DII AA Analysis Update

just_do_it

I don't see MBA being that great a team this year. Struggled with Maplewood. Lost to Riverdale in the preseason, and got blown away by Ensworth. They'll be o.k. at best.

B.A. is unreliable, but they always make noise in the playoffs - if they make it this year (the Ryan loss hurts them)

Father Ryan is running on their Irish Luck. How you lose to Overton but beat BA is beyond me. They might make playoffs, but it's not their mandate to contest any of the bigger schools.

MUS will be the team to beat this year.

Ensworth might be the team to do it.

McCallie and Baylor? Far behind.

Other schools? What other schools?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McCallie mom you picked BGA to beat Baylor so maybe your judgement is not that good? And please stop with the excuses. If you saw the news coverage about the Tyner/Baylor game you know that it was clearly dominated. Turnovers play a part. But the over team plays a part in causing the team to turn the ball over. Your continued obsession with Baylor is really showing. Go Lions!

I know McCallie has tried to schedule the larger programs in the area but with little success. Most notably a couple of years ago both Ooltewah and ourselves had an open date on the same week...would have been awesome...did not happen. As I understand it, their principal at the time wouldn't sign off on the game even though their coach agreed. We got to travel to Charlotte they remained open.

Tyner has always stepped up to the plate and scheduled us even though we have a big win lead in the W/L column. They have always played us with class. We return there this Friday. I know they turned the ball over to Baylor around 5 times according to the box score. As to Baylor's return to prominence, I'll reserve my judgment until we meet.

Thank you for the full box score for the Baylor/Tyner game. No, unfornuately, I miss most of the TV coverage for the Friday night games due to post game concession cleanup and/or travel home. I make no excuses by mentioning turnovers. That particular stat had just stuck in my mind as being a large number sorry I was off by one.

As to reserving judgment on any team, I would do so for anyone until I had seen them either in person or on film. Too often journalistic reports are incorrect and even eyewitness reports are skewed. My prediction of BGA winning was wrong. See my judgement and $2 will buy you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. It is simply my opinion, right or wrong.

I will attempt to refrain from any further negativity. Baylor has probably the most picturesque campus that I have seen. I look forward to seeing their new turf. They always seem to have a fleet of excellent athletes both football and swimming (the 2 sports I'm most familiar with). They do alot of things right. As to some of my negativity, it probably started several years ago with the red B's that were painted on my vehicle and has been compounded with less than sterling behavior on the part of overzealous students/fans both while I was a spectator, concession stand worker and simply a driver on the street. While those incidents are water under the bridge, some are hard to forget and impressions (right/wrong) are hard to change. I'm sure they probably have incidents of their own they can report. This is not meant to be an excuse, just an answer to the question of why. Emotions with this particular rivalry tend to run very high.

Bluemom, I have read your posts and have read the posts of others on these threads. You obviously have jabbed at your rival most every chance you have gotten and were called out by numerous posters...most from other schools. Private school rivalries can get intense for sure. I am quite sure for every story you can come up with that a Baylor person can top by some less than sterling behavior by McCallie fan and student. That is just the way it is. You just have chosen to air it on here and that is why you have gotten called out.

Thank you for the full box score for the Baylor/Tyner game. No, unfornuately, I miss most of the TV coverage for the Friday night games due to post game concession cleanup and/or travel home. I make no excuses by mentioning turnovers. That particular stat had just stuck in my mind as being a large number sorry I was off by one.

As to reserving judgment on any team, I would do so for anyone until I had seen them either in person or on film. Too often journalistic reports are incorrect and even eyewitness reports are skewed. My prediction of BGA winning was wrong. See my judgement and $2 will buy you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. It is simply my opinion, right or wrong.

I will attempt to refrain from any further negativity. Baylor has probably the most picturesque campus that I have seen. I look forward to seeing their new turf. They always seem to have a fleet of excellent athletes both football and swimming (the 2 sports I'm most familiar with). They do alot of things right. As to some of my negativity, it probably started several years ago with the red B's that were painted on my vehicle and has been compounded with less than sterling behavior on the part of overzealous students/fans both while I was a spectator, concession stand worker and simply a driver on the street. While those incidents are water under the bridge, some are hard to forget and impressions (right/wrong) are hard to change. I'm sure they probably have incidents of their own they can report. This is not meant to be an excuse, just an answer to the question of why. Emotions with this particular rivalry tend to run very high.

