Big Games in Memphis ... Week 5

kwc

Wsttnballer, I do not know personally of a player who was recruited by ECS. But if there has ever been a player offered an "Academic Scholarship" to that school and the kid just happens to be a good athlete, I would be very suspect. I am sure some public schools have stepped outside the bounds to get a kid to play for their program. A major difference in the private schools recruiting is some of these coaches are getting pretty brazen about it and it involves tens of thousands of dollars. I read an email from a friend from Jason Smith, sports prep writer for the comm appeal and he state that the recruiting by the private schools is getting out of control. I have personally witnessed it. If ECS does not or never has done it, my hat of to you, it shows integrity!!!! Recruiting is wrong no matter how you slice it public or private and should be dealt with.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wsttnballer, I do not know personally of a player who was recruited by ECS. But if there has ever been a player offered an "Academic Scholarship" to that school and the kid just happens to be a good athlete, I would be very suspect. I am sure some public schools have stepped outside the bounds to get a kid to play for their program. A major difference in the private schools recruiting is some of these coaches are getting pretty brazen about it and it involves tens of thousands of dollars. I read an email from a friend from Jason Smith, sports prep writer for the comm appeal and he state that the recruiting by the private schools is getting out of control. I have personally witnessed it. If ECS does not or never has done it, my hat of to you, it shows integrity!!!! Recruiting is wrong no matter how you slice it public or private and should be dealt with.

Thanks for answering honestly. It struck a nerve when you called them out in an earlier response regarding recruiting. I know that some do recruit but I believe you'd be hard-pressed to lump ECS in that category. It also bothers me that most people hang the recruiting on private schools when we all know that public do it as well and it doesn't really matter how brazenly it's done, if it's done it's done and wrong no matter how you look at it.

As well as MUS has done this season, they still haven't played a game with their best running back, Keith McBride, who is the second highest rated prospect on the team (behind QB Brunetti). He is a speedy tank. Rumor has it that he will play against East. If so, East better wear all red to hide the blood. You really can't call the score; it depends on how much Brunetti plays and whether there is a "running clock"

shortening the game. MUS should cruise.

CBHS' loss to Whitehaven was a surprise to many. They are a good team, better than they have been for several years. No way will they lose at home to Millington, who is NOT as good as they have been for the last several years.

As far as ECS-USJ, WHO CARES? ECS chose to drop down a division and become the big fish in the little pond (II-A). The only way you can rate them is how they do against CBHS, the only real challenge on their schedule. I'll ignore them until them. By the way, it's absurd for them to be ranked #3 in the AP DII poll. There are at least 6 or 7 II-AA teams that are better (which is why they joined II-A).

I'm among many others that care about ECS vs USJ actually. Who cares if you ignore them, that's your choice. Believe me, the reason ECS chose to drop down had nothing to do with becoming the big fish in a little pond either. It's all about the #'s, ECS fell into the new classification of DII -A and decided to remain there rather than "play-up", which they did for 2 years and did quite well in all honesty.

As a matter of fact ECS is by far the largest school in DII-A. And you DID do "quite well" in DII-AA, so why switch? The only "numbers" ECS seems to care about is number of WINS. If you get a sense of satisfaction by beating the tar out of Bishop Byrne, Fayette Academy et al, rather than playing better teams and possibly losing, you go get 'em. But if I were an ECS supporter, I would want to play the best schedule you could handle. DII-A is NOT that. You're better than that. But have fun counting up all those "state championships" coming to you!

Trojanswars365, cam 6, and wsttnballer - you all are in need of an education, but I don't think any of you could pass the entrance exam to MUS, which is arguably the top ACADEMIC school in TN. You can't "open the school to anyone" (who can play ball). MUS can't just go out and spot an athlete and say "come on out to Park & Ridgeway....we'll find a spot fer you". There are no "special sections" for jocks or "basketweaving" courses. Strange as it may seem to you, people of their own volition actually come to MUS seeking a top-notch EDUCATION which will serve them well for the rest of their lives. Some may excel in sport(s), but if they do, YOU would automatically say they're on "athletic scholarship" and probably were "recruited" when in fact these kids and their parents came knocking on the door. After all, if you could get a scholarship (all of which are "needs-based") to a school with such great teachers, coaches, and facilities, wouldn't you take it? MBA in Nashville is the same way. I can't speak for any of the other schools - MUS and MBA are the only two I know from personal experience.

Back in the Dark Ages, before the public-private split, when I was at MUS, my best friend was on academic scholarship. His parents were quite poor. He was their only child - a genius AND an athlete. He had attended Overton, been bored to tears, and was always getting in trouble. His parents asked for a scholarship and he passed the entrance exam with "flying colors". (I also was a public school brat with brains and brawn, but my dad could afford the cost) When I asked him why he didn't play sports, I was sad to hear that if he did, his scholarship would not have been available, because it then would have been considered an athletic scholarship by the TSSAA (and obviously people like you) and back then there were stricter limitations on them. We both went on to top-notch universities, became successful professionals, and remain in touch.

A large majority of MUS' athletes have been going to school together AND/OR playing organized sports together since they were in grade school. Many are the sons (or grandsons) of MUS players. Most of their parents are professionals and/or people who believe in the power of education. You don't have to go out and "recruit" these kids.

