AE at Powell, How did it turn out

boyfromsi

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Varsity: AE had 2 TDs, Powell had 1 TD and a Safety, the safety coming after Powell fumbled on about the 2 yard line. The freshman and jv's seemed to be about a draw. Powell seems to be improved against the run on defense and contained better than the past few defenses have. Offensively they will need to continue to improve. Run blocking wasn't what it needs to be and way too many dropped passes, but also some good plays sprinkled in. A couple nice scrambles by the QB's. AE is athletic but appears to need more conditioning and organization. The AE coaches were actually on the field with the team and they still seemed to be confused about their assignments. Several times running backs and QB ran into each other in the backfield. Also seemed to have problems with the shot gun snap from center. Way too many penalities, but that may have been the refs just getting warmed up for the season. Effort for both teams seemed acceptable.

It's early and this scrimmage will help both teams. Powell needs to improve offensively and over time they should. Defensively they are improved, but still need work on the pass defense. IMO, AE doesn't appear to warrant the lofty ranking they have right now (#2 in the state in 3A). Until they learn their assignments, all that athleticism will not cover up mistakes. As expected, the defense is ahead of the offense at this time. I would expect AE to be a better team as the season progresses and players learn their roles.

Overall, a nice job by both teams for the first scrimmage of the season. Good luck to both teams this year. :roflolk:

Varsity: AE had 2 TDs, Powell had 1 TD and a Safety, the safety coming after Powell fumbled on about the 2 yard line. The freshman and jv's seemed to be about a draw. Powell seems to be improved against the run on defense and contained better than the past few defenses have. Offensively they will need to continue to improve. Run blocking wasn't what it needs to be and way too many dropped passes, but also some good plays sprinkled in. A couple nice scrambles by the QB's. AE is athletic but appears to need more conditioning and organization. The AE coaches were actually on the field with the team and they still seemed to be confused about their assignments. Several times running backs and QB ran into each other in the backfield. Also seemed to have problems with the shot gun snap from center. Way too many penalities, but that may have been the refs just getting warmed up for the season. Effort for both teams seemed acceptable.

It's early and this scrimmage will help both teams. Powell needs to improve offensively and over time they should. Defensively they are improved, but still need work on the pass defense. IMO, AE doesn't appear to warrant the lofty ranking they have right now (#2 in the state in 3A). Until they learn their assignments, all that athleticism will not cover up mistakes. As expected, the defense is ahead of the offense at this time. I would expect AE to be a better team as the season progresses and players learn their roles.

Overall, a nice job by both teams for the first scrimmage of the season. Good luck to both teams this year. :roflolk:

Another GREAT game summary by FootballDad!!!!!!!

Not really. Austin-East had JV and freshmen in when Powell scored. There may have been some second string varsity in, but no starters. I thought the scrimmage was going to last all night... I don't think Matt Lowe was going to quit until Powell scored. I don't know how you figure Austin-East needs more conditioning. They did not show any fatigue. Austin-East did not have several blown plays; they did have a few. There were a few times when Powell RBs ran into each other also. Austin-East did have too many penalties, and the coaches were on the field... but it was a first scrimmage. Due to the rain, Austin-East only had one practice in full gear prior to the scrimmage.

#2 in 3A sounds pretty accurate to me.

Not really. Austin-East had JV and freshmen in when Powell scored. There may have been some second string varsity in, but no starters. I thought the scrimmage was going to last all night... I don't think Matt Lowe was going to quit until Powell scored. I don't know how you figure Austin-East needs more conditioning. They did not show any fatigue. Austin-East did not have several blown plays; they did have a few. There were a few times when Powell RBs ran into each other also. Austin-East did have too many penalties, and the coaches were on the field... but it was a first scrimmage. Due to the rain, Austin-East only had one practice in full gear prior to the scrimmage.

#2 in 3A sounds pretty accurate to me.

You must have been watching a different scrimmage from everybody else. :)

What did I say that is not accurate?

You said that AE looked like a number 2 ranked team. If that's so, then Alcoa is going to have no problem winning another state championship this year. The team I saw on Friday was nowhere near as talented as Alcoa.

You made excuses about not being able to practice because of the rain. Everybody had to deal with rain issues last week. That excuse doesn't fly.

Your inference is that AE controlled the scrimmage. That's just not the way it was and it seems like everybody who was there besides yourself saw that.

You said that AE looked like a number 2 ranked team. If that's so, then Alcoa is going to have no problem winning another state championship this year. The team I saw on Friday was nowhere near as talented as Alcoa.

You made excuses about not being able to practice because of the rain. Everybody had to deal with rain issues last week. That excuse doesn't fly.

Your inference is that AE controlled the scrimmage. That's just not the way it was and it seems like everybody who was there besides yourself saw that.

Fact: Austin-East scored 2, Powell scored 1 and a safety.

Fact: When Powell scored, Austin-East did not have any starters on the field.

