District 10AA - Who's on Top?

doctorno

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

After a couple of district games, I am not sure too much has been settled. The CPA - East Literature game tomorrow night should be pretty good. Both seems to be playing well and East Lit is rank higher on the Coach T site (if that is reliable this early in the season). They have had one common opponent in Creekwood. I believe that CPA won that game at neutral site but East Lit lost against Creekwood. East Lit also lost to Shelbyville which has a storied program.

CPA's 3 overtime win against Ensworth was a good win, but both teams played sloppy down the stretch and gave the other opportunities to win.

I am not sure that Hume-Fogg has as good a team as last year. The loss of Bagwell seems to be hurting them. I haven't seen Libscomb play yet, but I am sure they are well coached and are always competing for the district championship. Anybody seen the Lipscomb girls play this year?

Pearl-Cohn seems to be struggling but may put things together before the season is over.

Who else is playing well?

East Lit. got a BIG win over CPA last week 50-46 with a big second half. East certainly seems to be the suprise of the district so far this season. Although, they did get spanked by Lawrence County on Saturday night 58-25. LC has had some pretty good teams in the past. I assume they are pretty good again this year.

Up until the East game, CPA appreared to be cruising. I would expect them to bounce back. Time will tell.

Lipscomb is winning but it isn't pretty sometimes. They are finding ways to win, though. They have gotten up big on some teams but haven't held on to those big leads a couple of times. Also, they got down early to Maplewood and battled back for a double OT win. It was a thriller, but I was a bit surprised Maplewood played them so close. DL beat Pearl Cohn Friday night by 2. Again, had a double digit lead but then had to hang on.

PC is definitely improved this year but not in the upper group yet (in my opinion). I still think it's going to come down to CPA, East, DL and maybe Hume Fogg. I haven't see HF play and haven't read much about them either. I could be totally wrong (I often am!) but I don't see any team running away with the district. I think the last games on the last night will determine the champs.

We'll see.... :lol:

Congrats to Kelli Cowan on her 1000th point!! Congrats to Jamie Webb on a 22 pt game!

I think the top dogs are definitely CPA, East Lit, and David Lipscomb. I think East Lit's win over CPA was crucial for them in the standings. CPA is a mental team, and now East Lit is in their head. Dr No is right that DL gives up leads, this is because they never keep the starters in the game when they get a good lead. Lipscomb is all about giving all the girls an opportunity to play. This leads to a set of five on the floor that are not used to playing together in practice, much less in a game. While the varsity playing time is good experience for the younger players, it means no huge wins and sometimes losing games they should have won. This was DL's problem last year. The players were never able to get into a rythym because of too many substitutions. Mind you.. they have a solid program every year, so maybe losing a few games is worth the playing time for the younger girls. Remember.. this is nothing but standings for the tournament. My money is on Cowan and East Lit, but I'd love to see DL keep improving. CPA.. super experienced and some veterans that are used to winning. Great year for 10AA. I like the competition and make-up of this new district. Great parody and games the fans are really enjoying. As usual.. refing is subpar, but it is high school :thumb:

CPA and East Lit are the best by a good distance at this point. I am surprised how CPA played that game. CPA normally keeps the post locked down so that it is a low scoring game against a known tough opponent. Cowan is the best all around player in the district. She is the best shooter. CPA has great coaching and incredible game preparation, so will get the next one and walk into the district with the top seed.

I agree with Morton and Dr. No about Lipscomb. I've seen some of the best players for this team the past few years, but it seems that if a player gets on a 'run' and scores, they are pulled for a substitution. I have heard there are politics in play at Lipscomb, and while I don't know if this is a fact, it sure looks like it when you watch them play. The last time I saw a true team from Lipscomb was 05/06 season. I understand the next year of a bunch of basketball coaches daughters played, which was a good season. Last year, Lipscomb's defense was the best in the district, but there was a confidence problem offensively, and that is usually because of fear of being benched for missing a shot, or lack of cohesion on the floor between teammates.

I commend CPA and Lipscomb for staying with D1, versus becoming 'scholarship athletic schools,' so I hope Lipscomb coaches can learn to play the best players for a full game versus appeasing parents who threatened to take their girls to Ensworth or BA if they do not start or get significant playing time. CPA seems to have it figured out. They play the best players the entire game, and let the younger players develop in practice in AAU/Off-season.

My predictions based upon what I've seen...

CPA wins district, with East Lit a close second. HFA and PC for close 3rd and 4th. Lipscomb will round out the the top quad.

Best of luck to whomever prevails against a very strong AA group statewide this year.

I agree with Morton and Dr. No about Lipscomb.

Just a quick clarification: all I said was that Lipscomb was getting some big leads but not holding onto them at this point. Just stating a fact. Since the first 2 games (both losses) they have gotten everybody healthy, have gotten into some pretty good rotations and are pulling out the wins. I've seen every game Lipscomb has played and don't necessarily agree with Morton or Nut about why that is happening. Just glad they are winning... :thumb:

Glad to see some posts though. Agree or disagree.... :lol:

It would appear that East Lit made a big statement beating CPA in this district and are now the team to beat. I thought that CPA's pressure defense (full and half court) was just awful and allowed East Lit to get back into the game in the second half. East Lit must have broken the press ten times in a row for easy layups. I was very surprised that CPA did not adjust, pull off the press and make it a half court game but they stuck with it and were punished for it. East Lit was just too quick for CPA that night. Congrats to East Lit for doing what they had to do to win.

Oh, and no way Lipscomb finishes fifth. They are better than that. Top 3 is the prediction here... :thumb:

Well, talk about jinxes. Immediately after my last post DL's leading scorer goes down with a knee injury against FRA. Since then they have struggled to find a rythym without her. DL finally had everyone (relatively) healthy and they were playing pretty well together. Hopefully the team can pull it together while she's out and get back in a groove. At times in the Overton Christmas Tournament they looked good and at times they looked out of sync.

DL has a 2 big tests this week: tonight at East Lit. and Friday at home vs. CPA. We'll see how it goes. I still think DL has the stuff to make a run for the top 3 spots, but no predictions here (so hopefully no more jinxes)! :thumb: