Big Games in Memphis ... Week 4

kwc

I saw a few highlights of the games on the news, and Whitehaven made a statement. I was not there so this is purely speculation, but they have some extremely tough D. We played them 1st round of the playoffs last year and struggled to move the ball. They are a very solid team on both sides of the ball. This is a great win for their program over a good CBHS team. On to our game..... Tonight was a bit of a heartbreaker. Our defense played their heart out and did everything they could to win the game. I saw defenders struggling to peel themselves off the swamp of a field towards the end of the game. The final stats showed how they left it all on the field as Keaton Baker's only completion of the game was to a Craigmont DB, Ricky Herron (who now has 4 INT's in 4 games). Cordova managed 50 yards of offense from what I read. If you told me that's what they would have for the game yesterday morning, I would have had you admitted to a mental hospital. I never could have imagined that we would contain them to that extent. A 1st half punt return on poor tackling gave Cordova their only score. Ive gotta give credit to Cordova's returner though....he made the first two miss and then found a crease along the sideline to make a huge play. We got on the board early in the second half, and then MISSED THE EXTRA POINT. It helps that we managed to somehow have 10 men on the field for the attempt as someone on the sideline was not paying attention to when they were supposed to be on the filed. We had our opportunities and did not capitalize. A fumble in Cordova territory, penalties and high snaps at inopportune times, and a crippling penalty at the end of the game. We completed a deep pass to Cordova's 2 yd line only to have it called back on a false start on a WR on the backside of the play. All that being said, Cordova played a good game and kept bringing pressure, making plays when they counted. This was one heck of a football game, but we end up on the short end of the stick again. That makes 3 losses to Cordova in the last 3 years by a total of 4 points. (Sorry for the lengthy post)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my synopsis of the WHitehaven vs. CBHS game on friday:

CBHS

From what i was able to grab from the game is that CBHS has a darn good run defense. The WHS RBs could not break lose most of the night. The WHS backs had some success running on the outside, however the inside was pretty much closed. THE offense of CBHS was totally shut down by the WHS defense, they were not able to run the football efficiently all night. There were some plays through the air that seemed to work (short passing plays to the corners) for CBHS. To the credit of the QB ,there were a few droped passess that were on target, which came at crucial times of the drive. All in all, the bright spot i saw from this CBHS team was the run defense which was wayyy above average.

Whitehaven:

First, the WHS run defense was just as stout as CBHS's defense. Both schools possess huge defensive lines and great size LBs. Great overall defenses on both sides (which is no surprise). Now here it is WHS fans: THE OFFENSIVE PLAY CALLING WILL KILL THIS WHS TEAM. FIRE THE OFFENSE C. RIGHT NOW!

(No offense to CBHS, but this game could have easily been 40-0 had the playcalling had not been so freakin predictable) All the offensive weapons for the tigers are not being utilized!! Im cool with them using the wildcat offense, however they only used 2 freakin plays the entire night: Shotgun> run with RB, and Shotgun> run with QB. It was very painful to watch becuase everyone in the audience knew that they were not going to overpower the CBHS front line. THere were a time or two when they tried to mix it up in the 3rd and 4th quarter. When they mixed it up, they were VERY successful and seemed to maximize their speed and talent. It seems in the big games the playcaller seems to play not to lose and not play to win, very conservative. Im a huge tiger fan and I support the staff at WHS, but they need to wake up and FIRE the playcaller, because he will cause the tigers to underachieve once again. With the caliber defense the tigers have and the athletes on the team, we should be blowing people out easily.

On a side note the tiger's defense actually played very smart, fundamental football. Good luck to CBHS and WHS on a succuessful season. By the way the atmosphere at WHS stadium was very good. Due to the long history between CBHS and WHS, it was obvious that both teams had a healthy respect for each other. Great game!

Here is my synopsis of the WHitehaven vs. CBHS game on friday:

CBHS

From what i was able to grab from the game is that CBHS has a darn good run defense. The WHS RBs could not break lose most of the night. The WHS backs had some success running on the outside, however the inside was pretty much closed. THE offense of CBHS was totally shut down by the WHS defense, they were not able to run the football efficiently all night. There were some plays through the air that seemed to work (short passing plays to the corners) for CBHS. To the credit of the QB ,there were a few droped passess that were on target, which came at crucial times of the drive. All in all, the bright spot i saw from this CBHS team was the run defense which was wayyy above average.

