Overton - How good are they?

12NCS

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have good athletes, a really good running game, and a good defense. Coaching is good as well.

Biggest question is depth. They may make the playoffs and make a decent run.

Two big questions here. One is depth which is the case with most metro teams. The other is special teams. Overton does not have a very good kicker or punter. Because of this against a good team if it comes down to field position or a field goal they will have the odds stacked against them. Overton has a great RB and a good WB on offense and defensively they have a pretty good DE, a good pair of LB, and the secondary bends but doesnt seem to break. I would say overall the bobcats have what it takes to make a deep run if they can stay healthy.

Its great to see Overton having a good year. To bad Hillsboro didn't stay in house for a coach instead of trashing the whole program by going outside. The new coaching staff is still moving players around after 5 games. To bad they can't be moved around...or out.

Agreed should have been Coach K. I hope it all works out for him. Someone let us know if he lands somewhere soon.

Its great to see Overton having a good year. To bad Hillsboro didn't stay in house for a coach instead of trashing the whole program by going outside. The new coaching staff is still moving players around after 5 games. To bad they can't be moved around...or out.

I wouldn't have a problem with going outside, as the last time they went outside the program as well despite having many quality assistants applying for the job, but I don't think this coaching staff is ready for the HHS football program. HHS is quickly falling back into being an MNPS also-ran again. I'll be interested to see if HHS makes any legitimate attempts to stop the freefall and get things back in the right direction. Right now, things do appear very bleak for the football program.

Overton is doing it the way it should be done and the students and parents are really excited and involved. It looks and feels like high school sports should be. On the other hand, we have Hillsboro. From what I have heard from players and others, nobody is buying into the coaches' systems...moving players to positions they have never played, belittling palyers, not letting parents or others watch practice, and this week not letting parents, friends etc. on the field after the game as usual. I am seeing alot of kids with their heads down and nobody coming to the games. Its a sad situation and I think there won't be a lot of returning players next year. I hope I'm wrong. I will keep coming and watching my kid and others kids play, but it sure is not fun to watch and not just because we are losing.

• 2 weeks later...
The last time that Hillsboro went outside to find a coach they hired Scott Blade from California. But then again Blade found Metro not the other way around. Why did Metro not place a phone call to Scott Blade's old school district in California and inquire about a good young coach?

The only real team that Overton has defeated is Father Ryan and they are just an above average team in D2 without a victory against any team with a winning record.

By having 8 classifications (6 in D1 & 2 in D2) you are going to see more bad teams make the playoffs than in past seasons. Place everyone back together in 4 classifications and watch the cream rise to the top.

How has the attendance been at the home games?
John Overton probably averages 400-500 fans per game. It's very sad but the student body today is nothing like the student body that John Overton had back in the 70's & 80's. It seems like the old John Overton alumni have moved south to Williamson County and their kids attend private schools or public schools Ravenwood, Brentwood & Franklin. There is a core group of alumni trying to keep the John Overton spirit alive but they are facing an uphill battle.

The last time that Hillsboro when outside to find a coach they hired Scott Blade from California. But then again Blade found Metro not the other way around. Why did Metro not place a phone call to Scott Blade's old school district in California and inquire about a good young coach?

The only real team that Overton has defeated is Father Ryan and they are just an above average team in D2 without a victory against any team with a winning record.

By having 8 classifications (6 in D1 & 2 in D2) you are going to see more bad teams make the playoffs than in past seasons. Place everyone back together in 4 classifications and watch the cream rise to the top.

cbg..great observation about playoffs..TSSAA will have alot of explaining after this playoff season..lots of bad teams with bad records are going to make the field and a lot of good teams with good records are going to be left(mad) at home. This playoff system is a joke :thumb: