SCORES----and a little comment!!!!!

h2odog

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's an article from the Commercial Appeal on the Germantown (2) - Collierville (1) game.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/20 ... ps-cville/

Great game! Collierville had more scoring opportunities, but the Germantown defense did a great job at keeping the ball out of the net. Collierville graduated three strong starting defenders last year whose cleats are proving hard to fill.

It was a great match the first half. 0 to 0 at halftime.

Correct.

Unfortunately for Franklin, their keeper was involved with a one v one collision after a save during the first half.

I'd change "after" to read "during"

The BHS player charged her at full speed after the save was made and in the collision the keeper took an elbow to the temple and a cleat to the knee.

The Franklin keeper and BHS forward were both charging at full speed for the ball, the keeper winning the footrace, unfortunately coming off worse in the resulting collision.

Franklin's keeper tried to return to the field at second half but began to vomit and was helped off. Word is concussion and will be out for a week. Franklin's second keeper came in and BHS scored twice within a matter of minutes.

Correct. Brentwood scored in the 47th and 48th minute.

Ref's did not control the game, which is necessary when two rivals such as these two schools play.

How so?

The BHS player should have gotten at least a yellow, but nothing was called.

I'm assuming you are referring back to the keeper/forward collision? A foul was called IIRC. Why yellow? How would a caution have prevented the injury?

This discussion reminds me of an ND vs. Centennial game that was perhaps my scarriest moment in 15 years of soccer. On 8/26/06 (I looked it up), ND had been up 2-0, but Centennial had tied it up, and it was hard fought game on both sides. Just before the half, the ND goalie and Anna Fisher of Centennial (now at UTK) both went for a ball. They struck, and Anna went flying up in the air and game down on her head/neck. I thought at the time that she might have broken her neck. An ambulance was immediately summoned, and even drove out on the field (if I remember correctly). Play was stopped, and it never resumed. Everybody on the field and in the stands was stunned. After 5 or 10 minutes, the ref pulled out their yellow card and carded the ND goalie. While it was an unfortunate accident, I didn't believe it deserved a card, and I thought that Anna's dad was a class act as he stopped and spoke to the ND goalie before leaving for the hospital. He told her that he knew it wasn't intentional and that things like this happen in soccer.

For me, bottom line, as long as somebody is going for the ball, and it truely was a 50/50 situation, there should be no card. There are plenty times that a card might be appropriate, though, so I'll leave it to the officials at the game to make the call. That somebody was injuried should have no bearing on whether or not a card is appropiate.