09-10 Hampton Bulldogs Basketball: Updates

Thats what I have been saying all along. We have all the talent in the world but it's no good if you can't bridle that talent and make it work. They are for the most part a great bunch of kids and are hard working and are winners at heart. They do have a lot of pressure, some self made, to preform. But it comes down to: who has the say so for who plays? who has the say so for what defense is run? who has the say so for the offense? and so on...IT'S THE COACHING STAFF THAT'S WHO!! They are doing the same stupid stuff they did last year...the fans and even opposing people and even the players recognise that the 1-3-1 doesnt work anymore. A DECENT shooting team has a field day from this defense! Everyone can see this ...well except the COACHING STAFF. The game of basketball has changed over the years and good coaches change with it. YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO ADJUST TO DIFFERENT SITUATIONS DURING A GAME!!! It's a chess match! COME ON COACHING STAFF--LETS STOP GETTING CROWNED! Give these kids some direction, change up some stuff, especially defense, get the ball inside a little more and for heavens sake stop all the dribbleing and pass the ball more. WE CAN OVERCOME AND BE CHAMPIONS!!!

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

uknoit2...talk about bashing! Leave the Jones kid alone!! He is a model young man and has a wonderful family too! You have NO business downing him...yeah he is another football player thats trying to convert to round ball. He is very competent of handling the point guard position and soon will. He isn't a selfish player either! Talk about fans in the stands...haha good one!!! :mellow:

Back up a lil....yes the Jones kid is a VERY good point guard, he isnt selfish and i WAS NOT downing him...he has been off and i said he needed to get in the groove.....i believe if some of the fans (NOT ALL OF THEM!) wuld not loudly blast this team, it might help them gel a lil faster....NOW FOR TONIGHT'S GAME.......#4 Jones played HIS game and all was going well....they seemed to play alot of man-on-man but went away from it to that 3-1-1 AND UNICOI WAS WAITING ON IT.....now Jones can hustle BUT JORDAN culdnt run that 'D' with good shooters in the corner....PERIOD !!!!! Jones 5'9-5'10 trying to run corner to corner to cover 6'3 and 6'5 shooters !!! COME ON ! and then they tried Hughes in the middle and guess what ???? HE DIDNT STOP IT EITHER ! THE 3-1-1- IS KILLING THIS TEAM JUST LIKE IT DID LAST YEAR

HEY COACH WHITE, i havent downed you in the stands, or on this forum....BUT the 3-1-1- 'D' must go and I saw you tell JONES, "YOU SUCK" after he lost the handle on the ball during a shot.......watched to see if you said such disrespectful things to ur other two shooters (after the worse shooting of the bunch) and of course U DID NOT......SHAME ON YOU !!!!!! WHAT KIND OF COACHING IS THAT ?!?!?!?!!?????? You need to stop acting like ur upset with some players then baby them in privacy while you TRY to humiliate others in front of everyone !!!!! COACH THIS TEAM, LET THEM RUN, LET THEM PLAY DEFENSE......OR YOU'RE GONNA DESTROY A GREAT BUNCH OF ATHLETES

By the way, Clouland coach NED SMITH said TONIGHT that he would play Hampton just like he has the past few years...."Wait on the 3-1-1" !!!!! PLEASE SOMEONE TALK TO WHITE.....LETS PLAY BALL !!! Please ! :thumb:

sorry, it was late and i was tired....i meant a 1-3-1 defense not 3-1-1- !!!!!! and i dont wish to appear as bashing the coaches nor showing disrespect......but there was no reason for what happened last night....thats all

I will have to agree with ya on this one. You should discpline your players the right way, teach them the right way to play and encourage them...not cuss and rant and rave and humiliate yourself, the player and the school...but thats the way it has been for years. Matheson has, in the past, been the worst of all, haven't heard as much this year.

I'M NOT HERE TO START THE NORMAL MOMBO JOMBO ABOUT BLAH BLAH BLAH.IM GONNA STATE A FACT.

EVERY ONE LOOK VERY CLOSE.....

