Top players in the midstate

booboodafool

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Corey Brewer, Portland High- A big athletic guard (6'6) that can handle the ball and shoot the three very effectively. His post game is very effective as well..For a JR (Young JR) he has a very smooth and flawless game..His weakness may be ball handling but does a solid job for a big man.

John Ferguson, Portland High- Brewers main option on the post..Plays with his back to the basket better than anyone on this level.Strong, fundamental, with a nice touch from the outside.Should get a lot of attention from Mid-Major D1 this year (SR year).

Shane Dansby, Harpth High-Shane has a mega vertical..His best attribute is the midrange game.He has improved on his three point shooting and ball handling.He is very strong and plays above the rim all the time. Played a role for Harpth the past two years behind the shadow of Belmont signee Josh Goodwin but the next two years will be his. Should become a legitament Major D1 prospect this year (JR year).

Antwan Harris(JR) and Mike Sampson(SR), Kenwood High-Both are very explosive players that should get alot of attention this year. They are strong with lots of athletic ability.

Brandon Burney, Montgomery Central High-He is the most underrated player in the state of TN and that may be because he plays double A ball.. This kid can FLAT OUT play the game of basketball.His jump shot and unselfishness is what he brings to a team. He plays PG on the high school level but hes a natural slasher that in college should play the SG..List at 6'1 he should grow into a legitament shooting guard. The big knock on him is he dont always play hard.

There are alot more but those were just a few off the top of my head.

Add these two:

Josh Stephen, David lipscomb, Fundamentally sound, good size and footwork. Good range and pure shooter for a big man. May be the best overall player in the Midstate in all classifications.

Johnny Lee, MLK. Only a sophomore, but is a natural at his point guard position. Good vision of the floor. Good ball handler with a nice jumper and quick release. Needs to hit the weights.

I'm sure there are more...but these two always come to mind when you start talking about top players in the Midstate.

6 weeks and 3 days until practice time. :rolleyes:

[Edited by COACHHARD on 9-17-02 5:37A]

I wasnt sure if Giles Co was in the midstate but theres no doubt Tyler Smith is the best player in the midstate and State of TN...Wadale Williams is a nice player. I heard Josh stevens was the real deal, but he comes from a great program so thats not surprisingly.

If you check the first thread I wrote you'll see where I post a mini scouting report about John Ferguson out of Portland.

The last time I talked with Coach Tris Kingston back in the spring he told me his whole team had like a 3.0 or something in that area. He said that Belmont, University of South, and Rhodes were all looking at him so if thats any indication if hes got the grades..As a matter of fact two Vandy Assistants and a Belmont assisant were there watching Corey Brewer and Big John both.

I hate to put this but first off its STEPHEN not Stevens. sorry, anyways i agree w/ all of you who put him as a top player because you have to remember he was the leading scorer on a team w/ Flatt last year and district player of the year in a distict w/ harriford, ferguson, and brewer, also anyone else from MLK or Hume Fogg. even though his numbers will go down his teammates numbers will go up especially the way he passes. Also MAD props to Harriford he can flat out play. its funny seein them develope into the players they are now from back in the day in the bellevue league. right now anyone could break out and have an outstanding year. good luck to all