Coaches and Cussing!

Titanfan99

I consider coaches - which in high school are also teachers - to be professionals. I have a professional career and have a team of people who work for me; I would never consider using profanity to motive or instruct my employees. To do so would be inexcusable, and I would be immediately fired if that were my chosen method of management. I am also a parent, and in that capacity, it is my job daily to instruct, discipline and motivate my children. I would NEVER consider cursing them as a method to accomplish this goal. Why would I expect less of people that my tax dollars are paying to guide my children. Reality is that most of the players on any team will be ending their career when they graduate from high school. Is it not more important to teach them how respectful, professional adults should behave in their workplace than it is to use such inappropriate methods in order to attempt to motive a team? Any coach that cannot instruct, discipline and motivate without resorting to such tactics should be fired. No classroom teacher would ever be allowed to speak to students with such a lack of respect without being fired, so why should a coach be any different?

I watched a local coach using profanity with his middle school team this past year. His team performed as poorly as he was behaving most of the season. Not only did his words not motivate his team to victory, they left a group of young men with no respect for a man that should have been their role model. Unfortunately, many of the boys on the team had no father in their lives or fathers who were not very good examples themselves, so he could have used the opportunity to teach them what is right instead of giving them more of what they probably already heard at home.

I agree that most teens use profanity when speaking with each other on a daily basis. I don't agree that this fact condones the behavior of professional adults. It is not our job as professionals, parents and role models to mimic the poor behavior of children but rather to exemplify the behavior of the men and women that we hope that they will become.

Amen

Nicely put and Thank you!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm grateful he didn't.

He should be OFF his high school team and OFF any college list as well.

Can you elaborate on the where, team and when?

He went to jail and it looks like the only playing in his furture is for State Pen. and not to be confused with Penn State.

• 2 weeks later...

I have worked the chain gang for our football team for the past 4 years. (We are in Middle TN and played 3A, now 4A and have a nice string of playoffs and a few state championships - for perspective). Only 2 times in 4 years have I heard opposing coaches continually cuss. I'm not talking about letting one occassionally fly (everyone is human) - I mean the whole game. In both cases with the coaches cussing up a storm, the players on the sidelines and, for the most part, the fans in the stands were completely out of control and largely classless. I'm not saying everyone that cusses is this way, I'm just saying what I saw.

In one game 3 years ago it was a very young coaching staff at a fairly new school. You could hardly tell the coaches from the players from the way they acted. In the second case, and this was last season, it was a fiasco - from a coach with no control, to players shouting profanities at the opposing team, to fans standing on the fence (which is just a few feet from the players and coaches) cussing the coach and actually calling out to players telling them what to do on the field! And the players listened to these people! At a high school game! Amazing.

In both cases these teams got their hats handed to them by our team. Now none of this may correlate at all, but we've also played some excellent teams with no profanity on the sideline - by coaches or players. Apparently, some coaches find a way to get their point across without resorting to cussing.

Just an observation and my 2 cents.

• 3 weeks later...

I played football in the SEC. I also played my highschool days in TN. In HS I never heard a cuss word come out of any of my coaches mouth, college......totalllly different story lol. Those guys would slip out a cuss word every 5 seconds. I prefer the non-cussing approach myself

I think this whole thread is just an extension of our society taking on and being force fed liberal views. The whole "I don't want my boy cussed", "don't use profanity around my boy", "cussing is bad". etc, etc.

is just a sign of the times. Daddy's and Moma's making sure junior doesn't get his little feeling hurt because hearing a cuss word might scar him. Its these same parents who "reason" with their kids instead of demanding they follow rules. Its the same parents who don't spank their kids because it hurts, they give time out instead. I don't have a problem with any coach using a little language to get their point accross. In a soft society maybe we need some people to be a little hard.

Well said Dear Old Dad! Alot of kids are being setup for failure nowadays when they get out in the real world. A good spanking never hurt me or my kids and deterred me from doing somethings that I was considering and was wrong. Coaches have a tall order now and I don't think a coach is a bad person if they let a word slip from time to time. Cussing all the time or using the "F" word or "GD" is not acceptable.

I think this whole thread is just an extension of our society taking on and being force fed liberal views. The whole "I don't want my boy cussed", "don't use profanity around my boy", "cussing is bad". etc, etc.

is just a sign of the times. Daddy's and Moma's making sure junior doesn't get his little feeling hurt because hearing a cuss word might scar him. Its these same parents who "reason" with their kids instead of demanding they follow rules. Its the same parents who don't spank their kids because it hurts, they give time out instead. I don't have a problem with any coach using a little language to get their point accross. In a soft society maybe we need some people to be a little hard.

Sorry dear ole Dad I Do Not cuss my children and would prefer you don't either. Nor do I believe that by not cussing my children, that by not cussing them makes them "weak" or I a Lib. I have found that people who's every other word is a cuss word "weak minded" and have a lack of self control. My friend you paint with a broad brush.

Signed a parent with a large enough vocabulary and self control that I don't have to cuss my children.

I only cuss kids if they need it. Ex: When I tell my son to get up in the morning to go to school I get a 50/50 chance of his immediate attention. But when I add " Get your _____ up!" I get immediate results. I have a doctorate so I don't consider myself weakminded. But that is also the language of the "lovey dovey" generation thus I take no offense to your peace,love, dope attitude. I would never cuss your kids unless they needed it. :roflolk: