Powell Panthers in 2009

osunut2

Playmakers for Powell should be Hunter Hodge at quarterback, Dashawn Mobley at tailback and Tyler Powell in the slot. Powell is probably the best overall athlete on the team. Mobley is a hard runner with good speed that needs to learn how to hold on to the ball a bit better. Hodge has a good arm and virtually no game experience. With the spread good reads are as important as good throws.

A sleeper playmaker could be Darian Logan as a kick/punt returner. He's very fast and illusive and will likely play some tailback as well.

On defense look for Hunter Cook and Tony Foster to be good lineman, with Cook at end and Foster at nose. Matt Meade should be a good centerfielder at safety and the linebackers as a group look to be talented and agressive.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last weekend at the DB 7-7 tournament some of the guys previous metntioned had some good games. Hodge did good at QB moving the offense and scoring some points, while T-Powell made some nice plays from the slot. McPhetridge also looked really good at TE.

Defense played pretty well after the first game. Petree at LB had a couple nice int's. Meade DB had a number of picks and one return for TD.

Overall Powell went 5-5 for weekend, beating every team there at least once.

I did not know that teams could compete in a passing league this early. Where was the tournament and who were some of the other teams in it?

Teams can compete before the dead period. This tournament was held before the dead period started. some of the other teams were Bearden, Sevier Co., Sullivan North, and Powell Valley, VA.

Do you have any more details about how the passing league went? I talked to someone (who heard it from someone else) that the sophomore receivers looked pretty good. I think they are Wright and Woods.

I understand that the receivers have made some progress, but there is still a ways to go. I was told that the young guys caught some balls that they shouldn't have over the weekend, but they dropped some that they should have caught, too. Just like we have talked about both on and off line, outside of TP the receiving corps is going to be very young and they are going to be inconsistent for a while. Knowing what kind of talent level is there I believe that they'll be fine and will show a lot of progress with reps. Coach Seymore knows what he is doing with that unit. He'll have them ready to play.

From what I understand the offensive and defensive coaches were former players at Powell and the players who went supplied their own transportation to Kingsport. However it was handled I don't think Powell, Bearden, Sevier County and the other schools would openly flaunt the rules like that if it was somehow illegal.

I hear from a friend it is some type of AAu football thing, but not called AAu. I even heard the coaches were there and watched but former players were the coaches. I guess they just found a way to git around the rules. Parents were coaching the teams, what about insurance if they get hurt. I would be mad as heck if a parent got my kid hurt? How do the parents know what to run? What I wont to know is why would Sevier Co and Powell and Bearden go all of the way to DB for a week long 7v7 tournament?

Why dont they do something like that in Knoxville? Dont Webb still have there passing games in July.

Rooster, I went back and looked at the rule and it says you cant do nothing but lift and condition during June, so how do they git away with doing this? Why dont coaches send there players in the gym to throw and just lock the doors so no one cant get in?