Trousdale County @ Mayfield, KY......

This match-up is the opening game of a double-header on the campus of Graves County High School in Mayfield, Ky Saturday night August 29th.....It is called The Alliance Bowl...The game will played in Graves Co's practically new stadium at 6:00 PM..The stadium opened three years ago....The night-cap will see Trigg County playing the host Eagles at 8:15 PM....

In the 1-A Cardinals, the Yellow Jackets will face one of the most storied football programs in the state of Kentucky....Mayfield has been involved in 14 State Championship games, winning 7 titles....The Cardinals are coming off a season in which they reached the 3rd round of the play-offs but finished with an uncharacteristic 7-6 record...This season, expectations are much higher as most of their fans are making reservations for a state championship appearance in Bowling Green in early December....The Cardinals return 7 starters on offense and 6 on defense....Offensively the Cards run a combination of the I-formation and Tony Franklin's spread offense which means they are balanced between the running and passing games....This is proven in the fact they return QB Luke Guhy (6'1 160 Jr) who was 145-261 for 2,117 yards and 21 TD's last season..They also return running back Tyrese Murrell (5'7 165 Sr) who is bringing with him much experience...This is Murrell's fourth year as a starter..He has started 41 games with 10 of those being play-off games...He rushed for 1,130 yards on 200 carries and scored 13 TD's last season...For his career, Murrell has rushed for 2,797 yards and scored 27 TD's...He has also accumulated 328 yards receiving and scored 5 TD's catching the football...Speaking of receiving, the Cardinals return Xavier Shelton (6'2 170 Sr) who with his size can go up and over smaller DB's and with his speed can run by you...Shelton caught 51 passes last season for 802 yards and scored 7 TD's...Another receiver to watch for is Javarus Richardson (6'1 190 Jr) another big target who had 30 receptions last season for 364 yards and 4 TD's....The O-Line is anchored by Carlos Parrott (5'10 260) at center..Beside him at the guard slots are Hunter Kingston (6'2 240 Jr) and Scott Leet (6'2 190 Jr)... At the tackle positions you have Taylor Sullivan (6'1 230 Jr) and Jantzen Jones (6'3 275)...The Cards as a team scored 368 points last season...Not really alot for 13 games....Defensively, the Cardinals are looking to become more physical than a season ago where they allowed 305 points....The Cardinals run a 4-3 defense...They return Matt Shultz (5'10 195 Sr) at middle LB who recorded 91 stops as a junior and Richardson who had 86 tackles...Mayfield is coached by Joe Morris who in 9 seasons at the school is 101-37...The Cardinals are coming off a win on the road at 6-A Marshall County, KY..I believe the score was 43-14..Guhy passed for 250+ yards and Murrell rushed for 160+ yards...The Cards raced out to a 37-0 haltime lead and never looked back....

This will be a game that I have had marked on my calender since last season....I'll be there watching two storied programs battling it out in the Bluegrass State....

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we jackets have a lil history of our own. played @ mayfield in 1999 in what can only be described as a "torrential down pour". close ball game pitting a sledge hammer power I vs. a stab and slash wing T. we had won the toss and elected to defer till the second half and started the 1st qtr kicking off. before the first play the refs had covered the ball with a towel to keep it dry and someone on our team stated that "you kentucky stripes are ok." to which one replied, "you boys will like us, we'll be talking and joking with yall all night" then one of our db's replied, "we didn't ride a bus for 4 hours to tell jokes, we came here to kick some arse!!!" the score at the half was in the neighbor hood of 7-6, although that may be off a pt or so, i could be mistakened(to much rain, couldn't see the score board for the rain and mud and the fact that their fans parked their cars behind the endzones and would give us the highbeams as we drove towards them!! :thumb: ) before we went out for the second half, the ole ball coach grabbed our captains and said "go out there and tell them we'll kick it to em again!", i personally thought he was insane. mayfield had been building a mindset, during the halftime, of coming out and looking for a big stop on D, but when we gave em the ball and said, bring it some more, those bluegrass boys didn't know whether to smile, spit or... well you get the point. those guys never got past that crafty move. :thumb: at the time i thought coach was crazy, but by the end of the game he seemed like a sage. the final score was in the neighborhood of 12-7 with everyone's favorite yellow jackets pulln out the W. at the risk of sounding nostalgic, i have to say that night was one of my fondest memories from my time spent in what is the tradition of trousdale county football.

snoball...Am I correct in saying that the 99 game was part of a two year contract in which Mayfield went to Trousdale and won either in 98 or 00??....

