Dragons vs. Mustangs

cleansheet1

What a night for a Great Cause, it was AWESOME to see all the pink there.

The score however was not indicative of the game.

This was a physical battle with multiple fouls and yellow cards handed out played on a sloppy wet pitch, did I mention it was sloppy, muddy, slick ... I think you get the picture.

My unprofessional and somewhat biased analysis of the tonights game.

1st half

Mostly controlled by Houston, but not dominated. Houston had opportunities to score so did Germantown in fact about halfway thru Houstons Goalie came out and with a on rushing Germantown player bearing down on her the Germantown girl got there first played the ball by the goalie to what looked like a goal, as the ball was slowed down by the wet turf a Houston girl made a great hustling play to clear the ball just ahead of another Germantown player just outside of the goal. That close to being 1-0 Germantown which would have changed the whole complection of the game.

then HOUSTON SCORES with about 5 min to go in the half and that DID change things, you could tell the body language for both teams changed. Not the prettiest of goals but a goal no less, a little misplayed in front of the goal and it cost Germantown.

2nd Half

Houston asserted itself and Gtown moved defenders forward after a terrible call for a PK gave houston a 3-0 lead, 2 more goals against a tired, disheartened team made the final 5-0.

I would have liked to see Germantown get the 1-0 lead and see how Houston would react with the pressure squarely on their shoulders but that never materialized and as most predicted Houston won and wrapped up 1st place in the district.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dragons vs. Mustangs..... NOT

This was Red Devils vs. Mustangs ! How did we get here???

It is more fun to keep people guessing about what anyone is actually talking about....and keep changing topics within a thread....like going from Katie Hunter tournament to club soccer...never a dull moment on CoachT! :popcorneater:

Oops....did I change topics again?

houston 1 g town 0

gtown has 14 players in the box :roflol:

This is the score at the half.....don't want anyone to say that you are reporting mis-information before the final whistle blows! Houston goal came about 34 minutes into the half....however, I heard that G'town had 21 players in the box!

i don't think score accurately reflected game....better team won for sure......2 majorly questionable goals...that changed complexion of what was a competitive game.

it does get a little lame with all the insinuation that the reason other teams couldn't beat gtown or score on them was "all the people in the box".....you are not giving credit to the four to five girls that play their ....off to keep them in the games and even a chance to win....this team is learning to play with what they have and coach sugg ought to get coach of the year....he has done more with less than I've seen in a long time....

Well, Canes, you called that one right! Are you sure you weren't the center ref? :roflol:

Actually, if you didn't see it, it was a better game than the score reflects. I would pretty much agree with SmallTeamBigHeart's analysis. PK on an unfortunate call and also a goal that appeared to be a "save" on the ground, but then was called a goal. I guess the ref thought it broke the plane? But even without those two, clearly a strong Houston victory. They've just got so much depth! I was also impressed to see how hard they work to be first to the ball and then to play the ball quickly.

Second goal was a really super shot and that last one was sweet!

Congratulations, Houston!

I would have liked to see Germantown get the 1-0 lead and see how Houston would react with the pressure squarely on their shoulders .

At least two things you said deserve some comment. If you would have attended the Houston-Collierville match, you would have witnessed how both teams reacted. Collierville scored in the first 3 minutes and Houston responded right back. Houston scored 5 minuted later and Collierville responded. Houston scored again and Collierville responded. The game was 3-3 until the last 2 minutes when both squads pounded the goal. Cheers for Houston for finishing. Thats how they responded with pressure on their shoulders.

You also mentioned the score of the Germantown game was not indicative of the match. 5-0. You shared one charge that took place in the first half in which nothing prevented the goal. That from you and many others seemed to be the only offensive challenge that had any substance and the game was close?

No worries, the rematches are the next two weeks. Plenty of talking and walking ahead.

Great match Houston. You girls had a great win.

Me and the wifey made the short trip from Jackson to see the game. I have no dog in this fight, so im impartial on what happened . It was an amazing 1st half of soccer with the teams going back and forth . You could see that Houston was the better team but the Germantown defense was fighting tooth and nail as it was suppose to. I still say they were the better defense but Germantown had very little offense HECK THEY PLAYED 1 FORWARD. The big difference was that the Houston offense was so much stronger and skilled than Germantowns offense, that Houston offense continued pressure on the defenders , The weaker offense didnt pressure the Houston defense because they just didnt have the horses to do so. Houston scoring at the end of the half was the back breaker and it shouldn't have been , you could see that the game changed after that , shame on Germantown and kudos to Houston. Both teams had several chances but only Houston captialized , but them girls wearing the red jersey should not hang their heads in shame, because the Houston will surely be favored to win the big state title and they are not number 1 in the state just for the sake of being number 1. The 2nd half started out bad for the Red shirts and ended that way , it was a couple questionable calls but that had no bearing on the outcome. The Houston team had so much depth an it showed . From what I understand they are graduating more seniors than the whole Germantown has players, not sure if that is true but gee it look like the Houston team had 5 times as many players on the bench if not more.

From what I understand the schools are like 3 miles apart an boy does this make

for a great rivarly. I know this showed last night because it was standing room only and it was good time I know it was tied in with the breast cancer game and im sure that helped. IF THEY HAD A REMATCH AGAIN TONIGHT WE WOULD MAKE TRIP IF POSSIBLE, BECAUSE IT SUCH A GREAT ATMOSPHERE!! I know that the boys get all the ink for football but that last night was just as good as many high school football games I have seen over my years. That speaks volume for how far ladies soccer has come and its contiuous growth. Both sides should be proud that they are helping others in the state to see that yes there is SOCCER IN THE WEST. Good luck to both programs and my hat is off for a job well done !

houston 1 g town 0

gtown has 14 players in the box :motorbike:

This is the score at the half.....don't want anyone to say that you are reporting mis-information before the final whistle blows! Houston goal came about 34 minutes into the half....however, I heard that G'town had 21 players in the box!

i don't think score accurately reflected game....better team won for sure......2 majorly questionable goals...that changed complexion of what was a competitive game.

it does get a little lame with all the insinuation that the reason other teams couldn't beat gtown or score on them was "all the people in the box".....you are not giving credit to the four to five girls that play their ....off to keep them in the games and even a chance to win....this team is learning to play with what they have and coach sugg ought to get coach of the year....he has done more with less than I've seen in a long time....

It's a joke, but some who was there and is unbiased (jacksonsteve) said G'town played one forward. Not giving credit, not taking it away. I was not there. Were you? :popcorneater:

I was there and they played 4-5-1, not 9-1.. and they couldn't have had 21 players in the box because they don't have that many players on the team!!

I think it would be great to combine Germantown's defense with Houston's offense. What a great team that would be!! We could call it.. oh, I don't know.. Saint Agnes?? lol

I was there and they played 4-5-1, not 9-1.. and they couldn't have had 21 players in the box because they don't have that many players on the team!!

I think it would be great to combine Germantown's defense with Houston's offense. What a great team that would be!! We could call it.. oh, I don't know.. Saint Agnes?? lol

You know it just shows to go you, that even Cruella Deville can learn from an old dawg. You take one great defense and one super fast, dazzling offense and you get an undefeated school that has the Pope on its side. Is Baylor Catholic???? :motorbike::motorbike::popcorneater::motorbike:

4-5-1 was what i saw until last 10-15minutes of game...then 4-2-2

they really need to find a way to get two forwards up on regular basis...defense is probably good enough to sustain with only 4 mids and might help keep the ball off of them a little longer.

However, most of the time, the mid fielders are packed pretty tightly in the defensive third of the field giving the look of playing 9 defenders though...