Class 6A Playoff Bracketology

So that we will have a partial idea about how the playoffs will look this year, I've put together this list of qualifying teams for the Class 6A series based on some of the results to date.

The number beside each school name is the district of the school. If Week 6 was the last week of the season, there would be 27 automatic qualifiers. Because I don't have access to the "tie-breaking" data, I've used the Strength+Success Ranking to complete the field. Wildcard teams are marked with an asterisk.

The list is then broken into four quadrants, which I have roughly done based on districts. The brackets will be constructed for each quadrant with the intention of avoiding first-round games against district-mates.

Science Hill 1

Sevier County 2

Oak Ridge 3

Farragut 4

Maryville 4

Bearden 4*

Bradley Central 5

Ooltewah 5

McMinn Co. 5*

Cookeville 6

Warren County 6

Blackman 7

Oakland 7

Riverdale 7

Smyrna 7*

Franklin County 8

Lebanon 9

Mt. Juliet 9

Dickson County 10

Brentwood 11

Franklin 11

McGavock 12

Nashville Overton 12

Brighton 13

Arlington 14

Millington 14

Cordova 14*

Germantown 15

Houston 15

Wooddale 15

White Station 16

Whitehaven 16*

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So that we will have a partial idea about how the playoffs will look this year, I've put together this list of qualifying teams for the Class 6A series based on some of the results to date.

The number beside each school name is the district of the school. If Week 6 was the last week of the season, there would be 27 automatic qualifiers. Because I don't have access to the "tie-breaking" data, I've used the Strength+Success Ranking to complete the field. Wildcard teams are marked with an asterisk.

The list is then broken into four quadrants, which I have roughly done based on districts. The brackets will be constructed for each quadrant with the intention of avoiding first-round games against district-mates.

Science Hill 1

Sevier County 2

Oak Ridge 3

Farragut 4

Maryville 4

Bearden 4*

Bradley Central 5

Ooltewah 5

McMinn Co. 5*

Cookeville 6

Warren County 6

Blackman 7

Oakland 7

Riverdale 7

Smyrna 7*

Franklin County 8

Lebanon 9

Mt. Juliet 9

Dickson County 10

Brentwood 11

Franklin 11

McGavock 12

Nashville Overton 12

Brighton 13

Arlington 14

Millington 14

Cordova 14*

Germantown 15

Houston 15

Wooddale 15

White Station 16

Whitehaven 16*

Since I am knowledgeable about the Memphis area high schools I will take a stab at this just for fun. The first issue of business is seeding. Arlington (ARL) is presently 6-0 with a very questionable strength of schedule (sos). Germantown (GT), Wooddale (WD), and Whitehaven (WH) are all 5-1. White Station (WSHS) is 4-2, but of all of the teams listed, they have by far played the toughest schedule. Millington (MILL) and Cordova (COR) are both 3-3 with Millington having the tie breaker because they recently beat Cordova ... and beat them soundly. Houston (HOU), has a record of 2-4. Now ... out of district 14, ARL is currently undefeated, dispite their weak schedule so therefore they will be the top seed from that district. The top seed from district 15 will have to be decided between WD and GT because they are both 5-1. Using CoachT's strength of schedule percentage ranking and multiplying that by the CoachT Strenght + Success factor gives the following results:

GT = 34.9% x 1.183 = 41.286

WD = 22.8% x 1.061 = 24.1908

Therefore, GT will have the top seed from district 15. Since WSHS beat WH in the head to head meeting in district 16, then WSHS will have the top seed from district 16. Since we have three districts with top seeds we need to establish how they will be seeded overall. Using the same system we used to establish the top seed of of district 15 we have the following:

WSHS = 67.8% x 1.344 = 91.123

ARL = 21.9 x 1.219 = 26.696

Therefore from these results we appoint WSHS the top seed overall, with GT having the number 2 seed and ARL having the 3 seed. Now ... to distinguish the 4 and 5 seed we use the same process because both WH and WD are 5-1 ... therefore the seeding will be a result from the following:

WH = 44.0% x 1.273 = 56.012

WD = 22.8% x 1.061 = 24.190

So WH is the 4 seed and WD is the 5 seed. Since MILL and COR are both 3-3 with MILL having the tie-breaker then MILL is the 6 seed and COR is the 7 seed and HOU is the 8 seed.

Now, using the NCAA type seeding format then the top braket has 1 vs 8 facing the winner of 4 vs 5. The bottom bracket has 2 vs 7 facing the winner of 3 vs 6. We have a problem however. The purpose of seeding is to avoid first round games between two teams from the same district. The current seeding will have a first round game between two district 14 teams; ARL vs MILL in the bottom half of the bracket, therefore ... to avoid that situation we change the seeding between the 3 and 4 seed making ARL the 4 seed and WH the 3 seed. The resulting bracket is as follows with the first team listed being the home team:

TOP BRACKET:

(1) WSHS [D-16] vs (8) HOU [D-15]

(4) ARL [D-14] vs (5) WD [D-15]

BOTTOM BRACKET:

(3) WH [D-16] vs (6) MILL [D-14]

(2) GT [D-15] vs (7) COR [D-14]

Well ... that is my stab at it. What do you guys think?

