William Blount at Sevier County

GovMan

August 21, @ Sevier County, the Governors and the Smoky Bears face off once again in what has become a great little series over the past few years.

Lots of unknowns concerning William Blount. After last year's dismal season, they've dropped off most everyone's radar. New coach, new system ... not a lot of time to put it in but a lot of experience and some pretty decent talent. It will be real interesting to see how they start off the year.

What about Sevier County? Some of you fans feel us in. I know they have been extremely strong on the 8th and 9th grade levels the past few years it seems. What can we look for from this year's edition of the Smoky Bears?

Looking forward to coming up there!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait to see how the Govs look this season.

Sevier County has always been a fun opening game and it's usually been pretty close. The Smoky Bears were improved last season, but I'm not sure how young that team was. If they bring a lot back they could be a dangerous team this year.

Hopefully WB has had time to get the hang of the new coach and system...I guess we'll see soon! I hope the players are as ready for the season to get here as I am :)

Week Zero is amidst.. About Sevier County well it has been relatively quite unlike usual. The only insight I have on the team was the defense is quite aggressive. About the players returning.

Same QB and an hard nosed RB.. They lost a handful of players from last yrs squad.

Overall view is that S.C. has a agressive defense and seem to have better chemistry this yr.

My last yrs prediction of this game was 24 to 14 S.C.

This yrs prediction is WB 17 S.C. 14 in Overtime.. :lol: GO BEARS!!!!!

It may changed the closer the season gets and the more I know about S.C. but right now I am trying to find all I can.. But will keep everyone informed. :lol:

Week Zero is amidst.. About Sevier County well it has been relatively quite unlike usual. The only insight I have on the team was the defense is quite aggressive. About the players returning.

Same QB and an hard nosed RB.. They lost a handful of players from last yrs squad.

Overall view is that S.C. has a agressive defense and seem to have better chemistry this yr.

My last yrs prediction of this game was 24 to 14 S.C.

This yrs prediction is WB 17 S.C. 14 in Overtime.. :lol: GO BEARS!!!!!

It may changed the closer the season gets and the more I know about S.C. but right now I am trying to find all I can.. But will keep everyone informed. :lol:

Thanks fsu...We will be waiting.... :lol:

tpoole12

Finally got my insight on this team.. :motorbike: They returned quite a few players and the reason for the lack of info they have not scrimmaged but have rather been in McCallie and the lineman have went to Deland Fl. to a camp. The Skill position players have been playing in a 7 on 7 in South Carolina. But Brewer from the paper says that he is very impressed with the team and the paper editor said not many teams who match up with S.C. will not know what to expect. I do know that the Defense seems to be very aggresive and good and Zach Flynn and the Receivers seem to be on the same page. But overall i am excited to see what this team can do from the Jamboree this Friday. And should have more info on some players.

Hey SCBear

Have you dropped of the earth? You are usually a good source of info.. You or any of you compadres give us a little info.. Have you scrimmaged? How did the Bears look? Who did you scrimmage? ect...

tpoole12

GO GOVS

Naw tpoole12, just waiting for a Gov's fan to start a thread on what has become a very enjoyable season opening rivalry. Must have missed this thread last week while perusing CoachT.

Anyway, as FSU has already pointed out this team has not scrimmaged outside of the McCallie camp so few have seen them in pads (including me). Therefor, the only information I can give you is based off of last years performances. What I do know is that we lost our best LB (Feezel), DLineman (Sutton) and most importantly our best all around play in Patrick Miller. From his WR position he led the team in Receiving Yards, TD's and as a CB led the team (and league) in Interceptions. To top it off he was a very solid place kicker. Probably one the best all around players SC has had since Cory Watson and Shane Kelly.

Last years team, while improved from the awful '07 team, was noticably weak in its Line Play. Even with Miller stretching the field we could not sustain any sort of run blocking. The D Line wasn't much better as we were consistently inconsistent stopping the other team's ground game. Science Hill, Campbell County and Bearden were especially cringe inducing efforts. Don't know what the problem was because individualy they looked alot better then the sum of their parts reflected in their performance. Maybe some of this has been corrected as some of the good news coming out of the McCallie camp was that coach Brewer specifically pointed out the O Line's impressive run and pass blocking. Time will tell.

On offense QB Zach Flynn returns and should improve on a very good season last year. He is not going to outrun too many people but he has a very good arm and a good presence in the pocket. Jr. Dakota Cogdill will be the featured TB. He will not be as fast as the graduated Tyler Thomas but he will provide a tougher, more aggressive running style who will not go down easy (rushed for about 180 yards against Karns). He will also be a threat catching the ball out of the backfield. Look also for the smaller, quicker Kel McCarter to give a nice change of pace. Already pointed out the loss of Miller but most of the WR corp returns intact so what they lack in big play potientel (and size) should be offset some in experience and numbers (for what it's worth they performed well in Dobyn-Bennets passing league without starting QB Flynn participating). I know I am forgetting some names but I believe that Matt Spangler is probably the best of this bunch. The one wildcard of the skill positions will be backup QB Danny Chastain. He is a good athlete who would come in and run the option some last year when a running threat was needed but he is also a fine wide receiver and has the potential to be our main playmaker as he will be utilized at different positions. The O line "appears" to be improved led by returning starters Zach Peppers and Ross "Hog" Heatherly. This is the biggest question mark of the offense cause if they perform like last years unit did then we will struggle moving the chains consistently again......plain and simple.

