Trying to understand the new playoff system...

jabbo

Let me lay out an example. Suppose that District 14-A (chosen randomly) finishes in the order of Earl Nall's ratings:

1. Humboldt (2A)

2. Union City (1A)

3. Peabody (2A)

4. Lake County (1A)

5. Halls (1A)

6. Greenfield (1A)

7. South Fulton (1A)

Humboldt, as district winner, is a 2A gold team, which is an absolute automatic. Union City is a silver team for the 1A playoffs, which is a guaranteed bid in any class except 2A (and 99.6% guaranteed even there). There are no 2A bronze teams (since only one was available, and it's superseded by Humboldt's gold). In 1A, there are two bronze slots available; one is trumped by Union City's silver, but the other is awarded, to Lake County. Peabody, Halls, Greenfield, and South Fulton must hope for wild cards.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me lay out an example. Suppose that District 14-A (chosen randomly) finishes in the order of Earl Nall's ratings:

1. Humboldt (2A)

2. Union City (1A)

3. Peabody (2A)

4. Lake County (1A)

5. Halls (1A)

6. Greenfield (1A)

7. South Fulton (1A)

Humboldt, as district winner, is a 2A gold team, which is an absolute automatic. Union City is a silver team for the 1A playoffs, which is a guaranteed bid in any class except 2A (and 99.6% guaranteed even there). There are no 2A bronze teams (since only one was available, and it's superseded by Humboldt's gold). In 1A, there are two bronze slots available; one is trumped by Union City's silver, but the other is awarded, to Lake County. Peabody, Halls, Greenfield, and South Fulton must hope for wild cards.

That doesn't jive with the information in the link I posted...I'm confused again. :hungry:

Here's the way I understand it:

You have automatic births and at large births:

Automatic Births:

If there are 4 or more teams in the district within the same playoff class, then the top 2 go.

If there are 2-3 within the same playoff class then the top team within that playoff class goes.

If there is only 1 team in the district within a playoff class, then they need to finish 1 or 2 in District to go.

At Large Births:

I haven't a clue? :angry: And I'm not sure the TSSAA knows yet? :angry::angry:

Automatic Births:

If there are 4 or more teams in the district within the same playoff class, then the top 2 go.

If there are 2-3 within the same playoff class then the top team within that playoff class goes.

If there is only 1 team in the district within a playoff class, then they need to finish 1 or 2 in District to go.

At Large Births:

I haven't a clue? :roflol: And I'm not sure the TSSAA knows yet? :D:D

That part that I have bolded is retarded and argues against the entire point of the system. Let's take 11-AA for example:

If it finishes as:

1.) CW

2.) MC

3.) Camden

4.) Harpeth

5.) Cheatham

6.) Waverly

7.) Stewart

THEN.......CW at #1, Camden at #3, and Harpeth at #4 make the playoffs as automatic bids. If you are the only team in a district (like JCM) and you finish 3rd in that district but you aren't an automatic qualifier then that sucks. You are being punished by the way that your district was set up. Now if the rule stated that "one team classified district team goes to the playoffs if they finish in the top 4 of the district" then that would be understandable.

There are a lot of teams that won't finish in the top 2 of districts that will be automatic playoff qualifiers. That is sad for a team like JCM if you ask me :roflol:

Automatic Births:

At Large Births:

I haven't a clue? :D And I'm not sure the TSSAA knows yet? :D:D

That part that I have bolded is retarded and argues against the entire point of the system. Let's take 11-AA for example:

If it finishes as:

1.) CW

2.) MC

3.) Camden

4.) Harpeth

5.) Cheatham

6.) Waverly

7.) Stewart

THEN.......CW at #1, Camden at #3, and Harpeth at #4 make the playoffs as automatic bids. If you are the only team in a district (like JCM) and you finish 3rd in that district but you aren't an automatic qualifier then that sucks. You are being punished by the way that your district was set up. Now if the rule stated that "one team classified district team goes to the playoffs if they finish in the top 4 of the district" then that would be understandable.

