AP 3A Football poll - Sept 22nd

BCsportsfan

Also, Alcoa doesn't play too many close games with anybody. For that matter, you would be hard pressed to find a team that statistically stayed with Alcoa like Milan did in the finals last year. Milan is a west team. Besides, you just can't say because we lost by 10 and you lost by 14, this team would beat that team. It just doesn't work that way

I wouldn't use Milan's offensive statistics against Alcoa as a positive if I were you. Milan didn't manage to get its second first down of the game until midway through the 4th quarter, when the score was already 28-7. And Milan's 7 points at that juncture had come on a blocked quick kick that was returned for a touchdown. Milan did have a good drive at that point that ended in its second touchdown.

Part of the reason for Milan's lack of offensive statistics was Alcoa's offensive game plan, which was more conservative than usual in that game. Alcoa so effectively dominated time of possession with its running game that Milan was able to run very few offensive plays. Milan's running game was almost completely shut down until the game was already decided. If memory serves me right, Gilbert had less than 20 rushing yards in the game.

Both CAK and Marion County moved the ball much more effectively against Alcoa in the playoffs than Milan did. Milan had a more physically imposing team than either CAK or Marion County. I don't know who would have won a Milan-CAK or Milan-Marion County matchup, but both would have been entertaining games.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CLASS 3A

Record Pts Prv

1. Alcoa (19) 5-0 199 1

2. Milan 5-0 156 2

3. Polk County 4-0 140 3

4. Elizabethton (1) 5-0 132 5

5. Camden 5-0 125 4

6. CAK 5-0 98 7

7. Austin-East 3-2 91 6

8. McMinn Central 3-2 38 9

9. Gatlinburg-Pittman 4-0 30

10. York Institute 4-1 15 8

Others receiving 12 or more points: 11, Sullivan North 14. 12, Goodpasture 12.

OK...so who is the homer voter that keeps giving Elizabethton a first place vote? Should be grounds for voter removal, Reason= Too Stupid To Live . We all want our teams to be thought of well around the state, but come on dry.gif

1. Alcoa (19) 5-0 199 1

2. Milan 5-0 156 2

3. Polk County 4-0 140 3

5. Camden 5-0 125 4

6. CAK 5-0 98 7

7. Austin-East 3-2 91 6

Key 3A matchups......

Elizabethton vs CAK

CAK vs Alcoa

Alcoa vs McMinn Central :roflolk:

Alcoa is #1

I think you can throw Milan, CAK, Camden & Austin-East into a pile and see what would happen. I hope and think the Dawgs can make it back to the finals but there are some very good high school teams out there on both sides of the bracket in 3A. I ran down the list of probable 32 playoff teams this weekend. looks like it will have a VERY heavy Eastern flavor to it.

Alcoa is #1

I think you can throw Milan, CAK, Camden & Austin-East into a pile and see what would happen. I hope and think the Dawgs can make it back to the finals but there are some very good high school teams out there on both sides of the bracket in 3A. I ran down the list of probable 32 playoff teams this weekend. looks like it will have a VERY heavy Eastern flavor to it.

Surely not! The eastern teams are merely riding the coat-tails of Alcoa! :roflolk:

Also, Alcoa doesn't play too many close games with anybody. For that matter, you would be hard pressed to find a team that statistically stayed with Alcoa like Milan did in the finals last year. Milan is a west team. Besides, you just can't say because we lost by 10 and you lost by 14, this team would beat that team. It just doesn't work that way

I wouldn't use Milan's offensive statistics against Alcoa as a positive if I were you. Milan didn't manage to get its second first down of the game until midway through the 4th quarter, when the score was already 28-7. And Milan's 7 points at that juncture had come on a blocked quick kick that was returned for a touchdown. Milan did have a good drive at that point that ended in its second touchdown.

Both CAK and Marion County moved the ball much more effectively against Alcoa in the playoffs than Milan did. Milan had a more physically imposing team than either CAK or Marion County. I don't know who would have won a Milan-CAK or Milan-Marion County matchup, but both would have been entertaining games.

I'll rest my case. Good luck to Milan the rest of the season.

I'll rest my case. Good luck to Milan the rest of the season.

Milan's Oline was subpar. Alcoa couldn't move the ball either despite a huge disparity in TOP and plays. 7 points off a halfback pass on 4th down. 7 off a reverse punt return. Well executed. Milan isn't as good this year as last IMO but still very good. Maybe they can make it back and change some things up.

Alcoa couldn't move the ball either despite a huge disparity in TOP and plays. 7 points off a halfback pass on 4th down. 7 off a reverse punt return. Well executed. Milan isn't as good this year as last IMO but still very good. Maybe they can make it back and change some things up.

That halfback pass throw by Jaron Toney was for 3 yards to Tyler Robinson for a TD. Alcoa only passed for 15 yards total. But, that was Alcoa's game plan to control the TOP.

Couldn't move the ball? Jaron Toney, offensive MVP still had 104 yards rushing by himself. The total for the team was slightly over 200 yards rushing. The reverse was Chase James for 79 yards. Almost 300 yards on the ground is moving the ball. :thumb:

1. Alcoa (19) 5-0 199 1

2. Milan 5-0 156 2

3. Polk County 4-0 140 3

5. Camden 5-0 125 4

6. CAK 5-0 98 7

7. Austin-East 3-2 91 6

Key 3A matchups......

Elizabethton vs CAK

CAK vs Alcoa

Alcoa vs McMinn Central :thumb:

I have to agree BC, These games will tell us a lot about Elizabethton, CAK, and McMinn Central.