Fact: Powell scored on the last varsity series at about 8:30 PM (the scrimmage started at 6 PM)

Fact: Austin-East had about 3 bad shotgun exchanges, too many penalties, 2 busted plays, and 1 fourth down turnover... all correctable early pre-season problems for a young team.

Fact: Austin-East coaches were on the field.

Fact: Powell had some busted plays.

Opinion: #2 in 3A sounds accurate to me. Austin-East has some work to do, but they are young. The core of their team is sophomores and juniors. It was the first time a lot of their players saw live varsity action against an opponent.

Opinion: Austin-East controlled the scrimmage and would dominate Powell in a real game. Austin-East scripted the plays that they wanted to run in the scrimmage, and they didn't take advantage of the weaknesses in Powell's defense the entire scrimmage because they had certain things on which they wanted to work.

So I ask my question again. Which of the facts listed above are not accurate?

What did I say that is not accurate?

It's interesting to post and read on coachT because there are so many different opinions when it comes to evaluating teams, players, coaches, outcomes of games & scrimmages, etc... that's what makes it fun. :) I firmly stand behind my opinion of what I witnessed on Friday at Powell, as I'm sure you do. I don't have a kid on either team, but I am associated with Powell through acquaintances. I'm sure that would have some influence on my opinion. But I saw an AE team that is not ready to go head to head with Alcoa or some of the other top 3A(playoff) teams. Of course thats just my opinion, but as a background reference, the team I support plays Alcoa every year, and in most years more than once. As to your comment regarding Powell only scoring on AE's JV or freshmen I would not have any idea if that were true or not since I don't know the AE personnel. I know both teams rotated players throughout the scrimmage, but I thought the freshmen and JV's got the brunt of their work the last 2 or 3 series. Didn't AE's freshmen have on white jerseys? To say AE would dominate Powell in a full game or that they controlled the scimmage is looking through "roadrunner" glasses. But I respect enthusiastic supporters. Good luck this season.

Fact: Austin-East scored 2, Powell scored 1 and a safety.

Fact: When Powell scored, Austin-East did not have any starters on the field.

Fact: Powell scored on the last varsity series at about 8:30 PM (the scrimmage started at 6 PM)

Fact: Austin-East had about 3 bad shotgun exchanges, too many penalties, 2 busted plays, and 1 fourth down turnover... all correctable early pre-season problems for a young team.

Fact: Austin-East coaches were on the field.

Fact: Powell had some busted plays.

Opinion: #2 in 3A sounds accurate to me. Austin-East has some work to do, but they are young. The core of their team is sophomores and juniors. It was the first time a lot of their players saw live varsity action against an opponent.

Opinion: Austin-East controlled the scrimmage and would dominate Powell in a real game. Austin-East scripted the plays that they wanted to run in the scrimmage, and they didn't take advantage of the weaknesses in Powell's defense the entire scrimmage because they had certain things on which they wanted to work.

So I ask my question again. Which of the facts listed above are not accurate?

Powell started at least 6 sophomores, and would have likely started another couple of not for injuries. They are a very young team, as well with only a couple of seniors who are projected to start at this point.

You are assuming that Powell had starters on the field all day, too. It goes both ways, you know.

You say that AE made correctable mistakes. Does that same thing not also apply to Powell? It was their first scrimmage, too.

How do you say that AE "controlled" the scrimmage and would dominate in a real game? AE had a great deal of trouble running the football. Yep, they hit a couple of long passes, which set up their scores. Are those not correctable coverage mistakes, too? Again, things go both ways.

You have failed to mention that Powell fumbled in the end zone going in, a fumble that was a botched handoff, by the way, which led to the safety. An unforced error kept the game from being tied at that point. Mistakes and "correctible errors" have a way of working themselves out.

Like FootballDad, I don't have a son on the team. My son graduated 5 years ago. I am a Powell supporter, but I can, and do, look at things objectively before I form an opinion. I suggest you sit back and do that same.

I put it like this you all are giving Powell more props then AE if you say you have nothing to do with Powell but you support them. I wasn't at the scrimmage either but I heard it was pretty much a good scrimmage and Powell didn't score until the last series. So if that's not true, oh well its just a scrimmage and we must move on. The only thing that can be learnt from a scrimmage is finding the areas you need to work on. Now I havent read on here where Columbia Blue and Scarlet Red stated that AE dominated the scrimmage so why are you all saying that he stated that? But considering the fact both of you stated you're not Powell fans, what players stood out for AE? Yeah, let's get on that subject!

Another Thing, its a new year and a new region for Alcoa. Go ahead and hand them the Championship if you want but there's A LOT of football to be played. AE is going to battle Alcoa like non other team has before. Like Hillsboro took it to Maryville last year, well its time for AE or someone to take it to Alcoa.. As a lot of people like to say, "get off their Alcoa's peanuts!!!"

Lastly but not least, how's the new stadium looking at Powell?