AND PLEASE PASS IT ON.

THE 1-3-1 D. THAT COACH WHITE MAKES THE BULLDOGS PLAY IS THE WORSE D EVER. IT DOESN'T WORK.

THE 1-3-1 DOES NOT WORK

THE 1-3-1 DOES NOT WORK

THE 1-3-1 DOES NOT WORK

THE 1-3-1 DOES NOT WORK

THE 1-3-1 DOES NOT WORK

THE 1-3-1 DOES NOT WORK

THE 1-3-1 DOES NOT WORK

THE 1-3-1 DOES NOT WORK

THE 1-3-1 DOES NOT WORK

THE 1-3-1 DOES NOT WORK

THE 1-3-1 DOES NOT WORK.......TYPED TO SHOW HOW MANY OPEN THREE POINTER U LET UNICOI CO. HAVE.

TELL THE WARD BOY TO PASS THE BASKETBALL, FROM WHAT I'VE SEEN HE'S WORSE THEN LAST YEAR.

TELL THE JONES BOY TO QUIT SHOOTING EVERY SHOT.

P.S.

AND OH YEAH.... COACH WHITE: THE 1-3-1 DOES NOT WORK. CHANGE IT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE OR ELSE THE BULLDOG NATION WILL BE SINGING...

O HAMPTION! WHY CAN'T THEY PLAY BETTER "D". :flower:

being an avid carter county basketball follower, i stuck my head in at the hampton freshman game yesterday because i had nothing else going on and watched for a little while. the 1-3-1 they ran against unakas bunch looked terrible. im not the one to point any fingers but they got beat like they stole something. i think somebody told me it was 40 or so but i left early because i coudnt watch anymore. somebody or something has to change. unakas youngens laid one on them. :thumb:

Well, first of all, after reading some the last few posts, I did not realize Hampton had so many terrible, uneducated fans? It is kind of sad that many of you guys could not even watch a game on TV and be able to keep up with what is going on! I like the 1-3-1 defense at times because it does cause turnovers and speeds up the game. Other times(like against Unicoi) when you are playing a team that can Handle the ball and has shooters it will get you burned! Hampton did not have much choice late in the game when they were behind. They could not just let Unicoi stand out and hold the ball! I personally would have liked to have seen them stay with the man to man a little longer, but that was the coaches choice. Another reason for the 1-3-1 is to hide the big men against smaller teams. Some people have said that they can't play any defense and that is just not true. You cannot ask your big guys to guard other teams guards. It is not their fault that other teams are so small but it does make it hard when they have to guard smaller quicker players all over the court. As far as bashing the players, I think it is pretty pathetic for a fanbase to say the things they say about some of these players. Scorers and shooters are supposed to shoot the ball when they are open! People who are scorers are supposed to drive to the goal and draw fouls and score. I guess the guards are just supposed to stand on the perimeter and pass the ball inside every single play? Jones, Ward, and Hughes are going to miss shots and they are going to commit turnovers but that is just part of being a guard and having the ball in your hands all the time. I thought Jones looked a lot better Friday and had a good game and I think Ward played his best game of the year, even though he only played about 2 quarters. I don't know if some of you guys are jealous of these guys or what? I really don't understand the hate? Hampton fans are supposed to support and take up for Hampton players and not put them down all the time. I know if I were one of these guys and knew what my supposedly own fans were saying, I would find somewhere else to go to school where maybe I would be appreciated. I think there are some other schools out there that would like to have them. If some of you idiots on this board would just learn to STFU when you have no clue about basketball, Hampton will be fine this year!

I'M NOT HERE TO START THE NORMAL MOMBO JOMBO ABOUT BLAH BLAH BLAH.IM GONNA STATE A FACT.

EVERY ONE LOOK VERY CLOSE.....

AND PLEASE PASS IT ON.

THE 1-3-1 D. THAT COACH WHITE MAKES THE BULLDOGS PLAY IS THE WORSE D EVER. IT DOESN'T WORK.