I'm well aware of the Trousdale tradition, as are most fans on this site, but many folks in Tennessee aren't that familiar with teams from outside the state...Living here in West Tennessee, working in Mayfield, growing up hearing about the Cardinal football tradition (playing against them as well) and having a brother as the sports editor of the Mayfield paper, I know a little about Mayfield Cardinal football and was just wanting to give a little info to your fanbase...My brother wrote an article when the Alliance Bowl schedule was announced back earlier in the year and I posted it here on CoachT but I can't find it anywhere now..I'll try and get him to send it to me and I'll re-post it....

Last time I saw the Yellow Jackets I was sitting in Murfreesboro watching them dismantle my alma mater in the 2005 State Championship game...Looking forward to seeing this game...Should be a great one...

snoball...Am I correct in saying that the 99 game was part of a two year contract in which Mayfield went to Trousdale and won either in 98 or 00??....

I'm well aware of the Trousdale tradition, as are most fans on this site, but many folks in Tennessee aren't that familiar with teams from outside the state...Living here in West Tennessee, working in Mayfield, growing up hearing about the Cardinal football tradition (playing against them as well) and having a brother as the sports editor of the Mayfield paper, I know a little about Mayfield Cardinal football and was just wanting to give a little info to your fanbase...My brother wrote an article when the Alliance Bowl schedule was announced back earlier in the year and I posted it here on CoachT but I can't find it anywhere now..I'll try and get him to send it to me and I'll re-post it....

Last time I saw the Yellow Jackets I was sitting in Murfreesboro watching them dismantle my alma mater in the 2005 State Championship game...Looking forward to seeing this game...Should be a great one...

to my knowledge you are correct sir. 99 was my last year and i was in knoxville the fall of 00 so i didn't see the game. we greatly enjoyed our trip up there and enjoyed even more a slobberknocker of a game with a very hardnosed football team.

who was the big heavy set running back they had in 99? they were dressed in solid red and we had them pinned back in their own endzone, when i stepped to the line of scrimmage i briefly thought, "this play could end up a safety if things go our way". well, the tightend blocked down and i shed an on-coming guard, right at the goal-line, and when i looked up i coulda swore that big red guy from the kool-aid commercials came out of the endzone, ran right over me, and yelled, "Oh YEAH!!" :thumb: he didn't run far, but he ran over me that play!! :thumb:

i read that article when you first put it up and thought it was very well done. :thumb:

This match-up is the opening game of a double-header on the campus of Graves County High School in Mayfield, Ky Saturday night August 29th.....It is called The Alliance Bowl...The game will played in Graves Co's practically new stadium at 6:00 PM..The stadium opened three years ago....The night-cap will see Trigg County playing the host Eagles at 8:15 PM....