Whitehaven:

First, the WHS run defense was just as stout as CBHS's defense. Both schools possess huge defensive lines and great size LBs. Great overall defenses on both sides (which is no surprise). Now here it is WHS fans: THE OFFENSIVE PLAY CALLING WILL KILL THIS WHS TEAM. FIRE THE OFFENSE C. RIGHT NOW!

(No offense to CBHS, but this game could have easily been 40-0 had the playcalling had not been so freakin predictable) All the offensive weapons for the tigers are not being utilized!! Im cool with them using the wildcat offense, however they only used 2 freakin plays the entire night: Shotgun> run with RB, and Shotgun> run with QB. It was very painful to watch becuase everyone in the audience knew that they were not going to overpower the CBHS front line. THere were a time or two when they tried to mix it up in the 3rd and 4th quarter. When they mixed it up, they were VERY successful and seemed to maximize their speed and talent. It seems in the big games the playcaller seems to play not to lose and not play to win, very conservative. Im a huge tiger fan and I support the staff at WHS, but they need to wake up and FIRE the playcaller, because he will cause the tigers to underachieve once again. With the caliber defense the tigers have and the athletes on the team, we should be blowing people out easily.

On a side note the tiger's defense actually played very smart, fundamental football. Good luck to CBHS and WHS on a succuessful season. By the way the atmosphere at WHS stadium was very good. Due to the long history between CBHS and WHS, it was obvious that both teams had a healthy respect for each other. Great game!

Though I did not attend any games this weekend, this recap gives me a pretty good visual of the Whitehaven CBHS game. Thanks for taking the time to write this!

Congratulations Whitehaven! Hats off to the players and coaches. I am quite sure that fans, administration, and community also supported this effort in spite of the weather and conditions; hats off to them as well.

Just a reminder to the coaching staff and kwc. In most years, Whitehaven should win its fair share of games against the better teams out there. Whitehaven's coaching should realize that unlike most inner-city schools, they have qualities that are extremely favorable to fielding more than its fair share of championship caliber teams via performance and not just on paper or how they look getting off the buses. Consistently you have the physical attributes- numbers, size, speed, talent, and social attributes- smart players, incomes (kids can focus on football during the summer as opposed to working to support the family), and community support; to compete with the best teams in the state. So, unless there are serious issues with the administration's support of the football program, Whitehaven's less than average performances against the better teams out there, particularly in the play-offs lies directly with its coaching. No, I do not expect deep play-off runs every year, nor most years. But, I do expect a deep run once in a while. I am not ready to say that Whitehaven's coaching is good; but with a couple more wins like this along with the development of at least a fair kicking game (PATs and field goals), I will.

Again, congratulations Whitehaven!

To everyone picking against the HAVEN let me say THANK YOU... It is so necessary! The one game the Tigers lost DAM NEAR a third of the team got some kind of flu bug... Certain key guys were out and some others may have been 80-85 percent at best! But hey CBHS does have more everything than us.... More money, more discipline, more coaches, talent and obviously WAY more RESPECT... We should be lucky to get out of that game without being too embarassed!

BlackhavenSenator:

Like I said earlier ... time for redemption!

THANK YALL 4 PICKING AGAINST US WE NEEDED IT!!! :oops:

1) CBHS vs. Whitehaven @ Whitehaven

2) White Station vs. East @ Fairgrounds

3) Mitchell vs. Melrose @ J.P. Freeman

4) MUS vs. Olive Branch @ O.B.

5) Germantown vs. Houston @ Houston

6) ECS vs. Bolton @ Bolton

Prognostication:

Game 1, Winner ... Whitehaven ........ Score ... WHS 24, CBHS 20

Game 2, Winner ... White Station ..... Score ... WSH 28, East 21

Game 3, Winner ... Melrose ............. Score ... M 28, Mi 21

Game 4, Winner ... MUS ................. Score ... MUS 31, O.B. 21

Game 5, Winner ... G-town ............. Score ... G 24, Hou 10

Game 6, Winner ... ECS .................. Score ... ECS 28, B 17

There you have it. Well guys ... let's hear what you have to say.