THE 1-3-1 DOES NOT WORK

THE 1-3-1 DOES NOT WORK

THE 1-3-1 DOES NOT WORK

THE 1-3-1 DOES NOT WORK

THE 1-3-1 DOES NOT WORK

THE 1-3-1 DOES NOT WORK

THE 1-3-1 DOES NOT WORK

THE 1-3-1 DOES NOT WORK

THE 1-3-1 DOES NOT WORK

THE 1-3-1 DOES NOT WORK

THE 1-3-1 DOES NOT WORK.......TYPED TO SHOW HOW MANY OPEN THREE POINTER U LET UNICOI CO. HAVE.

TELL THE WARD BOY TO PASS THE BASKETBALL, FROM WHAT I'VE SEEN HE'S WORSE THEN LAST YEAR.

TELL THE JONES BOY TO QUIT SHOOTING EVERY SHOT.

P.S.

AND OH YEAH.... COACH WHITE: THE 1-3-1 DOES NOT WORK. CHANGE IT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE OR ELSE THE BULLDOG NATION WILL BE SINGING...

O HAMPTION! WHY CAN'T THEY PLAY BETTER "D". :thumb:

i DO NOT understand your comments about WARD AND JONES.............Ward was in foul trouble, but has looked pretty darn good and the paper said JONES had 9 points on 5 or 6 shots......"Ward worse than last year" and "Jones shooting EVERY shot"......OH PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yea we had both teams on the ropes. Depth just hurt us in pretty crucial parts of the game to go along with foul trouble... Justin and Drew picked up their 4th and 3rd foul at the start of the 3rd qtr and we had to go to young. The Cross kid hurt us from East going to the line way to many times and they hit some pretty clutch 3's down the stretch when we had it cut to about 4 or 5 but thats basketball.

For the most part it seems like we are getting better even though we didnt get the the W against East or Tn High there was good signs to each outcome of the game. But the staff is doing a good job kids are working hard and the younger kids are showing some promise for later on down the road. But we got a tough one Friday down at North Greene hopefully we will come prepared to play in a tough enviroment and come out with a win.

Coach RC

Some food for thought. Did you ever think that the reason they played the 1-3-1 is to their center, who I will not name, can STAND in the middle of the lane. He cannot guard anyone in man defense, that has already been proven. So you are saying that you want everyone to "man up" aor guard their man? Wouldn't you like to see that.......................talk about getting burnt. You would have to have subs for defense and then sub for offense. They are limited in what they can do when they have the "bigs" in the lineup because the other teams bigs are quicker and can play facing the basket. So, if you are wanting a change in the defense you are saying to put our "big" on the bench???? Is that correct?

i DO NOT understand your comments about WARD AND JONES.............Ward was in foul trouble, but has looked pretty darn good and the paper said JONES had 9 points on 5 or 6 shots......"Ward worse than last year" and "Jones shooting EVERY shot"......OH PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, first of all, after reading some the last few posts, I did not realize Hampton had so many terrible, uneducated fans? It is kind of sad that many of you guys could not even watch a game on TV and be able to keep up with what is going on! I like the 1-3-1 defense at times because it does cause turnovers and speeds up the game. Other times(like against Unicoi) when you are playing a team that can Handle the ball and has shooters it will get you burned! Hampton did not have much choice late in the game when they were behind. They could not just let Unicoi stand out and hold the ball! I personally would have liked to have seen them stay with the man to man a little longer, but that was the coaches choice. Another reason for the 1-3-1 is to hide the big men against smaller teams. Some people have said that they can't play any defense and that is just not true. You cannot ask your big guys to guard other teams guards. It is not their fault that other teams are so small but it does make it hard when they have to guard smaller quicker players all over the court. As far as bashing the players, I think it is pretty pathetic for a fanbase to say the things they say about some of these players. Scorers and shooters are supposed to shoot the ball when they are open! People who are scorers are supposed to drive to the goal and draw fouls and score. I guess the guards are just supposed to stand on the perimeter and pass the ball inside every single play? Jones, Ward, and Hughes are going to miss shots and they are going to commit turnovers but that is just part of being a guard and having the ball in your hands all the time. I thought Jones looked a lot better Friday and had a good game and I think Ward played his best game of the year, even though he only played about 2 quarters. I don't know if some of you guys are jealous of these guys or what? I really don't understand the hate? Hampton fans are supposed to support and take up for Hampton players and not put them down all the time. I know if I were one of these guys and knew what my supposedly own fans were saying, I would find somewhere else to go to school where maybe I would be appreciated. I think there are some other schools out there that would like to have them. If some of you idiots on this board would just learn to STFU when you have no clue about basketball, Hampton will be fine this year! -T Durden

