Rankings Week 2 For 8/30-9/7

mjuhb

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well you can't count every time the goalie touches the ball has a save which is probably what happened

Exactly.....keepers can make a lot of plays without being credited for a save. Also a shot that hits the crossbar is a shot, not a shot on goal. Basically a shot on goal is either a save or a score. A keeper punching out a corner kick in all likely hood is not a save, but can be a great play. A slow roller that can easily be picked up is seldom counted as a save in my book. Some of the 'scoring' of the keeper is subjective, just like ruling a hit vs. and an error, but I wish there was more continuity in the stats.

Agree that SM should be stronger this year vs ND. With a 3-0 record, home advantage and motivation to avenge last year's meeting, SM should come out strong. Still, ND has at least ten players - starters and subs - who can and do score regularly. With a strong center midfield and a swift defensive line, ND will press SM hard in their backfield. I'll go with 5-0 ND.

I am going with a 4 -1 ND win, with SM scoring a late goal.

Another topic on this board was talking about 8th grade eligibility. In the ND vs SM game last year, a SM 8th grader suffered a serious injury to one of her growth plates. She has recovered, thankfully, but I am in the camp that thinks 8th graders should just wait one more year. I do not understand the logic of just because a middle school is on the same campus that 8th graders can play. It is a safety issue for me.

well you can't count every time the goalie touches the ball has a save which is probably what happened

Exactly.....keepers can make a lot of plays without being credited for a save. Also a shot that hits the crossbar is a shot, not a shot on goal. Basically a shot on goal is either a save or a score. A keeper punching out a corner kick in all likely hood is not a save, but can be a great play. A slow roller that can easily be picked up is seldom counted as a save in my book. Some of the 'scoring' of the keeper is subjective, just like ruling a hit vs. and an error, but I wish there was more continuity in the stats.

You guys are correct on shot definition. I keep the stats for my daughter team and we define a shot as being "on frame" which means that the end result is either a save or a goal. Typically a shot has to occur within the "18" unless it is a direct kick off of a foul which is put "on goal". We do count punches out of the "6" as saves when they are served into the "6" off of corner kicks, crosses, or direct kicks. This should be consistent with college scoring. If the goal keeper comes out of frame (goal) to receive a ball, it is not a save, a good play yes but not a save. Also, balls where the keeper clears the ball out of the "18" are not counted as saves either. 40 saves is almost impossible (a shot every 2 minutes) unless one team so totally dominated the other that the ball hardly ever crossed mid field.

44 shots that were all on goal! Wow! Congratulations to the Franklin County keeper for making 41 saves - or perhaps you are counting total shots. Sounds like SM has EHS challenge, lack of finishing. Our finishing % was in the dumps last night as well. Girls had tired legs, though...only one sub because of illness and injury. 21 EHS shots to ERHS' 1

EHS- That score is suprising, from what I saw last weekend and from what East Ridge has traditionally been like, I would have thought a higher outcome for you all for sure, but a win is a win......Hope everyone gets well...hopefully you all have not have caught some of the IRISH Syndrome that has plagued us this year (We may have to put an orthopedic surgeon on retainer due to all of the players we have out right now, our sideline looks like a MASH unit)

D :lol:

It was surprising for me as well - even with one sub I thought it would be a 5-0 or 6-0 game. EHS just could not find the back of the net. Score could have easily been 4-0 or 5-0 at half. EHS legs definetely got tired with no subs as the game wore on. But as you said, a win is a win. I think that EHS is looking forward to getting everyone healthy and moving on. Heard that Coach M gave the girls Friday off to get healthy.

Good job to ERHS for battling to the end. They have 4-5 soccer players that could be dangerous if the team was more organized.

You guys are correct on shot definition. I keep the stats for my daughter team and we define a shot as being "on frame" which means that the end result is either a save or a goal. Typically a shot has to occur within the "18" unless it is a direct kick off of a foul which is put "on goal". We do count punches out of the "6" as saves when they are served into the "6" off of corner kicks, crosses, or direct kicks. This should be consistent with college scoring. If the goal keeper comes out of frame (goal) to receive a ball, it is not a save, a good play yes but not a save. Also, balls where the keeper clears the ball out of the "18" are not counted as saves either. 40 saves is almost impossible (a shot every 2 minutes) unless one team so totally dominated the other that the ball hardly ever crossed mid field.

My point exactly. I don't think the Franklin County keeper had 40 "saves".

44 shots that were all on goal! Wow! Congratulations to the Franklin County keeper for making 41 saves - or perhaps you are counting total shots. Sounds like SM has EHS challenge, lack of finishing. Our finishing % was in the dumps last night as well. Girls had tired legs, though...only one sub because of illness and injury. 21 EHS shots to ERHS' 1

EHS- That score is suprising, from what I saw last weekend and from what East Ridge has traditionally been like, I would have thought a higher outcome for you all for sure, but a win is a win......Hope everyone gets well...hopefully you all have not have caught some of the IRISH Syndrome that has plagued us this year (We may have to put an orthopedic surgeon on retainer due to all of the players we have out right now, our sideline looks like a MASH unit)

D :thumb:

It was surprising for me as well - even with one sub I thought it would be a 5-0 or 6-0 game. EHS just could not find the back of the net. Score could have easily been 4-0 or 5-0 at half. EHS legs definetely got tired with no subs as the game wore on. But as you said, a win is a win. I think that EHS is looking forward to getting everyone healthy and moving on. Heard that Coach M gave the girls Friday off to get healthy.

Good job to ERHS for battling to the end. They have 4-5 soccer players that could be dangerous if the team was more organized.

EHS...Please, Please don't get caught up in with Notre Dame folks, thinking that you must beat every opponent by 5 or 6 goals for it to be a successful outing.

CAUTION...You are entering the ND spin zone. :thumb:

D :thumb:

EHS...Please, Please don't get caught up in with Notre Dame folks, thinking that you must beat every opponent by 5 or 6 goals for it to be a successful outing.

CAUTION...You are entering the ND spin zone. :huh:

Fair enough and well said. Don't think that there is any fear of getting caught up in that particular frame of mind with it being our inaugural season. A win is a win :thumb: and a big step in the right direction. Just heard through the grapevine that players and coach were frustrated with the lack of finishing on that particular night.

MVM- 'Ouch' on the Notre Dame Spin....We took it easy on Soddy Daisy this year..... :oops: (HAHAHA)

Actually, if you simple add an 'R', your sentence is better:

EHS...Please, Please don't get caught up in with Notre Dame folks, thinking that you must beat every opponent by 5 or 6 goals for it to be a successful Routing.

ChatCannon- You stole my ND v SM prediction (see page 5)...

D :oops:

D :oops:

Nice "moral victory" for East Ridge.