This is pretty funny. Bluemom, from the looks of it the Baylor posts have all taken the high road and you take the other road. Like someone else said for every story you have I am quite sure they have one about McCallie. After reading your post that started it, it is funny that you found a way to jab at Baylor...you went out of your way. I hope your streak ends this year. As for me Go Ooltewah!

I say EHS and MUS have the best starting lineups in the state. As an EHS football insider I can tell you this team is not very deep. If any of our key players are hurt for multiple weeks we are in some serious trouble, especially on our OL and DL. Last year we had 5 guys that tore their ACL and all 4 are playing this year, including our starting QB, CB, DE/TE and SS/future stud RB. If any of those guys go down we will be in for it.

I say EHS and MUS have the best starting lineups in the state. As an EHS football insider I can tell you this team is not very deep. If any of our key players are hurt for multiple weeks we are in some serious trouble, especially on our OL and DL. Last year we had 5 guys that tore their ACL and all 4 are playing this year, including our starting QB, CB, DE/TE and SS/future stud RB. If any of those guys go down we will be in for it.

The DII AA schedule is bruising so depth could really play a role in what teams make it to the final game, particularly with the extended playoff schedule.

In case anyone has not seen this.....Earl Nall's latest rankings for D2.

Div II AA

1 MUS (3-0) Defeated South Panola High School, MS (21-19) Memphis Overton

2 Ensworth (2-0) Defeated MBA (50-21) Open

3 Brentwood Academy (1-1) Lost to Father Ryan (34-35) at "Olive Branch, MS"

4 Baylor (3-0) Defeated BGA (34-14) Greater Atlanta Christian, GA

5 MBA (2-1) Lost to Ensworth (21-50) at Independence

6 McCallie (3-0) Defeated Pope John Paul (28-10) Tyner

7 CBHS (3-0) Defeated Clarksdale, MS (23-8) White Station

8 Father Ryan (2-1) Defeated Brentwood Academy (35-34) Antioch

9 BGA (1-2) Lost to Baylor (14-34) Pearl Cohn

10 Briarcrest (2-1) Defeated Kingsbury (65-42) Sheffield

Let me clarify...$2 at Starbucks is for a small regular coffee...not a venti --ccino of any kind. While I frequent Starbucks at various times (a really nice one at exit 66 on I-24 travelling home from Nashville games), I prefer Rembrandt's in the Bluff View Art District (great outside patio).

Point taken on the defense...great defenses can cause turnovers. Sometimes it is simply poorly executed offenses.

Let me clarify...$2 at Starbucks is for a small regular coffee...not a venti --ccino of any kind. While I frequent Starbucks at various times (a really nice one at exit 66 on I-24 travelling home from Nashville games), I prefer Rembrandt's in the Bluff View Art District (great outside patio).

Point taken on the defense...great defenses can cause turnovers. Sometimes it is simply poorly executed offenses.

Bluemom...the way you roll with the punches....I would bet that your son is tough as nails...humor is often the right response...as you so aptly demonstrate...I have always enjoyed your matter-of-factness and have always been struck by your obvious passion for the game...and I'm glad you post here...

I appreciate your honest response to my "why" (though I feel a bit sheepish about the avalanche that followed ...there for a while, I thought I was going to have to throw a yellow flag on my fellow posters for "piling on". :roflolk: ). I can understand how rivalries and the behavior they sometimes engender can color how we view an institution. I have been there myself and understand exactly where you are coming from.

I have seen the bad behavior too but I think what helps me get beyond some inevitable juvenile behavior is that McCallie is part of a broader community that I care about. I care not just because it is really a fine institution thats rigorously prepares boys for college and deeply cares about developing the character of young men, I care also because I have family, friends and kids that I have coached in little league that have gone to McCallie. McCallie has played an important role in shaping people I love and respect. How could I not care about McCallie? I care about BGA and MBA in the same way because I have friends that have taught or attended those schools. I know firsthand that those are really good institutions as well with fine academics and a genuine concern for developing character.

So for me, the football season is alot of fun, and I would really love to beat McCallie this year. The streak may end or it may continue. But regardless of the outcome, what I will be left with is knowledge that Chattanooga is very fortunate to have both MCCallie and Baylor. What they stand for is much bigger than a rivalry or a football game.