I'm simply saying we need to change the defense up a little.Be prepared. It does not take a basketball genius to see that. Not bashing any player here, I love them all and still expect big things down the road from these kids.

> And if you want to call me an "idoit" or "uneducated" for having an opinion then that's your opinion.<

Go Dogs and God Bless.

Some food for thought. Did you ever think that the reason they played the 1-3-1 is to their center, who I will not name, can STAND in the middle of the lane. He cannot guard anyone in man defense, that has already been proven. So you are saying that you want everyone to "man up" aor guard their man? Wouldn't you like to see that.......................talk about getting burnt. You would have to have subs for defense and then sub for offense. They are limited in what they can do when they have the "bigs" in the lineup because the other teams bigs are quicker and can play facing the basket. So, if you are wanting a change in the defense you are saying to put our "big" on the bench???? Is that correct?

Well, first of all, after reading some the last few posts, I did not realize Hampton had so many terrible, uneducated fans? It is kind of sad that many of you guys could not even watch a game on TV and be able to keep up with what is going on! I like the 1-3-1 defense at times because it does cause turnovers and speeds up the game. Other times(like against Unicoi) when you are playing a team that can Handle the ball and has shooters it will get you burned! Hampton did not have much choice late in the game when they were behind. They could not just let Unicoi stand out and hold the ball! I personally would have liked to have seen them stay with the man to man a little longer, but that was the coaches choice. Another reason for the 1-3-1 is to hide the big men against smaller teams. Some people have said that they can't play any defense and that is just not true. You cannot ask your big guys to guard other teams guards. It is not their fault that other teams are so small but it does make it hard when they have to guard smaller quicker players all over the court. As far as bashing the players, I think it is pretty pathetic for a fanbase to say the things they say about some of these players. Scorers and shooters are supposed to shoot the ball when they are open! People who are scorers are supposed to drive to the goal and draw fouls and score. I guess the guards are just supposed to stand on the perimeter and pass the ball inside every single play? Jones, Ward, and Hughes are going to miss shots and they are going to commit turnovers but that is just part of being a guard and having the ball in your hands all the time. I thought Jones looked a lot better Friday and had a good game and I think Ward played his best game of the year, even though he only played about 2 quarters. I don't know if some of you guys are jealous of these guys or what? I really don't understand the hate? Hampton fans are supposed to support and take up for Hampton players and not put them down all the time. I know if I were one of these guys and knew what my supposedly own fans were saying, I would find somewhere else to go to school where maybe I would be appreciated. I think there are some other schools out there that would like to have them. If some of you idiots on this board would just learn to STFU when you have no clue about basketball, Hampton will be fine this year! -T Durden

I'm simply saying we need to change the defense up a little.Be prepared. It does not take a basketball genius to see that. Not bashing any player here, I love them all and still expect big things down the road from these kids.

> And if you want to call me an "idoit" or "uneducated" for having an opinion then that's your opinion.<

Go Dogs and God Bless.

You WERE bashing and I didn't come out and call you an idiot or uneducated but from reading your posts....yes you are both! Crawl back under a rock!

i see you understand basketball well.....i too understand the game and understand their reasoning for running the 1-3-1.....BUT, the man-up 'D' has worked alot better than has the 1-3-1 on certain teams....not all teams are a Unicoi or S Greene.....hey a 3-2 or match-up zone has worked well in the past also////these coaches, i believe, will figure it out and this team will make us very proud to be BULLDOGS....