In the 1-A Cardinals, the Yellow Jackets will face one of the most storied football programs in the state of Kentucky....Mayfield has been involved in 14 State Championship games, winning 7 titles....The Cardinals are coming off a season in which they reached the 3rd round of the play-offs but finished with an uncharacteristic 7-6 record...This season, expectations are much higher as most of their fans are making reservations for a state championship appearance in Bowling Green in early December....The Cardinals return 7 starters on offense and 6 on defense....Offensively the Cards run a combination of the I-formation and Tony Franklin's spread offense which means they are balanced between the running and passing games....This is proven in the fact they return QB Luke Guhy (6'1 160 Jr) who was 145-261 for 2,117 yards and 21 TD's last season..They also return running back Tyrese Murrell (5'7 165 Sr) who is bringing with him much experience...This is Murrell's fourth year as a starter..He has started 41 games with 10 of those being play-off games...He rushed for 1,130 yards on 200 carries and scored 13 TD's last season...For his career, Murrell has rushed for 2,797 yards and scored 27 TD's...He has also accumulated 328 yards receiving and scored 5 TD's catching the football...Speaking of receiving, the Cardinals return Xavier Shelton (6'2 170 Sr) who with his size can go up and over smaller DB's and with his speed can run by you...Shelton caught 51 passes last season for 802 yards and scored 7 TD's...Another receiver to watch for is Javarus Richardson (6'1 190 Jr) another big target who had 30 receptions last season for 364 yards and 4 TD's....The O-Line is anchored by Carlos Parrott (5'10 260) at center..Beside him at the guard slots are Hunter Kingston (6'2 240 Jr) and Scott Leet (6'2 190 Jr)... At the tackle positions you have Taylor Sullivan (6'1 230 Jr) and Jantzen Jones (6'3 275)...The Cards as a team scored 368 points last season...Not really alot for 13 games....Defensively, the Cardinals are looking to become more physical than a season ago where they allowed 305 points....The Cardinals run a 4-3 defense...They return Matt Shultz (5'10 195 Sr) at middle LB who recorded 91 stops as a junior and Richardson who had 86 tackles...Mayfield is coached by Joe Morris who in 9 seasons at the school is 101-37...The Cardinals are coming off a win on the road at 6-A Marshall County, KY..I believe the score was 43-14..Guhy passed for 250+ yards and Murrell rushed for 160+ yards...The Cards raced out to a 37-0 haltime lead and never looked back....

This will be a game that I have had marked on my calender since last season....I'll be there watching two storied programs battling it out in the Bluegrass State....

This was a great article alot of good information 101-37 in 9 seasons great record. I really enjoyed reading this about KY teams. I knew a little about Mayfield that they had won 7 titles. I didn't know they played in 14 title games. Weren't they 2a at one time? The Mayfield and Milan coach are cousins correct. Great job on all the input! :popcorneater:

Snoball, "torrential downpour" is right. I was there also. Wore a rain suit & still was soaked to the hide.

Still remember Coach Clint doing that belly slide in the mud & water after the game.

In '99 TC won 12 - 7 @ Mayfield.....in 2000, Mayfield won 42 - 21 @ Trousdale.

The Jackets were in 1A in 99, 2000...went 12-2, 7 -5 respectively. Went to 3A in 2001..12 -2.

8 state titles for the Jackets, 3 runnersup.

Lot of tradition between these two clubs. Should be another barn burner.

This was a great article alot of good information 101-37 in 9 seasons great record. I really enjoyed reading this about KY teams. I knew a little about Mayfield that they had won 7 titles. I didn't know they played in 14 title games. Weren't they 2a at one time? The Mayfield and Milan coach are cousins correct. Great job on all the input! :thumb:

Yes, they are cousins....They usually scrimmage each other in the spring or before the season starts...Yes, they were 2A at one time....Not only have they made 14 state title games, they have made it to at least the semi-finals 10 other times...Also, they are 9th nationally in all-time wins...

This was a great article alot of good information 101-37 in 9 seasons great record. I really enjoyed reading this about KY teams. I knew a little about Mayfield that they had won 7 titles. I didn't know they played in 14 title games. Weren't they 2a at one time? The Mayfield and Milan coach are cousins correct. Great job on all the input! :thumb:

Yes, they are cousins....They usually scrimmage each other in the spring or before the season starts...Yes, they were 2A at one time....Not only have they made 14 state title games, they have made it to at least the semi-finals 10 other times...Also, they are 9th nationally in all-time wins...

I thought they were kin but wasn't sure. That is just amazing the number of wins 9th in the nation in wins. That is plain old dedication to the game thats way they are so good year in and out. TC i know also has a great tradition this will be a classic. It will be well worth the price of admission once again i say a great article. Should be a hard fought battle good luck to both teams !!! :evil:

I found the original article abut the Alliance Bowl Match-Ups....

A New Alliance: Tennessee power highlights revamped bowl event

Thursday, March 19, 2009 at 12:37am

(Originally published in The Mayfield Messenger on Tuesday, March 3, 2009)

By KEVIN WEAKS

Messenger Sports Editor

Mayfield and Graves County are going to kick off their new Alliance with a bang.