Defensively this group needs to be more consistent also. For whatever reason (chemistry, speed, quickness, formation?) last season the defense was up and down. One half they looked solid then the next half they were like a sieve. Too be honest, I don't know as much about the personnel on this side of the ball (especially the D Line) as graduation hit harder on this side of the ball but I can't believe that they will perform any worse.

Special teams is anyone's guess right now. Just hoping it will not be a repeat of the nightmare game like it was in WB's '06 win.

The main cause for optimism is that the core of this years team should be made up from their very good '07 Freshmen class who saw some action as Sophmores last year. Does their pedigree translate into more W's? That is the $6,000,000, question right now. By the way, did I ever say how much I hate this new realignment fiasco? I would much rather be in the Gov's region a hundred fold. Play the big boys and find out what you got. Being "strong armed" into playing smaller, non-competitive schools is a sham. :D

Hey SCBear

Have you dropped of the earth? You are usually a good source of info.. You or any of you compadres give us a little info.. Have you scrimmaged? How did the Bears look? Who did you scrimmage? ect...

tpoole12

GO GOVS

Naw tpoole12, just waiting for a Gov's fan to start a thread on what has become a very enjoyable season opening rivalry. Must have missed this thread last week while perusing CoachT.

Anyway, as FSU has already pointed out this team has not scrimmaged outside of the McCallie camp so few have seen them in pads (including me). Therefor, the only information I can give you is based off of last years performances. What I do know is that we lost our best LB (Feezel), DLineman (Sutton) and most importantly our best all around play in Patrick Miller. From his WR position he led the team in Receiving Yards, TD's and as a CB led the team (and league) in Interceptions. To top it off he was a very solid place kicker. Probably one the best all around players SC has had since Cory Watson and Shane Kelly.

Last years team, while improved from the awful '07 team, was noticably weak in its Line Play. Even with Miller stretching the field we could not sustain any sort of run blocking. The D Line wasn't much better as we were consistently inconsistent stopping the other team's ground game. Science Hill, Campbell County and Bearden were especially cringe inducing efforts. Don't know what the problem was because individualy they looked alot better then the sum of their parts reflected in their performance. Maybe some of this has been corrected as some of the good news coming out of the McCallie camp was that coach Brewer specifically pointed out the O Line's impressive run and pass blocking. Time will tell.

On offense QB Zach Flynn returns and should improve on a very good season last year. He is not going to outrun too many people but he has a very good arm and a good presence in the pocket. Jr. Dakota Cogdill will be the featured TB. He will not be as fast as the graduated Tyler Thomas but he will provide a tougher, more aggressive running style who will not go down easy (rushed for about 180 yards against Karns). He will also be a threat catching the ball out of the backfield. Look also for the smaller, quicker Kel McCarter to give a nice change of pace. Already pointed out the loss of Miller but most of the WR corp returns intact so what they lack in big play potientel (and size) should be offset some in experience and numbers (for what it's worth they performed well in Dobyn-Bennets passing league without starting QB Flynn participating). I know I am forgetting some names but I believe that Matt Spangler is probably the best of this bunch. The one wildcard of the skill positions will be backup QB Danny Chastain. He is a good athlete who would come in and run the option some last year when a running threat was needed but he is also a fine wide receiver and has the potential to be our main playmaker as he will be utilized at different positions. The O line "appears" to be improved led by returning starters Zach Peppers and Ross "Hog" Heatherly. This is the biggest question mark of the offense cause if they perform like last years unit did then we will struggle moving the chains consistently again......plain and simple.

Defensively this group needs to be more consistent also. For whatever reason (chemistry, speed, quickness, formation?) last season the defense was up and down. One half they looked solid then the next half they were like a sieve. Too be honest, I don't know as much about the personnel on this side of the ball (especially the D Line) as graduation hit harder on this side of the ball but I can't believe that they will perform any worse.

Special teams is anyone's guess right now. Just hoping it will not be a repeat of the nightmare game like it was in WB's '06 win.

The main cause for optimism is that the core of this years team should be made up from their very good '07 Freshmen class who saw some action as Sophmores last year. Does their pedigree translate into more W's? That is the $6,000,000, question right now. By the way, did I ever say how much I hate this new realignment fiasco? I would much rather be in the Gov's region a hundred fold. Play the big boys and find out what you got. Being "strong armed" into playing smaller, non-competitive schools is a sham. :roflol:

Well, we certainly hope the non-competitive schools like Morristown East, Morristown West (who owns an 11-3 record against Sevier), Jefferson County, and Seymour (who won 13-7 over the Bears last season) won't cause a lot of trouble for Sevier County. I realize the IMAC is not a murderer's row like District 4, but come on? Non-competitive? Sheesh...

:roflol: Hmmm , Not sure where you got you're stats from.. West and East's record of 11-3 over Sevier.

From my checking from present to 1997 you're prediction is not even close.

Seviers record against teams in this IMAC from 97 to present is 28-7.

And against Morristown teams this is what I have.

S.C. 42 Morr.East 22

S.C. 41 Morr.East 20

S.C. 21 Morr. East 14

S.C. 35 Morr. East 7

There is no where in there I see Morristown West and if i am accurate that is a 4-0 record against Morristown East..

But I think this will be a great conference and Morristown West will probably win this yr.

Best Luck to East and West this year and I hope all players stay healthy and perform wonderfully on the field.

http://www.hsfdatabase.com/tn_sevier2000.htm