I suggest that you (and your "friend of Jason Smith") get together and do an expose of those programs who are throwing around "tens of thousands of dollars." If you can get Jason Smith himself involved, I'm sure he could get a camera crew and aid in the interviewing and reporting. It's time to stop the corruption and bring "honor" back to HS sports!!!

Trojanswars365, cam 6, and wsttnballer - you all are in need of an education, but I don't think any of you could pass the entrance exam to MUS, which is arguably the top ACADEMIC school in TN. You can't "open the school to anyone" (who can play ball). MUS can't just go out and spot an athlete and say "come on out to Park & Ridgeway....we'll find a spot fer you". There are no "special sections" for jocks or "basketweaving" courses. Strange as it may seem to you, people of their own volition actually come to MUS seeking a top-notch EDUCATION which will serve them well for the rest of their lives. Some may excel in sport(s), but if they do, YOU would automatically say they're on "athletic scholarship" and probably were "recruited" when in fact these kids and their parents came knocking on the door. After all, if you could get a scholarship (all of which are "needs-based") to a school with such great teachers, coaches, and facilities, wouldn't you take it? MBA in Nashville is the same way. I can't speak for any of the other schools - MUS and MBA are the only two I know from personal experience.

Back in the Dark Ages, before the public-private split, when I was at MUS, my best friend was on academic scholarship. His parents were quite poor. He was their only child - a genius AND an athlete. He had attended Overton, been bored to tears, and was always getting in trouble. His parents asked for a scholarship and he passed the entrance exam with "flying colors". (I also was a public school brat with brains and brawn, but my dad could afford the cost) When I asked him why he didn't play sports, I was sad to hear that if he did, his scholarship would not have been available, because it then would have been considered an athletic scholarship by the TSSAA (and obviously people like you) and back then there were stricter limitations on them. We both went on to top-notch universities, became successful professionals, and remain in touch.

A large majority of MUS' athletes have been going to school together AND/OR playing organized sports together since they were in grade school. Many are the sons (or grandsons) of MUS players. Most of their parents are professionals and/or people who believe in the power of education. You don't have to go out and "recruit" these kids.

I suggest that you (and your "friend of Jason Smith") get together and do an expose of those programs who are throwing around "tens of thousands of dollars." If you can get Jason Smith himself involved, I'm sure he could get a camera crew and aid in the interviewing and reporting. It's time to stop the corruption and bring "honor" back to HS sports!!!

I'm not going to mention any names....But I do know of one private school in the Memphis area that does no recruiting. I know the head coach, and most of his staff, and they simply don't do it. Yet there are at least a couple of players I know of that were at public schools, left them, sat out this year so they could play for this coach next year.

My point is that many people see that kind of move by local atheletes and assume they were recruited. They don't understand why players would move to a private school to play for a particular coach, in a particular system. Most of the public schools lack the better coaching, facilities, etc....and that is without mentioning the typically superior academics the private schools offer.

Predictions:

CBHS 28 -- Millington 13

MUS 38 -- East 12....

----------------------------------

Mel 19 -- RW 14..... This will be the most exciting game of the night!

OB 31 -- 21

Finals:

CBHS 31 -- Millington 7..... Millington clearly has a very, very long ways to go!

MUS 42 -- East 16...... I'm officially OFF the East bandwagon! MUS is GOOD, really good!

------------------------------

RW 21 -- Melrose 19 ..... RW scores game-winning TD pass, w/ 30-secs left in game! Thriller!

OB 26 -- Southaven 15 .... OB is good, but will LOSE at South Panola next week!

1) Why are you continuing to mischaracterize my earlier post (5:11 pm), despite a follow-up post (11:09 pm) that points out your clear misinterpretation? :thumb:

All I said was telling cam6 he was not the one to get me riled up.

2) An insistence upon advancing a knowingly-false position demonstrates a lack of integrity...loss of credibility.

What????

3) I welcome and enjoy the exchange of good-faith opinions, ideas and viewpoints. It's not necessary or helpful to resort to absurdity.

Absurd? I am defending my team. I don't find that absurd.

4) Please be reasonable.

What was unreasonable? But I'll tell you what...I am gonna be reasonable and just drop this. I stick by every work I said and still believe Craigmont is the better team.

While this topic is "big games", let me extend a sincere congratulations to the Overton football team for beating Munford tonight. Overton had lost 24 of their last 25 and nothing could be "bigger" than tonight for those young men. Way to hang in there and good luck the rest of the way! I'm happy for you!!!!!

Always good to see MUNFORD lose. Way to Go Overton!!!...

Go Trojans!!

I would like to congratulate East for their effort against MUS. They stayed with them much of the first half. Few teams are able to do that. In fact, East held the ball @9 minutes of the first quarter, thus allowing MUS' offense only one possession, and the score was tied 0-0. That is what you must do to stay with the Owls - control the clock and keep their offense off the field. East has some very good players, just not enough of them. They had many players going both ways. MUS platoons and plays nobody both ways. That's why MUS quickly put East away when their players tired. Good luck to the Mustangs. You should do well in your league and advance in the playoffs. And special kudos for the tough schedule you have played! Few have the 'nads to do that.