DII AA Analysis Update

just_do_it

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be surprised if you see any Owl fans on here suggesting anything of the sort. Last year preseason and well into the season, all I read on here were discussions of whether it would be BA or MBA who'd bring home the gold ball. The MUS folks quietly waited, knowing the Owls had what it took. There's a lot of season yet to be played, and no one knows it any better than the MUS faithful. Go Owls!

Can someone please tell me where MUS plays home games at? Is it easy to get to from I 40 or I 240?

GO EAGLES!!!!

It's very easy...from I-40 get on I-240 to Jackson MS. Take the Poplar Ave East/Germantown exit. There are a couple of lights before you get to the Poplar/Ridgeway intersection...turn right onto Ridgeway (you'll go under the RR tracks), through the light at Park Ave and the MUS campus is on your left. Continue on until you get to the light at Primacy Parkway...a left turn there will take you directly onto the MUS campus. (Mapquest will take you to the front entrance on Park, but the Ridgeway entrance is the "main" one.) You can't miss the stadium...in fact, you'll see it before you get to the entrance. Even if you are a fan of the opposing team, consider sitting on the home side -- it's a beautiful venue, and you'll find the Owl fans are very welcoming.

Obviously EHS and MUS have separated themselves at the top of the league. I'm not sure what to make of Ryan at this point. They pick up what appears to be a quality win over BA but a loss to Overton (will probably take a good beating at Lipscomb) and blowing out a terrible Hillwood team don't say a lot.

Baylor appears much improved but not sure whether they belong in that top group yet. FRA and Tyner shouldn't even be on the schedule. Beating BGA is a step in the right direction but we'll see what happens when they get BA, MBA, McCallie, etc.

MBA is really an unknown at this point. New QB on offense, Griscom out for the year, DL looking prety thin right now. I think they still have the potential to give the rest of DII all they can handle.

In my point of view you have:

DII Middle/East:

EHS

BA

MBA

Baylor

McCallie

FRHS

BGA

The season is so young it will take time to see who belongs where....except for Ensworth and MUS. As for Tyner being on Baylor's schedule and that they should not even be there....you really don't know alot about Tyner then. They are having a down year for sure. But Tyner has been a strong football program for years and they play McCallie this Friday night as well. Baylor put a beating on Tyner and the other loss Tyner had was to Ooltewah who is ranked near the top of 5A football. It could very well be that Tyner is not bad but they have played a couple of top football teams....it is all how you look at it.

Obviously EHS and MUS have separated themselves at the top of the league. I'm not sure what to make of Ryan at this point. They pick up what appears to be a quality win over BA but a loss to Overton (will probably take a good beating at Lipscomb) and blowing out a terrible Hillwood team don't say a lot.

Baylor appears much improved but not sure whether they belong in that top group yet. FRA and Tyner shouldn't even be on the schedule. Beating BGA is a step in the right direction but we'll see what happens when they get BA, MBA, McCallie, etc.

MBA is really an unknown at this point. New QB on offense, Griscom out for the year, DL looking prety thin right now. I think they still have the potential to give the rest of DII all they can handle.

DII Middle/East:

EHS

BA

MBA

Baylor

McCallie

FRHS

BGA

The season is so young it will take time to see who belongs where....except for Ensworth and MUS. As for Tyner being on Baylor's schedule and that they should not even be there....you really don't know alot about Tyner then. They are having a down year for sure. But Tyner has been a strong football program for years and they play McCallie this Friday night as well. Baylor put a beating on Tyner and the other loss Tyner had was to Ooltewah who is ranked near the top of 5A football. It could very well be that Tyner is not bad but they have played a couple of top football teams....it is all how you look at it.

DII Middle/East:

EHS

BA

MBA

Baylor

McCallie

FRHS

BGA

Tyner has certainly had some good teams over the years (hard not to with Demonte Bolden) but their record is misleading. They're still a 2A school and have had limited historical success against teams from higher classifications. Just my opinion, but the DII teams should stick to scheduling what used to be 4A and 5A DI programs.

Unfortunately in the Chattanooga area most 4A and 5A programs will not schedule Baylor and McCallie. Tyner is one of the few that does this often. Red Bank's coach was quoted in last year's paper as saying he would not play Baylor....that they would have nothing to gain from it. Same stories with other top local high school football programs. East Ridge scheduled Baylor for two years but only if both games was played at ER. They needed the gate. This is why Baylor and McCallie have to play teams from out of state to fill the schedule. So when a team like Tyner steps up to play us it is great. So I don't know the answer....but it is certainly not that Baylor and McCallie would not like to play the local 4A and 5A powers. It would be wonderful to be able to establish more hometown rivalries but I don't see it happening.

by Redtwin » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:32 am

.Tyner has certainly had some good teams over the years (hard not to with Demonte Bolden) but their record is misleading. They're still a 2A school and have had limited historical success against teams from higher classifications. Just my opinion, but the DII teams should stick to scheduling what used to be 4A and 5A DI programs.

I know McCallie has tried to schedule the larger programs in the area but with little success. Most notably a couple of years ago both Ooltewah and ourselves had an open date on the same week...would have been awesome...did not happen. As I understand it, their principal at the time wouldn't sign off on the game even though their coach agreed. We got to travel to Charlotte they remained open.

Tyner has always stepped up to the plate and scheduled us even though we have a big win lead in the W/L column. They have always played us with class. We return there this Friday. I know they turned the ball over to Baylor around 5 times according to the box score. As to Baylor's return to prominence, I'll reserve my judgment until we meet.

Bluemom....I thought it was nice of jon26 to include McCallie along with Baylor (his school) when talking about why larger dominate local schools will not schedule us....so not sure why you always have to take a jab at Baylor at every chance you get.It sounds like since McCallie plays Tyner this week that you have to make excuses as to why Baylor beat Tyner so soundly. So to set the facts straight....Tyner lost the ball 4 times not 5 since they recovered one of their own fumbles. Baylor had 18 first downs to their 11. Outgained them 350 yards to 190 with Sam Williams on the sideline. It was a sound victory for Baylor. We appreciated Tyner scheduling us this year....they were gracious hosts. Should I reserve judgement on McCallie after you play Tyner and BGA head to head to see how you do? No, that is not for me to do. Why you continue to take swipes at Baylor is beyond me. As in other posts you always say it is just being friendly? Thank you jon26 for taking the high road for Baylor in your referencing McCallie in your post.

I know McCallie has tried to schedule the larger programs in the area but with little success. Most notably a couple of years ago both Ooltewah and ourselves had an open date on the same week...would have been awesome...did not happen. As I understand it, their principal at the time wouldn't sign off on the game even though their coach agreed. We got to travel to Charlotte they remained open.

Tyner has always stepped up to the plate and scheduled us even though we have a big win lead in the W/L column. They have always played us with class. We return there this Friday. I know they turned the ball over to Baylor around 5 times according to the box score. As to Baylor's return to prominence, I'll reserve my judgment until we meet.

I have noticed this also. Bluemom, I think your cockiness will come back to bite you this year. I was at the BGA game last Friday and was completely impressed with Baylor. I will reserve my judgement on McCallie after you visit BGA. :thumb: I have been very impressed with the Baylor fans that write on here. They are classy.

Baylor is happy to remain under the radar for now. We have not been really tested but that day will come very soon.

Bluemom: You seem to opt for the negative given a chance when it comes to Baylor. Why?