Now jointly in control of the Jackson Purchase Alliance Bowl with Marshall County moving on to pursue other interests, the two local schools are bringing in two strong programs for the annual football event.

The Alliance Bowl, which goes to a two-game, one-day schedule this year, will be played Saturday, Aug. 29, at Graves County’s stadium.

Mayfield, one of Kentucky’s — and the nation’s — most tradition-rich football programs, will take on a Tennessee school that can match it state championship for state championship.

Graves, meanwhile, will face a team a little closer to home that has built up a pretty good program in its own right.

The Cardinals will open the event against Trousdale County at 6 p.m., and Graves will play Trigg County at 8:15. Both incoming teams have committed to the event for two years, meaning Graves will play Trousdale and Mayfield will face Trigg in 2010.

“We’re excited,” Graves County athletic director R.B. Mays said. “We think this can be a great annual event for Mayfield and Graves County. We started it with the idea of putting on something that would be good for football. We have good quality teams coming in. And, by moving to a Saturday, it will give fans from throughout the area the opportunity to come watch us after following their own teams on Friday.”

The move to Saturday is also beneficial for Trousdale County and its large fan following, which will be coming in from eastern Tennessee.

And, while Trousdale might not have been the first choice for the bowl organizers, it might turn out to be the best choice for fans of traditional football powers.

“Honestly, we wanted a school a little closer,” said Mayfield athletic director and football head coach Joe Morris. “We tried really hard to get Union City but couldn’t get them. I called Mr. Mays, and we started looking on the internet for teams that needed a game that weekend. We just lucked up on Trousdale County.”

Anyone who likes solid football programs will be the lucky ones.

Trousdale comes in on the heels of a 15-0, Class 1A state championship season. The Yellowjackets graduated just nine players off last year’s 43-player roster and will bring back some of the key components of that perfect run.

In the Purple and Gold’s run-oriented offense, which piled up over 3,800 yards on the ground last year, Tacola Seay rushed for 919 yards and 13 touchdowns on 118 carries while also catching 13 passes for 397 yards and four TDs. He also returned a punt for a score.

Tyler Edwards had 820 yards and 12 TDs on 120 rush attempts and returned a kickoff 93 yards for a score.

Brent Ford, a 1A Mr. Football Lineman finalist, had 53 tackles, including eight for a loss and seven sacks, from his defensive line spot. At tight end, he caught just five passes, but they went for 91 yards and four were scores.

Trousdale County has, like Mayfield, won seven state championships, six of those since 1990. The ’Jackets were also 15-0 in 2005 and 1997 and 14-0 in 1990.

“No question, it will be a challenge,” Morris said. “Playing them will make us a better team.”

The two programs have a history with each other, too. They played in 1999 and 2000, each winning on the other’s home field.

Trigg, meanwhile, has built a solid program over the years.

The Wildcats put four players on the All-West Kentucky Conference team with head coach Shannon Burcham earning co-Coach of the Year honors from Class 2A, District 1.

The ’Cats are 81-29 in the decade of the 2000s, advancing to the state playoffs each year. Trigg was 10-3 with a spot in the quarterfinals in 2006 and also won 10 games in 2004, 2001 and 2000.

The new format is streamlined from the previous years, which will be economically beneficial for everyone involved.

In the past, with three teams hosting, the event needed a fourth game to have back-to-back doubleheaders, meaning five teams were getting a paycheck to play. Now, just two schools are getting paid to come in, allowing the bowl to increase the payout to those schools.

Additionally, with Mayfield and Graves serving as hosts, a significant portion of the money generated by the event will stay in the community.

“Now that it’s ours every year, we can do more things to promote and enhance the games within the community,” Mays said. “We want to be something that adds to the community, not drains from it.

“And, Mayfield and Graves are good for each other’s economies.”

The scheduling of the site each year has also been taken into consideration to benefit both local schools.

Each year from now on, the team that hosts the Alliance Bowl will be the visiting team in the annual Mayfield-Graves mid-season game. That way, both teams will play on the other’s home field every season.

This year, Mayfield will host the game on Sept. 18.