Webb 2009

Govolsknox

Was your take that it was an indication that their defense is that strong or did Webb shoot themselves in the foot?

Actually, Kingston was the last team Webb scrimmaged and I believe Webb's lines were getting tired. Not to take anything away from Kingston's defense. Like I said, they were pretty good at LB and DE.

Overall, I believe Webb was better than Kingston, it just didn't translate to the scoreboard which happens sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Webb looked very good in the jamboree. I didn't think that Caleb would have an immediate impact last year due to his size, shows how much I know. I won't make the same mistake with Aaron. He made his own statement last Friday! Webb looked good the rest of the scrimmage against the much larger Farragut team. I was a little surprised that their line didn't get pushed around more by Farragut. Were my eyes playing tricks on me or did you see it the same way?

I thought Webb looked pretty good in the Jamboree as well. However, I think Farragut only used their starters for one series. Webb didn't move the ball consistently and gave up a few too many 3rd down conversions but all-in-all it turned out about as good as Webb could expect. Aaron has speed to burn most defenses. He outran Farragut DBs who had a slight angle on him along the sideline. Very impressive. Both of Webb's lines are improving but still have a ways to go. The key to Webb this season will be keeping their starters healthy. They are very thin at some positions and can't afford to have someone injured.

I predict that Central will move the ball on Webb. Their offense looked pretty promising to me (saw them at the jamboree and the CAK scrimmage.) Hard to say how well Webb (only saw them at the jamboree as the other scrimmage I tried to go to was rained out) will move the ball on Central. Their defense looked suspect to me at the CAK scrimmage but Webb runs a totally different style of offense. You could easily underestimate Webb with less than 50 players, but they execute extremely well. If there are injuries, it will help Central as Webb's debth is an issue IMO. If everyone stays healthy, I predict Webb will be too much for Central in the end. Score is totally a guess, but I'd toss out 28 to 14 Webb if I had to guess.

Based on watching these two teams play in the Jamboree... it appears to be a very even matchup.

Central has several skill athletes that looked very good starting with their RB who can fly. Central's QB will present a challenge to Webb's defense as he is a dual-threat QB who seemed to throw the ball very well. I think Webb's secondary could be facing a tough challenge this Friday defending the pass as Central's WR were very good at making people miss and gaining yards after the catch. Central's LBs were active and overall they had plenty of size in both their lines.

Webb on the other hand will need to execute their offense. They didn't seem quite in sync at the Jamboree as they were playing without their starting line as a unit for most of the night due to frequent substitutions. No doubt they have some serious speed in the backfield with those two RBs. Defensively Webb's LBs are solid and really can lay some licks. They had a couple of hits against Farragut that were big-time. The key for Webb on defense against Central will be to contain their QB and pressure him with their d-line and ends. Meanwhile the secondary, particularly the safeties are going to have to provide strong run support to keep Central's RB in check.

I'm predicting a very close game that could go either way. First game jitters could be a factor with turnovers for either team. We'll see how it plays out.

My initial thoughts on the Webb vs Central game proved to be pretty accurate except for the score. I must say that I was really impressed with Webb Friday night. Both teams out there warming up you really see the difference between a 5A school and Webb. Obviously the numbers are vastly different between the two schools as Webb probably dresses 50 kids or so, but the number of kids who look like athletes was also much in favor of Central. The most notable difference in the look test were the O and D lines. Central had some really big kids that were strong. I think on average they must have out-weighed Webb's lines by an average of 40-50 lbs. per man.

So how was it that Webb was able to overcome the difference in numbers and size and win easily 37-16? Here's my take:

1) Central's big strong and athletic O and D lines manhandled Webb for the first quarter and that's it. After that, Webb's lines were holding their own and actually winning some battles. Why? Because Central's lines were getting really tired. Webb's team conditioning was vastly superior in this area and proved to be a big reason why Webb was able to turn the game around after falling behind 10-0.

2) Webb's offense was able to adjust. The coaching staff did a great job of calling pass plays to open up the running game. Central's defense was on their heels the entire 2nd quarter when Webb scored 3 TDs. I'm sure Webb's coaches will find plenty of room for improvement on offense but it's so impressive watching the wing-t they run executed the way the do. At several points during the game Webb's backfield consisted of two freshman and a sophomore. Webb's talent at RB is deep and fast. Opposing teams will have to somehow defend all 3 RB positions because any of the 3 can take it all the way. QB was very good as he hit most of his targets for over 150 yards and displayed the ability to escape pressure early on.

3) Webb's defense did a good job controlling Central's offense and held them to around 200 total yards with a good deal of those yards coming after mid-way through the 3rd quarter when Webb played their freshman and sophomores against Central's number ones. Webb's d-line battled hard against much bigger and stronger kids from Central and in the end won the war. Webb's LBs are very active and physical, especially their middle LB. Not sure how many tackles they had but it was a bunch. Also was very impressed with Webb's secondary. The two corners were athletic and good tacklers while their two safeties are very good sized and can really run. Webb's FS was in good position to make plays and never got beat over the top. Webb's SS, who often walks up to more of a LB position made several big tackles behind the line of scrimmage. You can tell that both of them are playmakers and know what they are doing.

All in all it was a very good start for Webb. Central should have a good year as they certainly have the athletes to do it. For this to happen, they'll need to get their talented lineman in better condition so they can sustain their effort for an entire game. Good luck to the Bobcats the rest of the way and hats off to their parents and students who displayed class before and after the game.

• 2 weeks later...

Govolsknox... Ezell-Harding has experienced lines on both sides of the ball. Reportedly they are big, strong and mostly seniors on the line. Also, they have a good QB and RB. They have already played two games this season and have won them easily. I expect them to be well-coached and disciplined.

Keys to the game will be how well Webb's line competes on both sides plus how Ezell-Harding can deal with Webb's overall team speed.

I enjoyed watching CAK play. I think you are in for a really good season.

I think Webb should have a speed advantage at the skill positions on both sides of the ball. EH lines are supposed to be good so Webb's lines will have to step up tonight.

In the end it could be that speed wins out. Webb's RBs are really, really fast. On defense, Webb has above average speed at LB and a very fast secondary.

EH has blown out their first two opponents but I don't think they'll be looking past Webb. Should be a good game though with speed vs size. We shall see.

47-0 final. Webb went up 34-0 mid 2nd qtr. and all starters were pulled and didn't play anymore.

In a nutshell, Ezell-Harding was just completely over matched in every phase of the game. They came into this game 2-0 and appeared to be improved from last season but really didn't offer much on offense or defense.

A good region win for Webb but a really weak opponent tonight. Next week vs Halls should be a good game and in no way will be an easy game for Webb.