Sullivan South v. Gate City, VA

jhilts

This is a great series for HS football in this area.

I also remember the Rodgers brothers and the GC dominance in their classification in the 70's. I seem to recall a scrimmage of GC - THS during the THS glory years (two state (btb) and onenational championship) where GC whipped the Vikings. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

It would be good to see more cross state series like this.

Someone brought this up last year and we seemed to have conflicting responses. One of the Viking players lived near my dad in the early 70s (this was maybe '70 or '71) he asked the kid about the scrimmage and he said that the Vikes won. In my opinion a scrimmage is really hard to gauge...I mean how many times do we hear that Seymour has defeated Maryville in a scrimmage or jamboree? A real matchup between Gate City and Tennessee High in 1970 probably would've been a treat to watch. 1971 or '72, however would've definately went to the Vikes.

NET/ SW VA had some good teams around that time: Mo' East in '69, Gate City in '70, Tennessee High in '70, '71, '72. Science Hill in '71 and Betsy in '72.

South should win this game..but do not underestimate the devils..they play a VERY physical brand of football over there..I mean they will knock the snot bubbles out of ya :ph34r: Plus Gate city is HARD place to win a game..if you know what I mean :popcorneater: The story I heard was THS 6-GC 0 in that scimmage from a couple old timers and GC actually sold tickets to it.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gate City there is a Severe storm heading your way...very strong...and very dangerous lightning.Its called REBEL NATION. :thumb::)

Hope Jordan gets back this week and gets to carry the rock. I'm ready to start reading his name in the paper like i knew i would. Good luck to the Rebels and kick the crap out of the "little devils". See ya'll in a couple weeks. Roll Tribe Roll...............

Gate City there is a Severe storm heading your way...very strong...and very dangerous lightning.Its called REBEL NATION. :):thumb:

Hope Jordan gets back this week and gets to carry the rock. I'm ready to start reading his name in the paper like i knew i would. Good luck to the Rebels and kick the crap out of the "little devils". See ya'll in a couple weeks. Roll Tribe Roll...............

Thanks, dbFAN91..Jordan is going to get some carries I don't know how much..I think Stacy is going to throw all his backs at Gate City (Clint,Wesley,Hubbard,Bobby and Jordan they all looked real good in practice this week.We might just beat them at their on game...anyhow good luck to the Indians and we are looking forward to our matchup with the Indians in three weeks...but right now we got some Blue Devils to go to battle with. Roll Rebel Nation !!!!!!!! Rebel fans we better get to the stadium around 5:00pm or we want get any seats..the gates open at 5:oo....I was told that Gate City fans were going to try to get all the seats. :)

I have been to some big games @ Gate City... The home side is all reserved (or almost all of it) and the real rowdy fans get to the stadium as soon as they open the gates and take up the visitors side, starting in the middle and going from there. One year I swear there was 8,000 people there, a Powell Valley game, and there wasn't 500 PV Fans in the stands. They were all lined up around field.

I wouldn't leave any kind of a Rebel Flag on your car or trucks either... they will be snapped in to and possibly burned.

Stomp a mud hole in 'em and be undefeated for the Tribe's visit, that's how we want it.

Well the South proponents are predicting a whitewash. And the Vuhginia people are like, "Well, we just hope, (sound of taking a swig of sweetwater from a mason jar) argggggh...that we can hang with ye' fer a bit...theh, heh, heh, heh.

I wouldn't mind having some solid information. How about it Quincy? Numbers honey, numbers. The Defense front 4 for example. Height, weight, speed...you know just the usual stuff. The O line. The backfield. The WR's...oh that's right, you don't throw the ball. The QB. Does the line still chew during the game? Any of your linemen married with children? And will you still have sweetwater for sale at the concession stand? :)

Well the South proponents are predicting a whitewash. And the Vuhginia people are like, "Well, we just hope, (sound of taking a swig of sweetwater from a mason jar) argggggh...that we can hang with ye' fer a bit...theh, heh, heh, heh.

I wouldn't mind having some solid information. How about it Quincy? Numbers honey, numbers. The Defense front 4 for example. Height, weight, speed...you know just the usual stuff. The O line. The backfield. The WR's...oh that's right, you don't throw the ball. The QB. Does the line still chew during the game? Any of your linemen married with children? And will you still have sweetwater for sale at the concession stand? :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Wow. If your boys were to show the same disrespect as you "adults", they could be eating those words.

Thankfully, your kids have alot more respect than that. Good luck to South.

Sorry Quincy. Just trying to lighten the board up a bit. Nothing personal. If you were to find Waco style humor in our part of the woods we would laugh along with you knowing it was all in jest. I guess we are a bit more weathered due to the fact we get it pretty hard from DB at times. but even from them it's all in fun. Truly I appologize for any disrespect I may have inflicted. We are very excited about coming to your place to play. I hope all goes well with no injuries.

Wow. If your boys were to show the same disrespect as you "adults", they could be eating those words.

Thankfully, your kids have alot more respect than that. Good luck to South.

Quincy, Comp was just poking fun at you. He is good people. Comp will give and take with the best of them. No harm intended. Trust me, GC has his respect. Looking forward to the fun tonight. Everyone be safe and let's pray for a good game, good atmosphere and no injuries.