We (the Haven) will beat CBHS... No other words until after the game... :P --- I TOLD U SO!RESPECT DA HAVEN

East will beat White Station 32-28 --- I WAS WRONG ON THAT 1! :)

Mitchell will find a way 2 lose 2 Melrose in a no Field Goals allowed game 26-24 Melrose ---I AM SLICK A GENIUS... HERE'S A QUOTE OF MINE FROM ANOTHER TOPIS "Earlier in the week I picked Melrose in a no field goals allowed upset but with all this DAM rain here in the city of Memphis I may need to fall back off of that pick... I say Mitchell if it continues to rain mainly because of their size and Senior QB... 20-12 Mitchell... HOWEVER, if the skies clear up this afternoon I'm still rolling with Melrose. THE SKIES CLEARED UP LOL

Home cookin down in OB will keep this game closer than what it should be 31-30 MUS ---RIGHT BUT WRONG SCORE :oops:

I see G-Town winning 20-10 over Houston. --- I FORGOT THAT SIR GREGORY WAS THAT DAM GOOD :oops:

ECS and Bolton... no prediction... I don't know enough about either club. :P

RESPECT DA HAVEN

Well
OB is definitely bigger' date=' faster, and more talented. MUS is better coached. I don't see OB running the ball very successfully against MUS. If they can pass the ball ,which I don't think they will enough, They can keep it close. If Brunetti is on in the air, then MUS makes this one look easy. Prediction MUS 24-OB 7[/quote']

I have had to eat crow once on the message boards already in this young season and might be doing it again after friday but i disagree with your predition. MUS has a good MLB but the rest of their defense is average. They have good coaching and that may be the only thing that keeps OB offense from running away with this game. Oh, Brunetti would be the other reason OB doesn't run away with this one. OB has had solid line play in the run game they are extremely large across the front and MUS will have to commit to stop the run but both QB's at OB have great abilty to run and pass which puts additional pressure on the defensive scheme. If OB does not hurt itself with turnovers and penalties it could be a long night for MUS defense. Once again i will be back next week for meal of crow if i end up wrong in my predicitons.

I would say that MUS coaching staff could take the OB team and possibly beat any high school team in the USA, That team is that physically gifted. It should be an exciting game.

Well my crow feast won't happen this week. Although not as bad as I predicted MUS wins 20-15. Crow is not my favorite, I've had it before :mrgreen: Now Whitehaven 21-0 over CBHS was a little surprising, Did you see the mud pool they were playing in? I think CBHS was at a big disadvantage playing in those conditions. They're probably not as prepared for that kind of field.

I'll have my crow with a glass of Sweet tea. Man i can't explain how OB loses that game. Oh i forgot MUS has Brunetti. I am finished picking against Brunetti. They will beat everyone else and win the private school champioship. No more MUS talk for me.

Well my crow feast won't happen this week. Although not as bad as I predicted MUS wins 20-15. Crow is not my favorite, I've had it before :roflol: Now Whitehaven 21-0 over CBHS was a little surprising, Did you see the mud pool they were playing in? I think CBHS was at a big disadvantage playing in those conditions. They're probably not as prepared for that kind of field.

cam6:

I didn't get to the game as I said earlier because of a prior commitment. However, when I saw the photos in the CA the next day ... I knew it was a muddy game. WHS' field is usually torn up in the middle of the field during this time of the season due to over usage and inadequate grounds keeping. I do agree however that the CBHS players and coaches may have been caught off gaurd by the conditions but with that being said ... conditions were the same for both teams on the field. I don't know how much of a disadvantage it could have been for CBHS if any, but playing in mud does have some affect on everybody involved, even the officiating crew. It's unfortunate that they had to play in such conditions but it's not the first time that a football game has been played on a muddy field. It's a part of the game.

Congrats to Whitehaven. Going into this game I said I was more worried about this game than the White Station game. While I didnt expect the score to be 21-0, I am not surprised Whitehaven won. Good luck the rest of the season.

You did indeed say that you were more worried about WHS then WSHS. I don't think anyone expected that scoreline. Thanks for the sentiment and may the CBHS football team have a very good season as well.