Remind me again about who can recruit ...

dirkdiggler

Since they are in Division I, CAK and Catholic cannot pay tuition for athletes. Webb can, since they are in Division II. Whether or not Webb does, I don't know; I imagine they do for some athletes at least, but I don't know for sure.

No TSSAA school (Division I or Division II) is allowed to recruit. Whether or not any do is up for debate (See the Brentwood Academy vs. TSSAA saga for more information). Catholic has received quite a few accusations of recruiting over recent years, but I've yet to see any real evidence that this has actually occurred. Telling these accusers to send in their evidence to the TSSAA generally quiets these people down.

If Knoxville Webb has need-based financial aid and I believe they do, this would be extended to any athlete that qualified under the guidelines, it is not guided by whether you play sports or not. If Knoxville Catholic recruits, then they cannot offer any financial aid to an athlete due to being in Div I, so someone would have to pay the tuition and cost of going to school there or the athlete's parents would have to pay in total, They may have that kind of fan base or appeal to go to those lengths to get a player, but at any private school Div I or Div II, if a private individual pays for a kid through the athlete's parents, nobody would know unless they had loose lips, this has occurred in the past, but don't waste your time asking me to name someone, its in the past and I won't name anyone. For both public and private, honesty and integrity is hoped for, because it is virtually impossible for the TSSAA to monitor all the schools in the state of Tennessee. There has to be an assumption that schools are honest the majority of the time, that is probably true, but sometimes there will be dishonest people both public and private. We all live in the same world, this is nothing new. But your original question, the answer has always been, no recruiting no matter your classification period. :roflol:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since they are in Division I, CAK and Catholic cannot pay tuition for athletes. Webb can, since they are in Division II. Whether or not Webb does, I don't know; I imagine they do for some athletes at least, but I don't know for sure.

No TSSAA school (Division I or Division II) is allowed to recruit. Whether or not any do is up for debate (See the Brentwood Academy vs. TSSAA saga for more information). Catholic has received quite a few accusations of recruiting over recent years, but I've yet to see any real evidence that this has actually occurred. Telling these accusers to send in their evidence to the TSSAA generally quiets these people down.

i wllhave to say this for Catholic. One of the situations was,IMO, and parent situation which seemed that information might not be provided. things like that happen and humans do make mistakes. Internally they took care of it and it was over.h

Dirk, name schools names and situations. The biggest situation is the State with everyone is Middle School piracy. Between publics and publics, privates and publics and privates and privates. With the economy as it is, pirates in the summer are every where and if complaints are there this time of the year, its likely where its coming from.

Its time for the coaching profession to get proactive with their schools as far as education is concerned. Outwardly being concerned with kids, parents, and the school principals with meetings and goals makes a strong statement. If a kid and his parent does not respond to that he or she is better somewhere else. Losing players means the coach AND his staff and school needs to self analyze the program and find out what the problem was and if it was recruitment, go after the school recruiting. Right now you and the school are finding this out 3 weeks too late and maybe before that. Whether its at an AAU situation that players all want to go to one school and other situations players want to go to the same school and are not zoned to go there, Coaches have to keep up with their parents and players during the schools sign up time. Likely some of these coaches may have found a chink in their own armour that needs to be addressed. The parent is going to have to pay the bill and maybe the coach is going to have to learn how to sell his/her school and fight for resolving what's wrong with it. By the way, Principals want these things resolved for their school.

When a bad program suddenly starts getting 2-3 players transferring in from several different schools, something is going on.

Do I have proof? Not at all.

But it didn't take proof to see that Barry Bonds was taking something illegal. I mean, c'mon.

And as far as proof is concerned, it takes ridiculous measures to prove to the state that recruiting is going on.

In the Knoxville area, has Catholic received any more accusations than say Bearden basketball, Farragut & Anderson County baseball or Maryville & Alcoa for football? All six named certainly know how to beat the system.

Yeah, you're right. I didn't exactly get the answer I was looking for (a cut and dry one). LOL

I've talked to several coaches in Knox County (middle and high) and they're frustrated with losing so many players to the private schools.

I'll leave it at that.

