Cheer Up Dobyns Bennett! The Sky's NOT Falling!

TrenchWarrior

So D-B is 1-3 now, and their only win was over Sullivan Central, a 4A team playing 5A ball which has only won 1 game in 3 years. Why? I'll admit up front that I've not gotten to see them play, but a lot of the stuff I've heard and seen in the community seems addressed at coaches who know what they're doing or at HS kids who are doing everything they know to win games. Honestly, I think the more vitriolic stuff is a bunch of crap.

I've not gotten to see D-B play this year, but usually when a team struggles it's not because of the Xs and Os, it's because of the players, preparation, and attitude. Graham Clark and Co. have been there a long time. Hasn't he won over 75% of his games over 16.5 years along with tons of conference championships? They know what they're doing, even if people are grousing about not seeing the latest flashy offense like on TV. That's why I'm inclined to believe that coaching must NOT be the problem, no matter what people are saying. Heck, if D-B were to come out running a wishbone or single wing and win state with it, a lot of people would still call 'em stupid for not running "the spread" so they'd look like what's on TV!

With all the freshmen and 2 way players who are contributing for D-B this year, it makes me think that:

A.) This team just isn't as talented as it has been in the past, when D-B could "out talent" anyone locally on any given night.

B.) D-B is playing a tougher schedule than usual so far. Three games against undefeated teams! Wow!

C.) The players and maybe even some of the coaches in that program have been spoiled by undefeated regular seasons and doesn't know how to overcome adversity. This could be a valuable experience for them all in the long run. Particularly the younger guys.

D.) There might be some hidden, behind-the-scenes issues that aren't apparent on the field or even known to many inside the program.

I'm not a D-B fan or alum, but I am getting into the coaching field myself. I hear a lot of people dumping all over the coaches, calling for their heads as if running a bunch of spread sets with no legit passing game will magically cure all that ails them.

That is a VERY bad idea--just look at Sullivan Central, which has been trying this for a few years now in the Nelson era. They've tried "the spread" without being able to get the ball to those spread out receivers. When that happens, teams just man up and load the box. I know that all the big time offenses are running spread stuff now, but when you don't have that you actually have a better chance of mashing and grinding things out from an I formation with a TE or two against 9 in the box than you do from 4 wide against 7 man fronts. That's because sometimes you can use misdirection to open up a little crease or just get a pile of blockers at the point of attack and just grind, grind, grind at the defense until they're worn out or a RB eventually slips free and rips off a big one.

That's basically the appraoch Sullivan North takes with their Double Wing offense: bunch everybody up so that every player who's not running (even the QB) can get to the hole to block. They're at a ton of disadvantages there in terms of talent, feeder system, money, etc but they're 4-0 largely because of the great coaching job Robbie Norris has done, which included installing the Double Wing. The Double Wing has helped 'em level the playing field with low risk, consistent, mistake-free, disciplined football.

I think that Clark realizes D-B's offense is better off running than throwing at this point, so he's doing what he can within the framework of the I formation football that's been good to them for 17 years and will be again in the near future. He would be a fool to scrap that at midseason, even if it was to go Double Wing, since "systems" are more than just formations and plays. They're also a framework for practice organization, little techniques, terminology, adjustments, complimentary plays, philosophies, experience, etc. They have a good one at D-B that's been proven to work. You don't sell a classic car to the crusher just because the spark plugs are misfiring.

Also, it's worth noting that the 3 teams Dobyns-Bennett has lost to are each 4-0 now. The only remaining undefeated team on their schedule is Sullivan South. That looks like it could be a great game and as a fan it would be nice to see this rivalry make a comeback.

Now, if I understand the new playoff system correctly, all D-B has to do is finish with a better conference record than Science Hill to make the playoffs. Both teams are 1-0 in conference play, with 6 conference games left, including the head-to-head game that looks huge for both. Neither has played South or Tennessee High yet. This season is far from over. It honestly wouldn't surprise me to see D-B rally and go 5-1 or even 6-0 to close out the season with a 6-4 or 7-3 record. When that happens, half the people who are dumping on the coaches now will be praising their master motivational skills.

Im thinking that just maybe you might want to at least attend a game before you try to anal-ize the situation. And also you might want to pick another team besides Sullivan Central to compair DB to. You know the least about Dobyns Bennett than any one I've seen yet. Maybe you should persue another profession. Maybe selling shoes a Sears would be a good one.

I have watched DB play several times over the last 15 years or so. In my opinion, DB just doesnt have as much talent as they usually do and other teams have more. Leaving the game at halftime is just a slap in the face to those players. If those kids ever needed support, its right now! Just hang in there and support the players and coaches and hopefully you can turn things around. DB has always been a very classy program, but nobody likes to lose. I have sat through some pretty rough seasons over the last 10 years.....getting blown out 74-0, number of players getting down to about 38 on a team. But we still went to the games and cheered on our team. Good Luck and God Bless!

Friday evening I was listening to the "Football Friday" show here in Nashville and I listened to some pretty interesting comments regarding High School Football around the south. The Thom Abraham Show on dawghouse sports had a guest Jonathan Shaffer on who is a former personality from espn 106.7 affiliate(former) here in Nashville.

Jonathan spoke about his decade of coverage of HS football and mentioned a highlight story from E.TN and Sull South. He mentioned the tremendous story of the team rallying despite adversity and what an inspirational story it was for us all. Immediately afterwards, he began to speak about the Elite football programs in E TN and statewide for that matter. He noted that what makes teams elite is community support and not so much of having a strong financial backing.

DB is an elite program, and that is an understatement. The winningess high school football program in the state never goes unnoticed. Even in Nashville and surrounding areas. They got tremendous coverage last season while ranked #1 in the state. I quess my point is that whether rebuilding or not this season, the community has really been behind this program for years. Especially in comparison to some of the large schools I see here in Middle Tn. Coach Clark is a great man, and a great coach. The things I take from my playing days with him are more than football could ever teach. He really cares

about his players, and doesn't miss opportunities to help make men out of the boys that enter his program and leadership.

I look forward to seeing this teams' character as a result of this challenging start to the season. I know the community will stand behind them, now, and in the near future when things are back to the dominant ways that we are known for.

Keep fighting guys! The season is not over.