well.

Baseball , Softball , and Soccer is dominated by summer travel teams and club teams which makes it easier to find the kids you could DRAW to your school , and having all of the things you need makes that easier. I know several small publics that doesn't even have their own Baseball , and softball fields.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the TSSAA handbook - "Section 3. For tournament competition there shall be two categories. Division I shall be schools whose student-athletes competing at the varsity level do not receive need??“based financial aid. Division II shall be those schools whose student-athletes competing at the varsity level may be the recipients of need-based financial aid."

I think you'd be surprised how many know of situations where Division I athletes are receiving aid or have it "taken care of" but choose not to report it due to being friends or acquaintances of the parents involved.

The landscape of schools has changed so much in the last 30 years that most people don't have a clue as to how things were in the past or where they will be in the next 30 years. At one time you had 1 classification in all sports, then we had a large school and small school division in football, basketball & baseball. After that we had A, AA & AAA in football, basketball, softball, baseball and volleyball. At some point we went to 5 classifications in football and now we have D1 & D2 with each division having several classifications. Tennessee has rual public schools, urban public schools, magnet schools, rual private schools, suburban private schools, suburban public schools, zoned public schools, open zoned public schools, private prep schools, small christian schools, large Catholic schools, small Catholic schools, charter public/private schools, alternative public schools, public schools for children with specific disabilities, etc... Tennessee is now going to crown 9 state football champions which is nothing more than a watered down joke. California only has 3 state football champions and they have more high school students in the city of Los Angeles than we have in the state of Tennessee. With all of the diversity that we have now & in the future Tennessee should do the following: Place everyone back together and have 4 classifications. All schools that offer financial aid, magnet schools, opened zoned schools must be in 3A or 4A & all private schools that do not offer financial aid must play in 2A or higher. Reclassification would take place every 6 years & schools could move up in sports they are strongest in and stay where their enrollment numbers place them in sports where they are not as strong. Sports like track & field, wrestling, tennis, golf, (individual sports) would only have 1 classification.

So how are teams classified now. When I played there wasn't a Division II. I am under the impression that it's Private Schools yet I see schools such as Goodpasture & Chattanooga Christian in Division I. Aren't they private? Just need help understanding. Seems like their schools are dominating Division I at the Spring Flee in Murfreesboro in most all sports. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Hillsboro High School (public) won Football and Basketball Championship this year - they are open enrollment schools - did thay have those back when you played and what are ur thoughts on that?

With all of the diversity that we have now & in the future Tennessee should do the following: Place everyone back together and have 4 classifications. All schools that offer financial aid, magnet schools, opened zoned schools must be in 3A or 4A & all private schools that do not offer financial aid must play in 2A or higher. Reclassification would take place every 6 years & schools could move up in sports they are strongest in and stay where their enrollment numbers place them in sports where they are not as strong. Sports like track & field, wrestling, tennis, golf, (individual sports) would only have 1 classification.

I REALLY like this idea.

there was a time i would have been right up at the front on this debate from the public side.

but at that time the public-private competition was so one-sided as to be a farce.

the current setup might be screwy as all get out.

and it sure isnt as good as a merit system.

but publics dont always lose and privates dont always win.

i dont know what more you could hope for.

Man I can't wait till the private supporters get up and see this! They will jump all over this one with how somehow THEY are the ones at the disadvantage , and THEY are the ones who are getting dominated.

Private schools SHOULD play in their own division....Period. They have more money to build and sustain better fascilities , which leads to more and better athletes attending their school. Private schools advertise better and safer education , whether thats true or not thats yet one more thing that draws students to their school. Private schools can take any kid from any area thats close enough to commute to their campus. All of these are benefits that public schools do not enjoy.

Now get ready for the barage of "publics get tax dollars" and "Prvates are going broke because of the economy" and " I sacrifice so much to send my kids to private my Lexus is 5 years old".

Couldnt agree with you more !! Great post !!

• 2 weeks later...

If T$$AA is going to let the privates play with public schools then they need to start letting the public schools recruit from through out their region and beyond like the private do.

Now you have traveling teams playing schools then are limited by boundries.

How come when a kids moves from one public school to another, it's called a transfer? Yet, when a public school kid goes from a public school to a private school for the very same reasons as a public to public transfer, it's called recruiting?

Private schools SHOULD play in their own division....Period. They have more money to build and sustain better fascilities ,

Perhaps your public school should do alot more fund raising so that they can upgrade their facilities. Afterall, that is how the private schools do it as they don't get public tax funds to build sports facilities.

Private schools can take any kid from any area thats close enough to commute to their campus. All of these are benefits that public schools do not enjoy.

Your above statement has more leaks in it than the Titanic. You fail to mention the public schools and systems that have open zoning or even allow kids who live in another county to go to school and play for them as long as a parent has a job at that particular school.

How come when a kids moves from one public school to another, it's called a transfer? Yet, when a public school kid goes from a public school to a private school for the very same reasons as a public to public transfer, it's called recruiting?

Check out the girls basketball forum in the offseason, whenever there are "hot stove league" topics.

Private schools can take any kid from any area thats close enough to commute to their campus. All of these are benefits that public schools do not enjoy.

Your above statement has more leaks in it than the Titanic. You fail to mention the public schools and systems that have open zoning or even allow kids who live in another county to go to school and play for them as long as a parent has a job at that particular school.

Right now in Jackson, Freshman that is 40th(+) on waiting list /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> is practicing on a Magnet School team and has been told that they have already made team and not to worry, they would get into the school. There's another "recruiting war" won by the magnets...same kid has applied to private school and is a heck of an athlete. Other kids that are not athletes that are 20th on list will not know until the first day of school if they "made it" into the magnet school or not.