Science Hill 1

Sevier County 2

Oak Ridge 3

Farragut 4

Maryville 4

Bearden 4*

Bradley Central 5

Ooltewah 5

McMinn Co. 5*

Cookeville 6

Warren County 6

Blackman 7

Oakland 7

Riverdale 7

Smyrna 7*

Franklin County 8

Lebanon 9

Mt. Juliet 9

Dickson County 10

Brentwood 11

Franklin 11

McGavock 12

Nashville Overton 12

Brighton 13

Arlington 14

Millington 14

Cordova 14*

Germantown 15

Houston 15

Wooddale 15

White Station 16

Whitehaven 16*

Since I am knowledgeable about the Memphis area high schools I will take a stab at this just for fun. The first issue of business is seeding. Arlington (ARL) is presently 6-0 with a very questionable strength of schedule (sos). Germantown (GT), Wooddale (WD), and Whitehaven (WH) are all 5-1. White Station (WSHS) is 4-2, but of all of the teams listed, they have by far played the toughest schedule. Millington (MILL) and Cordova (COR) are both 3-3 with Millington having the tie breaker because they recently beat Cordova ... and beat them soundly. Houston (HOU), has a record of 2-4. Now ... out of district 14, ARL is currently undefeated, dispite their weak schedule so therefore they will be the top seed from that district. The top seed from district 15 will have to be decided between WD and GT because they are both 5-1. Using CoachT's strength of schedule percentage ranking and multiplying that by the CoachT Strenght + Success factor gives the following results:

GT = 34.9% x 1.183 = 41.286

WD = 22.8% x 1.061 = 24.1908

Therefore, GT will have the top seed from district 15. Since WSHS beat WH in the head to head meeting in district 16, then WSHS will have the top seed from district 16. Since we have three districts with top seeds we need to establish how they will be seeded overall. Using the same system we used to establish the top seed of of district 15 we have the following:

WSHS = 67.8% x 1.344 = 91.123

ARL = 21.9 x 1.219 = 26.696

Therefore from these results we appoint WSHS the top seed overall, with GT having the number 2 seed and ARL having the 3 seed. Now ... to distinguish the 4 and 5 seed we use the same process because both WH and WD are 5-1 ... therefore the seeding will be a result from the following:

WH = 44.0% x 1.273 = 56.012

WD = 22.8% x 1.061 = 24.190

So WH is the 4 seed and WD is the 5 seed. Since MILL and COR are both 3-3 with MILL having the tie-breaker then MILL is the 6 seed and COR is the 7 seed and HOU is the 8 seed.

Now, using the NCAA type seeding format then the top braket has 1 vs 8 facing the winner of 4 vs 5. The bottom bracket has 2 vs 7 facing the winner of 3 vs 6. We have a problem however. The purpose of seeding is to avoid first round games between two teams from the same district. The current seeding will have a first round game between two district 14 teams; ARL vs MILL in the bottom half of the bracket, therefore ... to avoid that situation we change the seeding between the 3 and 4 seed making ARL the 4 seed and WH the 3 seed. The resulting bracket is as follows with the first team listed being the home team:

TOP BRACKET:

(1) WSHS [D-16] vs (8) HOU [D-15]

(4) ARL [D-14] vs (5) WD [D-15]

BOTTOM BRACKET:

(3) WH [D-16] vs (6) MILL [D-14]

(2) GT [D-15] vs (7) COR [D-14]

Well ... that is my stab at it. What do you guys think?

KWC, THE TRO :roflol: JANS ar 4-3

KWC, THE TRO :thumb: JANS ar 4-3

Oops ... my bad dou. But still, I gave it the ole' college try. I think District 13 should be included though.

You seem to have a much better handle on the playyoff scenarios than I, but i did think district 13 woul be in our bracket. Are you sure it is not?

Out of District 5, wouldn't Soddy-Daisy be in ahead of Bradley Central since both are 2-1 in the District and the Trojans beat the Bears head-to-head, or isn't head-to-head a tiebreaker anymore?

This whole thread is messed up...try again..I sure can't figure it out. :roflolk:

It's alright MCHSFAN everybody knows you are from Coffee County. I think there is a step by step video that has pictures that you might understand. You must be the 98 graduate whom ran the ball about every time and weighed about 260 and should have went to college and I believed tried to but was to stupid to make it through so you quit and now you are a volunteer coach for the middle school.