Webb 2009

Govolsknox

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say the expectations are very unknown at this time... by far their biggest challenge will be to replace all lineman on both sides of the ball. Graduation took all OL/DL starters.

Offense - Assuming they can find a serviceable OL they should be in pretty good shape at all skill positions. QB is returning to start his 3rd season as a Junior. At wingback Webb has a very good sophomore who rushed for over 1,000 yards last season. Add to that a handful of 3-4 others who can really run the ball.

Defense - Again, DL will have to be replaced. Solid at LB with 2 of 3 starters returning. 1 of 2 CBs are returning. The strength of the defense will be at safety. Both of Webb's safeties are tall, fast and aggressive.

Special Teams - Lost a very good punter so that's an unknown. Placekicker returns and is solid. Punt and Kickoff returner is back.

Young lineman will have to step up big time in order for Webb to compete this season.

I'd say the expectations are very unknown at this time... by far their biggest challenge will be to replace all lineman on both sides of the ball. Graduation took all OL/DL starters.

Offense - Assuming they can find a serviceable OL they should be in pretty good shape at all skill positions. QB is returning to start his 3rd season as a Junior. At wingback Webb has a very good sophomore who rushed for over 1,000 yards last season. Add to that a handful of 3-4 others who can really run the ball.

Defense - Again, DL will have to be replaced. Solid at LB with 2 of 3 starters returning. 1 of 2 CBs are returning. The strength of the defense will be at safety. Both of Webb's safeties are tall, fast and aggressive.

Special Teams - Lost a very good punter so that's an unknown. Placekicker returns and is solid. Punt and Kickoff returner is back.

Young lineman will have to step up big time in order for Webb to compete this season.

Is the younger Blanch expected to see a good deal of playing time? Are there any other incoming freshmen that seem to have a shot at immediate impact after spring practice?

This time last year nobody thought the older Blance was ready for varsity play but he proved to everyone that he was. His younger brother is very talented physically, we'll just have to wait and see if he has the same mental attitude his brother has. If he does, then he will play.

I haven't heard of any other freshmen that would play...

• 1 month later...

Attended the 4-way scrimmage last night at Webb. When it was ones vs. ones... Webb scored 3 TDs to Wartburg's 0, Webb scored 3 TDs to Karns' 0 and Webb had 1 FG to Kingston's 1 FG.

I really don't believe that Wartburg, Karns or Kingston will do much this year so the fact that Webb did okay doesn't really mean a whole lot.

On offense... Webb once again will have very talented running backs who can fly. There were several nice runs by all backs. QB play was hot & cold. Several nice pass plays but missed some open receivers. O-line has a LONG way to go. There is some talent there but they have not come together as a unit as of yet. Way too many missed blocks but good effort so there is a chance for them to get it together. Webb played last night without two of their starting RBs so that should tell you they have very good depth at that position.

On defense... LBs are very active and made several plays. DBs were good at times but missed some tackles in the open field. D-line was better than I expected. Very good DE who is tall and fast wreaked havoc all night in the backfield. DTs were active and made some plays. Overall, Webb's defense seems very fast and aggressive. One starting outside LB did not scrimmage as well as one of their starting safeties.

Special teams for Webb is a mixed bag. Placekicking is solid. Very good kicker with above average leg strength. Punting is really weak. Wouldn't surprise me if they try every kid they have and see who can punt.

I think Webb will certainly be tested against Clinton next Tuesday and get a better idea of how they stand.

I was wondering how that scrimmage went last night so thanks for the run down. Im a Wartburg fan & for you to say that we wont do anything this year, I think you are wrong. We have scrimmaged Sequoyah, Stone Memorial & Scott High. All 4a schools & beat one of them, played even with the other 2. We are a small 2a play-off school so playing with those teams is good news for us. The only thing I had heard over here is that Wartburg played well against Karns & Kingston, but that Webb was without a doubt the best team over there. So maybe you guys have something good going & just don't realize it. Good Luck this season.

Can you give us some details on the Kingston match up and your impressions of them?

Kingston apparently graduated their entire lines. Both O-line and D-line need some work for sure. They run the same offense as Webb and their O-line hasn't quite grasped how to work together. A cohesive O-line is critical for the wing-t to work successfully. They had some decent size on their lines but didn't dwarf Webb which tells me they aren't that big because Webb's lines are undersized. They had a RB who was good sized and ran hard along with a very big TE who caught passes and ran pretty well after the catch. QB was okay but looked like he was still learning the offense.

Defensively Kingston seemed pretty good. Again their line was not huge but moved pretty well. Their LBs were very active. In fact they play several kids both ways and their good RB also plays LB as does the TE who plays DE. Secondary was not very good.

Punter was average while the placekicker was solid.

I've seen Kingston every year for the past 4 and this is their weakest team I've seen. One of their parents told me that heavy graduation loss has put them in a rebuilding mode. They have some talent for sure so they could improve with more work.