Knox Co. Jamboree Thoughts

Farrigut looked awful it was bad i thought they would do better....to put it shortly i was shocked

I wouldn't say Farragut looked awful but they did struggle somewhat.

I think Webb showed everyone that they will have a solid team this year. Other than Webb's opening play which was a "hook & lateral" trick play that went 80 yards, Farragut's defense seemed to control Webb's offense. Webb's defense was able to slow Farragut down with very good plays made by the LBs.

In a real game Farragut would probably control the game and win. Webb should keep getting better and have a very good year. By the way, the RB that outran Farragut's defense on the trick play is a freshman.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about Webb's trick play to start off their game? I was honestly impressed. They looked good.

I agree that Webb looked pretty good against Farragut. This team has potential to be very good as long as they can stay healthy because as always with Webb, depth is non-existent. Webb needs to keep in mind that Farragut substituted quite a few kids into the game so it wasn't like they went against their #1s all night. Webb also substituted a few as well.

That trick play was out of character for Webb for sure... however, when you have a freshman with that kind of speed you're going to try and get him the ball any way you can.

Webb is back in the divison they belong and will compete for state title.

BIGTIME... you are right. Webb is back in the division they belong. With fewer than 200 boys in grades 9-12 they will now be competing against schools their own size. I agree that they should compete for a state title. That remains to be seen however as there is a lot of football to be played between now and then.

I was impressed with Powell. After losing K. Houston, I was anxious to see how they looked. I thought they looked very good and made Catholic look pretty weak. I have to admit I was not expecting that. I wasn't aware Powell wasn't playing their starting QB, which makes it even more impressive. I am sure that Catholic will regroup and have a fine year.

Webb had the play of the night on the hook and ladder play. The rest of the scrimmage they looked pretty good as well. Keeping in mind that Webb looked very suspect in the jamboree last year and really progressed, combined with them being in the smaller division, I believe they will have a very good season.

South Doyle has definitely taken a step since last year. IMO, that program is headed for improvement.

Bearden and Farragut both looked good to me, above average, and that will be a interesting match up later this season. Bearden sure brought their fans!

A-E did not impress me like I thought they would. Don't get me wrong, they have great athletes which I expected, but after reading some of the posts on the 2A-3A board, I expected them to be much more dominant. They've got a lot of work to do if they are going to challenge Alcoa as some of their fans believe.

Centrals offense looked very good to me. They can put some pressure on defenses with their QB and athletes around him and they execute their offense particularly well IMO.

Carter's 6-0 200lb RB looked to me like he could really wear on a defense through the course of 4 quarters. Grace looked surprisingly dangerous to me. They lost a lot of weapons to graduation, but they looked good on offense and defense IMO, and that halfback pass is only one of their "trick" plays I suspect.

West looked pretty good on offense. I think their fans are being too hard on their passing game. They were very close to completing a couple more. One bad drop, but the other drop in the endzone was influenced by the DB either getting a finger on it or at least making it a very difficult ball to catch. West's offense will develop IMO over the next few weeks and be fine. IMHO, I would be more worried about their pass defense. CAK threw all over them without their starting QB and rotating 3 QB's until the last series where the 3rd QB played exclusively. They looked very suspect to a passing attack IMO. CAK performed very well overall. They need to stretch the field more which will come with the #1QB's return. Ball security was an issue for the RB's (as it was for many teams last night) but no matter how good of a back you are, if you can't hold on to the football it's not worth much.

Overall, a very entertaining night of HS football. Worth the price of admission.

So the #1 and 2 recievers (both starting DBs too), starting linebacker and the #2 runningback in the alternating RB scheme aren't big losses? For any offense thats a huge loss. Those aren't excuses, those are facts. That is not why they lost, but it would have helped to have their play-makers.

And in my post, nowhere did i say that Powell should have lost or anything like that. Powell was a good team and I think that Catholic might be a little to high up on their horse right now. Maybe in a full game they would have figured it out and gotten back into the game, but realistically it should have been 14-0 (without that penalty at the goal line) against catholic in the quarter. I would have liked to see catholics offense a little more. Maybe they could have put something good together but there were no real chances. What was it? 2 fumbles in 5 minutes? They didnt deserve to win the game. There's no making excuses. IS that clear enough?

Hopefully the irish will figure out what they need to to get back to their winning ways. What do you all think their problems were? What were they doing wrong?

Catholic started out season getting beat in almost all their scrimmages too. Coach P in the last 4 years never lost a scrimmage to a 5A opp. He went against Halls, Powell, West every year preseason and smashed them. When the adminstration starts running off the good coaches, this is the type of stuff you see, like you did last night

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Ya and if you put Fulton in just on pass plays it becomes a noticeable trend which teams will pick up on. And I dunno if you saw spring scrimmages but Baylosis was our biggest passing threat he wasn't dropping anything then trust me on this one he'll be fine. Plus when Gyebison gets healthy then we will have Fulton, Baylosis, and Gyb in our 3 WR sets. That's pretty tough to stop if they can catch the ball.

Well you are right i guess... and stephen gybeson that kid can play they be on a whole nother level when he returns from his injury on both offense and defense. How do you think the west pass defense is looking this year for both corners and safeties

So overall who does everyone think played well from each team? Any big surprise players? This should be a very exciting year in east TN...

Caleb Blance's younger brother looked really good. Also a corner from west looked like he has good coverage i think his names miller but im not sure. centrals ground game looked pretty good and there was alot of disappointments.