Well here is one of the misconceptions regarding this whole debate. Next time you talk to one of those coaches tell them that those kids never belonged to them in the first place so they were never theirs to lose in the first place. That IMO is the reason for most all the angst between public and private. Public school coaches like Rankin seem to think they own the rights to kids in their district. The truth is these kids have choices. They don`t BELONG to any school. Those Knox County coaches you referred to need to know that just because a kid lives within their schools zoning boundaries does not bind them to attending their school. Home school, private school, magnet school....these kids and their parents get to choose.

Oh please...they're ZONED for a certain high school. They are SUPPOSED to go to that high school. That's why they call the middle schools "feeder schools" for the high schools. If you didn't have zones then kids could go to whatever school they wanted to which would be mass chaos and simply wouldn't work.

Honestly the best solution to the whole recruiting problem is to say there are no rules against it. If you're going to put a rule in place and nobody is there to police it, what's the point?

Sort of like the "no practicing" rule for right now. Only supposed to be conditioning....no coaching going on. Who is going to enforce it? Nobody. That's why teams are practicing 4-5 days a week right now and the coach is instructing/teaching/coaching.

I believe other states clarify the conditioning rule by saying you can't step on the basketball floor until late October. Don't touch a basketball.

This "honor system" that we use for coaches? Absolutely a joke.

DD, I'm afraid VG is right and the chaos you see is there. Its called freedom of choice and no one can object to that BUT go back up to where I posted 4-5 posts back and if your Coaches need to protect middle School kids from magnets, privates, etc., they have the same opportunities to do things as their competitors, legally nothing, but being around and being seen in the community, organizing parent groups and being concerned and if their school is not up to par, being proactive to its betterment. Whats wrong with that? You can't be a policeman in this case unless you go to the police academy and thats a respected vocation.

• 1 month later...
Technically, no one can "recruit". The difference between D1 and D2 is whether or not the school offers financial aid to athletes. So a school like David Lipscomb here in Nashville can give a student a break on tuition, but that student can't play sports. While a school like Brentwood Academy can let that same student play sports.

As for the recruiting, coaches/boosters can't show up to a middle school and offer a kid a scholarship. However, if an athlete comes to them first (at a camp or something), then they can offer a scholarship. It is almost impossible to police and that is why people get so bent out of shape.

Big Respect for David Lipscomb...shows their #1 priority is education...at a school...what a concept!

Technically, no one can "recruit". The difference between D1 and D2 is whether or not the school offers financial aid to athletes. So a school like David Lipscomb here in Nashville can give a student a break on tuition, but that student can't play sports. While a school like Brentwood Academy can let that same student play sports.

As for the recruiting, coaches/boosters can't show up to a middle school and offer a kid a scholarship. However, if an athlete comes to them first (at a camp or something), then they can offer a scholarship. It is almost impossible to police and that is why people get so bent out of shape.

Big Respect for David Lipscomb...shows their #1 priority is education...at a school...what a concept!

Interesting statement about Lipscomb about Big Respect. Father Ryan's number one priority is the very same, education and the building of the total person. Ryan does not give financial aid based on whether you play sports or not, but gives it for the only legitimate reason there is, need based. Ryan does not punish a student or family based on whether a child happens to play sports or not. While I respect David Lipscomb as a school as well, my respect is not based on who financial aid is given to. Whether you give financial aid or not, there are many ways to go around the system if you so desire. So as always, it comes down to honesty and integrity, if you have it, you do the right thing, if you don't, you do something else. :roflol: PS, some of the earlier posts talking about raiding middle schools, etc, are biased and uninformed, those kind of posts also lump all private schools into one big bag, which is simply not true especially concerning Catholic schools which have middle schools across the state. I strongly suspect that any private school in the whole state does not spend alot of time attempting to raid middle schools. The big lineman attending Ensworth stated it clearly, if he remained at Mt Pleasant, there was a strong possibility that he would not play football beyond high school. (His grades were bad at Mt Pleasant) But after being helped by Ensworth, he may have the opportunity to play pro ball and most certainly will qualify for any college that recruits him. So THERE are other reasons to attend private schools besides sports as this case clearly demostrates. :roflol: PSS Many posters posted or strongly implied that Ensworth recruited this player in the past, but unless he and his father are both liars, this is not the case. Its never as simple as public-private-sports.