There are a lot of teams that won't finish in the top 2 of districts that will be automatic playoff qualifiers. That is sad for a team like JCM if you ask me :roflol:

I agree it doesn't make sense, but that's the way I understand the automatic bid part of it.

Like I said, I have no clue about the at large/wildcard part of it. :roflol:

I went back and looked at the Board of Control minutes and I think MC would go as well from 11AA since they finished in the top 2. Now in your example if MC finished 3rd or worse they would have to get a wildcard birth.

So for automatic births we should add "the top 2 in the District get automatic births as well.

That still means if (JCM, not sure the District) is the only team in a playoff class within a District, they would have to finish 1 or 2 to get an automatic birth. I think Loretto is in the same boat.

Right, Central-Merry is one of three teams that is stranded as the only team of the lower subclass in its league (and the only one that was in that position when the districts were drawn up). The other two are MAHS (a late entry) and Copper Basin (there were two, but David Brainerd shut down). Three others (Sullivan East, Sequoyah, and Brighton) are the only teams in their subclass in their district, but those three are in the higher subclass.

Loretto would be in that position if District 12-A were standing alone, but in their case, their league is the whole region, which has two other 2A schools.

Here's the "cut and paste" from the Board of Control minutes at the June '08 meeting.

I sent an email to TSSAA and they responded they "are still working out the finer details of the tiebreakers etc".

Enjoy. :roflol:

In regards to football:

1. All schools play everyone in their district (AAA, AA, A)

2. Each class is divided in half by enrollment. AAA is divided into 6A/5A;

AA into 4A/3A; A into 2A/1A. This will place approximately 55-65 schools in each

football classification. If the number of football schools in Class A is less than 70,

then the Board would determine whether Class A would be divided for playoffs or

remain as one class. Using present enrollments, we would have 83 footballplaying

schools in Class A.

3. In 6A, 5A, 4A, and 3A, 32 teams would qualify for the playoffs. In 2A

and 1A 24 teams would qualify for the playoffs. This difference is due to the fact

that there would be 41-42 schools in 2A and 1A each, with 58-62 schools in the

other 4 classifications.

4. Teams would qualify for the playoffs in the following manner:

a. One half of the teams in each group (6A, 5A) in each district are

automatic qualifiers (Example: 4 teams - 2 automatic qualifiers; 6 teams -3

automatic qualifiers; 3 teams 1 automatic qualifier; 1 team 0 automatic qualifiers)

b. Teams finishing 1st or 2nd in the district are automatic qualifiers

c. Wild cards based on TSSAA tiebreakers

5. In 6A, there is the rare possibility that you have 25 automatic qualifiers.

Districts 1, 2, 3, 6, 8, 9, 10, and 16 where there is 1 qualifier and another 6A

team could finish 2nd. If this occurred in all 8 districts, you would have 33

qualifiers. In the unlikely event that this would happen, you would apply the

tiebreaker criteria to those 8 teams to determine the 7 qualifiers to complete the

32-team bracket.

6. The 32 teams are then placed geographically in 4 quadrants with 8

teams in each quadrant in 6A, 5A, 4A, and 3A. In 2A and 1A there are 6 in each

quadrant with the top 2 seeds drawing a bye in the first round.

7. The eight teams (6 in 2A and 1A) are placed in the bracket so that no

teams from the same district play each other in the first round except when there

are 5 or more teams from the same district. Placements are then done with

priorities given to automatic qualifiers based on their district finish followed by

Wild Cards. There may be times where teams have to be placed other than their

order of district finish to avoid teams from the same district meeting in the first

round.

8. The team with the higher seed will host throughout the first three rounds.

In the semifinals, the top team in the bracket will host in odd years and the team

in the bottom bracket will host in even years. (Exceptions: If the two teams are

from the same district, the higher finishing team in district standings shall host.)

H. Directed state office to bring back plan on how the tournament format would

look if you use the same plan for football for other sports (basketball, baseball,

softball, and volleyball).