District 4 AAA

LCityplayer

Catholic can compete just fine with the bigger schools, and have been able to do so for several years. They have a nice tradition. During that time, there have been some very good programs in the area and Catholic is one of them. Other than Fulton, we could argue about which program has been the strongest over the past few years. It's hard to distinguish because there have been many good ones, but Catholic would be in the discussion of those in the top tier.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Catholic can compete just fine with the bigger schools, and have been able to do so for several years. They have a nice tradition. During that time, there have been some very good programs in the area and Catholic is one of them. Other than Fulton, we could argue about which program has been the strongest over the past few years. It's hard to distinguish because there have been many good ones, but Catholic would be in the discussion of those in the top tier.

As far as tradition goes, I would say looking over the past ten years or so, the CLEAR top tier of AA & AAA teams in the Knox area would consist of Fulton, A-E, Maryville, Bearden, and Oak Ridge, not necessarily in that order.

On a level just below that I would include Clinton, Powell, Farragut, William Blount, Alcoa, and Catholic, all of which have had their moments during the last ten years but haven't been as consistently strong as the top five, imo.

Balance of power could easily change in the coming years...... West, Central G-P, and Carter will all be pretty good next year for example.

As far as tradition goes, I would say looking over the past ten years or so, the CLEAR top tier of AA & AAA teams in the Knox area would consist of Fulton, A-E, Maryville, Bearden, and Oak Ridge, not necessarily in that order.

On a level just below that I would include Clinton, Powell, Farragut, William Blount, Alcoa, and Catholic, all of which have had their moments during the last ten years but haven't been as consistently strong as the top five, imo.

Balance of power could easily change in the coming years...... West, Central G-P, and Carter will all be pretty good next year for example.

You make a very good point, however, since 2000-01 season the only teams in Knoxville (not Blount County or Anderson County) with more wins then Catholic is Bearden, A-E, and Fulton. With Farragut winning 25 games this season they may have passed the Irish (will check). No one is calling Catholic a powerhouse, just consistent.

Catholic is solid every year. Those stats show how well ogan does at powell as well. Is that just knoxville? I was curious how Oak Ridge and Maryville rank?

FLMS I did base those records on Knoxville teams only, but in time I'm sure you and your program will be high on this list. Good luck this season.

Norman Dale, I'm sure Alcoa is up there with total victories as well as Anderson County and probably Clinton too.

Just to throw this out there, I know that Bearden and Farragut are big rivals in the district and I'm assuming the 3 Blount schools have a good, healthy rivalry with each other. I'm curious as to who the Irish will build a potential rivalry with. Webb is our natural rival, but during the last few years in AA, Catholic and Anderson County develop into a really good game and district rivalry (sorry CAK fans). So much to the point that the players and coaches were more motivated to play the Mavericks than the Spartans. I believe that Catholic and West could develop into a pretty good rivalry (I could be wrong) what are your thoughts? By the way who is the rival for West?

West's rival is themselves. Because that is who they beat the most. :roflol:

In this district Catholic will have many teams that dislike the private school boys. I see Bearden, Farragut, and West disliking the Irish. I predict 75% of the games in this district will be heated do to the fact that 7 out of the 8 teams are competitive and could easily win the district.

My top 4 after seeing the rocky top league and summer ball are: Bearden, Maryville, Catholic, and West. Not in any certain order, and LC, William Blount, and Farragut will also have a strong say in that top 4. I do think the 4 teams that survive the district tourney will have a good chance of sweeping the other district in the region tourney.

West's rival is themselves. Because that is who they beat the most. :roflol:

In this district Catholic will have many teams that dislike the private school boys. I see Bearden, Farragut, and West disliking the Irish. I predict 75% of the games in this district will be heated do to the fact that 7 out of the 8 teams are competitive and could easily win the district.

We've played Farragut in the past and while they were good games it wasn't like being at a Webb or Anderson County game. It was almost like being at a Fulton vs. A-E game where people come just to come but not really watch or get into the game. We've never played Bearden and since I've been involved with Catholic we've played West twice, however I do remember large crowds for both games and fans being really into it. I saw on Catholic's schedule where the Irish are playing Anderson County in the Pilot so that should be fun to watch. I haven't seen any Rocky Top games who has been some of the surprise player down there?

Will Winton--Bearden, where was he last year?

Robert Boyd--Fulton, saw him up close and personal multiple time last year and he is a different player now

Jack Sanford--Maryville, big physical post

Zack Sherrill--Stone Memorial, a post player who has turned in to a nice strong guard

Matt Cox--Catholic, much more athletic than expected with a nice shot

Dwight Tarwater--Webb, had no idea he was that skilled

just a few...